Dust Covers for unused ports

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
edited January 2022 in The Clubhouse
First I’d like to thank @Rick88 for sending me down the rabbit hole of covering unused ports :smile:.

Since purchasing some of those Red and White RCA silicone dust covers from him I’ve continued to buy covers for used ports to either try and reduce noise, or just keep them from getting filled with dust.

For my more important gear I bought these RCA covers, as well as these balanced in and balanced out covers.

For my cheaper stuff I still use Ricks covers.

Main reason for this post was to point out some additional covers I stumbled across.

Adafruit sells covers for USB A, also USB C (not linked), Ethernet and HDMI ports. They are stupid cheap so stock up and go wild.

I bought a few packs of each and they work well and blend in nicely.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Im am counting my unused RCA jacks already to order me some....looks like 28. Thanks!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited January 2022
    On the hunt for diamond encrusted and cryo treated, quantum charged
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • EndersShadow
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Im am counting my unused RCA jacks already to order me some....looks like 28. Thanks!

FWIW I was told these are the Cardas ones just without the branding of course lol…
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    VR3 wrote: »
    On the hunt for diamond encrusted and cryo treated, quantum charged

Of course you are.....
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Tks, need me some of those..
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    I've got a good sized baggie of the silicone red and whites that I got from Rick as well. Never got around to using them. Free karma to anyone that wants them.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I've got a good sized baggie of the silicone red and whites that I got from Rick as well. Never got around to using them. Free karma to anyone that wants them.

I'll take them if you let me pay shipping.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Hermitism wrote: »

I'll take them if you let me pay shipping.

PM me your info. Shipping should only be a couple bucks, not worried about that.
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    So what should you use, RCA condoms or shorting plugs? I'd assume shorting plugs on inputs.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704

FWIW I was told these are the Cardas ones just without the branding of course lol…

Those are most definitely not Cardas.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    F1nut wrote: »

Those are most definitely not Cardas.

xb6i1kmsc98j.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    @F1nut …. They look remarkable close….. but I’m not going to do a ton of research to verify one way or the other lol…

They work and do what they are supposed to so I got no complaints.

The XLRs are also quite nice and heavy.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    The Cardas ones are 5 bucks a pop on Amazon. Plus I found a guy on the Emotiva forum that will cryo treat them for only an additional 5 bucks a pop. Darnitt.....wonder if I can return my Ebay ones!?!
  • EndersShadow
    The Cardas ones are 5 bucks a pop on Amazon. Plus I found a guy on the Emotiva forum that will cryo treat them for only an additional 5 bucks a pop. Darnitt.....wonder if I can return my Ebay ones!?!

Link to Amazon Cardas ones lol…
  • txcoastal1
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Yes, but my covers will have provenance because they were owned by the great Ken Brydson and Rick88.
  • EndersShadow
    @txcoastal1 thise Cardas show as 19.90 + 4.67 shipping…

I’m trying to find the 5.00 ones @kevhead72 is talking about lol…
  • txcoastal1
    @txcoastal1 thise Cardas show as 19.90 + 4.67 shipping…

I’m trying to find the 5.00 ones @kevhead72 is talking about lol…

If you divide by 4 = $5... B)

• F1nut
    @F1nut …. They look remarkable close….. but I’m not going to do a ton of research to verify one way or the other lol…

They work and do what they are supposed to so I got no complaints.

The XLRs are also quite nice and heavy.

They are similar in design, but not in construction. The ones in your link are an Apollo AV in house design.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    edited January 2022
    But is a Cardas @ $5ea. Going to be any better than the Apollo @ $0.80ea ? I don’t really know what the material or construction difference is between the two.

Edit:
    Apollo is Teflon Nickel Plated..

Cardas is Billet Brass Nickel Plated..

So the Cardas would be better built, and definitely feel hefty compared to the Apollo. So the question really is, is there a performance difference or are they just a dust cap??

Here is a 50pk of Apollo AV for $40

https://www.ebay.com/itm/400813863894
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Nickel plated Teflon...?!?
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2022
    Here is what I found,

So it is Nickel Plated Brass as well with Teflon Insulation PTFE..

Body - nickel plated brass
    Insulation - PTFE (Teflon) for superior noise rejection
    ROHS compliant - yes
    Made in Taiwan

I went off the description in the ad, my bad.. 😃

So it makes the price of the Apollo’s look a lot better..
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    ahh, Teflon insulation :) That's cool.

FWIW, while all of these these plugs are nice, in the absence of an electrical connection with the center ("hot") conductor, I don't see how they help with any sort of RFI or other electrical noise rejection. Shorting plugs would, but any of them that are just caps shouldn't short an "RCA" style jack, by design (of the jack).

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471

Lmao cryo treated ......
    Yea buddy omg still lmao 🤣😂🤣😂

• F1nut
    edited January 2022
    But is a Cardas @ $5ea. Going to be any better than the Apollo @ $0.80ea ? I don’t really know what the material or construction difference is between the two.

I bought a bunch of Cardas caps a long time ago. They were more like a buck, maybe two each. The Apollo caps weren't available back then.

I would say they are similar materials and do the same thing.

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

That’s actually what I bought. Need to buy some more as I ran out.

Wish they had larger sets of the XLRs
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »

Lmao cryo treated ......
    Yea buddy omg still lmao 🤣😂🤣😂

If I'm not mistaken, if you send those caps to F1 he will for an additional $5 give it the Royal Dingus treatment (pat.pending)
    Sal Palooza
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2022
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

That’s actually what I bought. Need to buy some more as I ran out.

Wish they had larger sets of the XLRs

I picked some up for the hell of it, I agree on the XLR's..

I wonder how many they sold in the last couple days because of this thread. LOL!!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited January 2022
    I got the ones I got from Rick on my Vincent preamp for keeping the dust out, however those Apollo ones for the price might be worth checking out or maybe splurge for the Cardas ones. I also question how they would help with electrical noise, wouldn't even be able to look and admire them when the equipment is in a rack.

I would like to hear how they are an improvement if any, whether they are dingus modified or non dingus modified. Those who try them please post the results.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)