Where To Go To Get Warm?

Options
audioluvr
audioluvr Posts: 5,438
edited December 2021 in The Clubhouse
Anybody here have any recommendations for places to move where it's warm in the winter, not overpopulated, country property is still inexpensive and did I mention not overpopulated?

The S.O. and I are sick of winter, people, traffic, politics and did I mention people? Somewhere social media doesn't exist, or Fox/ABC/CBS/NBC/CNN/News Max news.

We like Mexico but unless we are ordering more drinks we don't understand what they are talking about. Of course there are advantages to that if they are talking about the news...

Thoughts?
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Costa Rica and Belize have become popular for US expats in recent years.
    Several of Mrs. H's birder chums have made the move.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Good luck finding that.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    I may be retiring to Costa Rica, check it out.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    wonder how mucha it costa to move there? :*
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,189
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Louisville CO. Yesterday it was a little too warm but one of the best towns in the country to live in and will be again. So sad for those people who lost their homes! Warm in the winter in the sun anyway. Not really warm though.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,277
    edited December 2021
    Options
    San Francisco is supposed to be nice.
    Sal Palooza
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    My uncle built a huge place in Panama.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    Options
    We are seriously looking at Belize. They have an excellent expat program, English is the primary language, and still fairly economical to live there.
    Was talking to a couple friends of mine about it. She said "it's a lawless place". I was like, ooh! Sounds perfect!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    North Carolina!

77 degrees and sunny tomorrow!

House's from 80k and up!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Arizona, Sierra Vista area would be nice.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    North Carolina!

77 degrees and sunny tomorrow!

House's from 80k and up!

Interesting . . . name 2 counties and a couple of towns where this is available (so I can do some sleuthing)

TY Trey
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    Turn off the TV. That's 3/4ths the battle.

Complete the quest by moving South. Done deal.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    We are seriously looking at Belize. They have an excellent expat program, English is the primary language, and still fairly economical to live there.
    Was talking to a couple friends of mine about it. She said "it's a lawless place". I was like, ooh! Sounds perfect!

Had a coworker from Belize, it is a beautiful place .
    However, according to my friend there are some "problems" with gangs.

He, in fact, left Belize due to certain circumstances involving a machete.

Good luck on whatever and wherever your choice takes you 👍

Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I really like Bermuda -- but it's not inexpensive for non-Bermudians.
    Highest standard of living in the Western Hemisphere, though -- or at least it was back when we used to go there every February to get away from Boston winters for a little while.

ccmut4ed2qc5.jpg
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    I mean really... All over... Surrounding areas of Charlotte all the way until you reach Raleigh.

Rowan County, Cabarrus County, Gilford County and many more. .. Alot of affordable housing in the Greensboro area. Some locations are remote enough to where your neighbors will be cows or as crowded as a studio apartment with one window overlooking your neighbors
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Had a coworker from Belize, it is a beautiful place .
    However, according to my friend there are some "problems" with gangs.

He, in fact, left Belize due to certain circumstances involving a machete.

Good luck on whatever and wherever your choice takes you 👍

If your friends would have hooked up the local authorities with fishing trips and free booze at my Cabana and grill, that never would have happened. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    Options
    You have to befriend one of two groups. Organized crime or the police force. I prefer the police force. You need to watch more crime movies... Okay, I hope I remember this comment in the morning. Happy New year!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,277
    edited January 2022
    Options
    You have to befriend one of two groups. Organized crime or the police force. I prefer the police force. You need to watch more crime movies... Okay, I hope I remember this comment in the morning. Happy New year!

Unfortunately, the persons that my Belize friend "interacted" with had extensive "contributions" to the local police benevolent fund so they would have been more inclined to side with the offended party.
    Seems they were involved in some aspect of the pharmaceutical industry

Besides, it never would have made it to the official police stage.
    Never.

Say, ever hear of the Deep Blue Hole off of Belize ?
    It's pretty deep. 😳

q1s11qwle157.jpg

Sal Palooza
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    Options
    Violent crime – such as sexual assault, home invasions, armed robberies, and murder – are common even during daylight hours and in tourist areas. A significant portion of violent crime is gang related. Due to high crime, travelers are advised to exercise caution while traveling to the south side of Belize City. Local police lack the resources and training to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents. Most crimes remain unresolved and unprosecuted.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    q1s11qwle157.jpg

That's a deep subject.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audioluvr
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Violent crime – such as sexual assault, home invasions, armed robberies, and murder – are common even during daylight hours and in tourist areas. A significant portion of violent crime is gang related. Due to high crime, travelers are advised to exercise caution while traveling to the south side of (insert any major city here). Local police lack the resources and training to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents. Most crimes remain unresolved and unprosecuted.

Fixed it.

Maybe you didn't catch my first post about wanting to stay far away from people.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Check out Roatan. It’s a small island off the coast of Honduras. Really nice place. I have been a few times and have always felt safe. Many ex-pats.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Violent crime – such as sexual assault, home invasions, armed robberies, and murder – are common even during daylight hours and in tourist areas. A significant portion of violent crime is gang related. Due to high crime, travelers are advised to exercise caution while traveling to the south side of (insert any major city here). Local police lack the resources and training to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents. Most crimes remain unresolved and unprosecuted.

Fixed it.

Maybe you didn't catch my first post about wanting to stay far away from people.

I did, and I agree. A couple weeks ago I was looking at the crime wave growth in a lot of these places, especially where it is warm, and I remember reading about Belize. St Thomas is very bad as well right now. Covid has changed the course of a lot of things, and not for the better, if you’re an outsider going into a lot of these places you are at a very high risk of being a target..

• mhardy6647
    Options
    We go to church with some folks who spend their winters somewhere in the (US) Virgin Islands. Not sure exactly where, but I do know that they love it. I imagine they're there now, as I haven't seen 'em lately... you know... in church.

One place I've often thought about as a vacation destination is (are) the British Virgin Islands. We had wanted to honeymoon there (that'd be... in 1983) but it was just too darned hard to get there (logistically). No idea about actually living there. ... or the Maldives, for that matter.

At this point in my life, a shopping trip to the consumer mecca that is West Lebanon, NH, is about all the traveling I am disposed towards. :#

• mrbigbluelight
    Options
    One might consider the Isles of Langerhans, an important German colony.
    Sal Palooza
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Or you could stay put and wait for global warming to kick in :o
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    Trey, funny you bring up NC. Our daughter just moved back up here from there and her hubby loves it here....even after the 2' of snow we had last year around Thanksgiving.
    The comment about not watching TV(or at least the news) is bang on. My family & friends don't understand why I almost never watch the news. I don't seem as concerned about it as they do :)
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Anywhere you go south of the U.S. border, your going to have safety concerns and healthcare concerns. Unless your rich enough to stay within certain areas that are heavily guarded. Yeah those tourist brochures all look like paradise, but that's only in the coastal touristy areas. Go inland, and it's poverty and crime galore.

U.S.A. based, and you want warmth with no people, the Arizona desert is calling you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    I'm not going anywhere my 2nd amendment right is not valid.