TV Audio to Receiver issues

Options
A friend has a Sony XBR-65X850D television and a Pioneer Elite SC-91 receiver (and Polk speakers :)). He is streaming Hulu into the TV and wants to use HDMI from TV to receiver for sound. He cannot get the audio signal to receiver. He is running the HDMI out from TV on HDMI 4 (ARC) to HDMI 4 input on receiver. He says the TV manual is very obtuse and merely says to go into Input Home and then to settings and to speakers. However, he says he cannot find a settings on the Home Input on the TV remote. Basically he says the manual stinks and doesn't conform to what coming up when he uses the remote. Would appreciate advice on how to get the audio to work on his receiver. I've never used Hulu. Previously, he had cable, input to the receiver, and it worked fine via HDMI to TV. Now, he is streaming to his TV and wants get audio to receiver for his theater room. I assume even if he uses optical cable he still needs to figure out how to get that audio to his receiver and he says the manual was written by geeks from a foreign constellation. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
    Which ports? The TV manual says HDMI 4 is the ARC enabled port but the SC-91manual says HDMI Output 1 is the ARC enabled port. The receiver needs ARC turned on in it's setup along with control (CEC?). See page 70 of the SC-91 manual. Not clear what you have to do on the TV to enable ARC.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Thanks, I’ll pass on the HDMI 1 information, as well as the page 70 receiver manual - he told me the back of the receiver did not identify which HDMI input was ARC, so that’s helpful. He still needs help on the TV end so anybody’s thoughts would be appreciated.
  • stevep
    edited December 2021
    Options
    The Audio Return from the TV doesn't go to an Input on the Receiver. It shares the cable the AVR uses the HDMI cable that is the output from the AVR. The SC-91 has two outputs and the first one has ARC support.

e23uniifskc5.png
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Ok, I think I understand what confused him. It is counterintuitive to run the HDMI cable to the output on the receiver. So, the output acts as a n input when using the ARC? So basically he’ll need to configure the receiver’s settings to turn on the ARC and also configure the TV’s settings to send audio to the audio system? Thanks for the help.
  • stevep
    Options
    It was a lot easier to understand back when the display was just an output device, when you used the TV as a monitor.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Or run the TV's digital coax out to the receiver's digital coax in. Done. Way easier.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus