KEF Q300 for $350 any good?

Options
ROHfan
ROHfan Posts: 1,014
I have the opportunity to get a pair of immaculate condition KEF Q300 bookies for about $350. I'm currently using Energy RC70 speakers as my fronts. How would anyone compare the 2? Or should I just get the KEFs and use them for 2ch listening?
TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier

Comments

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    edited December 2021
    Options
    These two speakers sound incredibly different. I’m well-acquainted with the Energy RC70s, and am a current owner of the KEF Q300s.

The RC70s you have are fantastically musical speakers with an enormous horizontal soundstage and very good depth of stage (if not the last word in that regard). These are very, very good all-a-round speakers, and you can go with or without a sub and get satisfying sound. I really like these!

One tip is, with floorstanders, I like to remove the rear spikes and leave the front spikes in to help time-align the multiple drivers. It also gives a sleek angled appearance in the room. I found this helps mitigate potential sibilance issues (though I never heard that with the RC70s, which I find to be incredibly smooth-sounding).

That said the KEF Q300s are NOT to everyone’s liking. Some feel they veer cool/bright-sounding. GR Research reported that the smaller sibling Q100s (which I also own) have an annoying high-pitch resulting from the port. I used the foam port plugs as they suggested and agree that the sound is preferable used this way.

I particularly find the KEFs devastatingly good for surround sound cinema, supplemented with a proper sub, or 4. I like them for music, but there are other speakers I like better for music [e.g. Monitor Audio, Dynaudio, certain Wharfedale’s (Diamond 9 or 10 series), certain Boston Acoustics, (would like to hear the Polk R200s), and you better believe Energy RC70s].

I do not think the Q300s are peers to your RC70s. They are incredibly different being bookies. Will they possibly soundstage and image better…maaaybe. I’m hesitant to say that, but Uni-q design is a champion at that, however, they will not give you the body and fulness of your floorstanders, which are also superb soundstagers, IMO.

The Q300s hit hard, are fast and detailed, have a very flat frequency response, and can disappear; however, they are capable of sending some people running from the room.

They are an acquired taste for sure. You will likely want to pair them with a warm, slightly softer/forgiving sounding system. Otherwise, one may feel there is too much of a good thing on the detail/clarity/transparency side of the spectrum.

If you want something that can knock you on your arse, the Q300s can do that.

In summary, if you are looking for long-term set of speakers without wanting to swap them in-and-out of your system, the RC70s are your speaker.

If you want to have some fun and experiment with an entirely different sound, for $350/pr., the KEF Q300s will give that contrast, for sure. But keep those RC70s; they’re home base.
    Post edited by jbreezy5 on
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    The following professional review motivated me to buy the Q300s when they were on clearance.

It’s a good review with measurements.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/bookshelf/kef-q300-bookshelf-speakers/

I can agree with the reviewer’s assessment that they have a kind of smoothness (hard to describe) and boat-loads of detail, but they are by no means laid-back.

If it is possible to try before buying that would be best. Experiment with the port plug to see if you think it helps or hinders the sound. To me a sub is essential with these, either way.

Cheers!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • ROHfan
    Options
    Thanks for your very informative insight and link to a thorough review! I agree with you that I'd be hard pressed to find a bookie that can compete with the RC70s. The thing is...I've always wanted a really nice set of the smaller speakers and, now that my son will be fleeing the nest next year, I'll need something to go in what will become my new home office. The room will be much smaller than my living room so the KEFs would be ideal there. Can I ask what experience you've had with other bookshelfs? Maybe I should be looking at other ones, also.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    That deal recently for the Polk R200 for $399 or whatever it was with free shipping was impossible to beat. Wait for another sale.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Those Energy speakers look really nice. I would just stick with those.
  • ROHfan
    Options
    Wound up buying the KEFs for $325. They will eventually go into my future home office if they sound good enough.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Cool, let us know! Loving the LS50 Metas.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,997
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I had the Q300's for quite some time & they kept me happy for the entire time. Superb sounding thru all genres. Very satisfying in the bass department but of course my twin subs raised them to a whole new level.

I also have the Q100's I'm still using in HT duty...also fantastic sounding. I only let Q300'sthem go to move up to the Q900's... awesome 👍

Now the Q900's have made way for the new R3's. Another great move to say the least.

I'm sure you will be very pleased with your new Q300's.

Enjoy 🎶🎶🎶🎶
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    I also had the Q300's along with the Q100's (still have the 100's pulling HT duty). The 300's were superb thru all genres & kept me happy for quite some time. I only let them go to move up to the Q900's... another great move.

I'm quite sure you will be very impressed with the Q300's. Enjoy 🎶🎶🎶

My new R3's replaced the Q900's... another great move.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • jbreezy5
    edited December 2021
    Options
    ROHfan wrote: »
    Thanks for your very informative insight and link to a thorough review! I agree with you that I'd be hard pressed to find a bookie that can compete with the RC70s. The thing is...I've always wanted a really nice set of the smaller speakers and, now that my son will be fleeing the nest next year, I'll need something to go in what will become my new home office. The room will be much smaller than my living room so the KEFs would be ideal there. Can I ask what experience you've had with other bookshelfs? Maybe I should be looking at other ones, also.

1) What kind of sound do you gravitate towards, or would you like to attain in your office system?

2) What price range are you considering?

3) What are your aesthetic preferences (i.e. wood veneers, glossy black/white, matte finishes, curved or boxy cabinets, etc.)?

4) Room size?

5) What will the associated equipment be?

• jbreezy5
    Options
    When I hear “office set-up” I think powered speakers, moderate pricing, and minimalistic design. I have these in black, but the bamboo finish looks great, IMO.

https://audioengineusa.com/shop/wirelessspeakers/a5-plus-classic-speakers/

• jbreezy5
    Options
    Wound up buying the KEFs for $325. They will eventually go into my future home office if they sound good enough.

I think the site may have been acting up yesterday, because I didn’t see @pearsall001, clipdat, or rohfan comments, when entrred my comments.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase! I hope you enjoy the Q300s as much as I have.

• ROHfan
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »

Anyway, congrats on your purchase! I hope you enjoy the Q300s as much as I have.

I already ran MCACC calibration and tested them with Avengers: Endgame 4K. I was expecting them to sound a little less full than the RC70s but, man, was I wrong. I can't understand how a speaker with 1 driver can sound as good or better than my floorstanders for movies. It's like the whole sound system has synergy, now. Sound is coming from all different directions but the speakers are now invisible, if that makes sense. I can't wait to hear them in my 2 channel setup with some music.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    If you think they sound phenomenal in HT wait till you hear them in 2 channel! Enjoy 👍

• ROHfan
    Options
    If you think they sound phenomenal in HT wait till you hear them in 2 channel! Enjoy 👍

I did some 2 channel listening last night with my son. Soundstage and imaging is off the charts! I didn't expect as much bass extension, either, but these things dig pretty deep. Junior thought I was running my sub with them. All I can say is I may have to rethink my rig. And those RC70s should be worried.
  • jbreezy5
    Options

I did some 2 channel listening last night with my son. Soundstage and imaging is off the charts! I didn't expect as much bass extension, either, but these things dig pretty deep. Junior thought I was running my sub with them. All I can say is I may have to rethink my rig. And those RC70s should be worried.

Interesting.

Keep us posted. What color veneer do you have on the RC70s?