GIK Acoustics Panels..

Options
I just ordered some new panels from GIK, we went with the 2″ Impression Pro Series Acoustic Panel Diffuser/Absorber.

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/impression-2inch-acoustic-panel-diffusor-absorber/

Do any of you guys use these?? Your thoughts??

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,908
    edited January 2022
    Options
    We went with something like these but in different sizes..

1vsrsngr1aer.jpeg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    I use panels from Soundproofcow.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

That’s a new one for me, never heard of them. Looks like they will just about customize what you need or want? What were their prices like compared to GIK?

• Toolfan66
    Options
    We also went with some solid white 4” panels to hang from the ceiling.. 24 X 48
  • F1nut
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

That’s a new one for me, never heard of them. Looks like they will just about customize what you need or want? What were their prices like compared to GIK?

Not sure, I didn't compare. I wanted two sets of different custom sized panels with beveled edges. They also had an exact fabric color I wanted.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jumpindick
    Options
    I ordered some bass traps, alpha series panels from GIK sometimes last year. I would say that they do what they are suppose to do, but I was a bit disappointed by their built quality. May be it was just my order...
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,278
    Options
    jumpindick wrote: »
    I ordered some bass traps, alpha series panels from GIK sometimes last year. I would say that they do what they are suppose to do, but I was a bit disappointed by their built quality. May be it was just my order...

I've heard that from several people I don't think it was just your order.
  • F1nut
    Options
    My Soundproofcow panels are very well done.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,042
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I use acoustimac panels. Built just fine... The price was much lower than gik and they work as well.

I had gik many moons ago
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    I got two bass traps last year, and generally feel the same. I don’t notice at all once they are in place, but when I unboxed them I felt they really seemed a little rushed and just not super well finished. Again, nothing awful, but it did stand out to me.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,187
    Options
    I haven't tried anything but DIY but I learned something interesting in my online reading, which is that if they are mounted with an air gap between them and the wall they absorb better, especially the lower frequencies. Here's an example with PET felt:clz4h1sspv2h.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Well, they work, fantastic selection of fabric/designs including your own art, high quality, look great. They will also help you out with products and placement suggestions. I started with GIK products in 2006.

I have four GIK corner bass Tri traps (two stacked), thick 4" GIK acoustic panels in Guilford of Maine Silver Papier and a 2" thick GIK Art Panel between the speakers with Jasper on it. He slaps on it everyday in the morning and sits on the amp when its on. Can't get the Texas cat out of him, loves the heat.

sigw3lj37t95.jpg

dpiwx2qwn7y8.jpg

40clkvoibqiv.png

Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Previous room setup where I worked on muting the rear wave from ESL panels. Cancelling that rear wave made for a real small sweet spot but man what a sweet spot that was.

Both speakers boxed by corners caused tremendous bass problems. Way too much. (The folded transmission line bass modules on the Sanders ESL's are amazing!) GIK suggested stacking the Tri Traps and that worked. I went back to the long wall after this setup. The Salk SS8's sounded best with different arrangements of treatments. I use Dayton Audio OmniMic V2 to measure the room response. Adjust speaker placement and treatments to get the best results.

j8t1ns107n6d.png
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    These finally shipped out, should be here sometime today, looking forward to getting my eyes on them..

Ordered them on DEC 27th getting them on MAR 27th, just short of 13 weeks (12.857) 90 days, but who's calculating?? LOL!! :D
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    So 13 weeks of waiting and my order is wrong.. Go figure!!! I expect more from a company like GIK. Lets see what they do to rectify the situation.

Very disappointed.. :/
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    That’s pathetic!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Ughhh
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Wrong panels altogether or wrong design/fabric?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    lmn9ede8bcj3.jpeg

The pattern on the left is what I ordered for all of my panels, well the 24 x 24’s came with the pattern you see, had they all been wrong I may have just asked for a discount and moved on, I don’t hate them, but I want them to match..
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    I sent this email to them in February when I learned it would be awhile before I get them..

lc4getinpw1i.jpeg
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    Options
    When I ordered panels from them a few months back, there was a lead time of more than two months. They did not say/indicate anything about the lead times when placing the order. The excess of two month wait time turned up immediately after I clicked the purchase button. So then I waited. When I received the order, I was less than thrilled about their quality. The way they have marketed their products, and the reviews you read, you'd expect the quality to be top notch. The corner bass traps I ordered had damaged end caps. They sent replacement right away. One of the 4x2 panels had fiber glass material coming off of the frame. I called them and they offered 15% discount. I took it as by then I had decided to mount that panel along with some more on the ceiling. For the money they charge, their quality is expected to be up there, but they are falling behind on it. However, as for the sound treatment, they do what they are suppose to do.
  • F1nut
    Options

President of Club Polk

• lms
    lms Posts: 26
    Options
    I bought some panels from Gik. Had no idea that when I ordered them that it would take over 2 months to ship. Maybe I didn't read the fine print. They work fine, have them behind my couch, but the workmanship was subpar. Invest in a steamer and steam out the wrinkles in the fabric before you ship them. When you attach your emblem, put them on straight. I'm pretty handy, could have made these myself, but thought I'll have the pros do it because it be awesome. Pfffffftttttt.
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    Options

Would you know anything about how much their panel costs? Just curious...
  • F1nut
    Options

Would you know anything about how much their panel costs? Just curious...

Sorry, I don't remember what the cost was for mine.

President of Club Polk

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    Just adding to this thread, I was also very frustrated with the lead time on my bass traps. When they arrived, they look fine once set in place, but up close and handling the units... I was expecting better craftsmanship. Thanks for posting the link to an alternative @F1nut. If I end up with more treatments, I'd likely explore other options.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,080
    Options
    We live and learn .... a lot!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    I bought 4 soffits from Gik, took 12 weeks. They arrived and it required a couple replacements. The soffits are now revised, the newest ones are better with better end caps.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound