Thinking about adding a second KEF KC62 sub into my 2 channel mix

pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
edited December 2021 in 2 Channel Audio
I've always been a fan of subs for 2 channel music.

When done correctly of course. You just can't plop it down in a single spot & expect to achieve maximum results. This isn't like a cable swap...it takes time & effort to get it right but boy oh boy when done right there's nothing that will compare.

I added the KEF KC62 a few months ago & to be honest I was literally flabbergasted at the performance it brings to the mix. KEF just rewrote the playbook on subs with this guy. New technology has really stepped up to the plate. I'm almost at a loss of words for what I'm hearing & experiencing in my system.

One sub is a step in the right direction but dual subs elevate performance to a higher musical plateau.

Christmas ⛄🎄⛄🎄 is the perfect time to have Santa bring me another one. Cheers everyone 🍻

Phil
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    If one is good, two is better.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    Also... If two is better... 8 is amazing 🚀🚀🚀
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pearsall001
    Clipdat wrote: »

Correct... but in this case one KC62 is phenomenal! Adding a second will be sonic bliss.🎶🎶🎶
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • pearsall001
    VR3 wrote: »
    Also... If two is better... 8 is amazing 🚀🚀🚀

Not too far off...4 are optimul but there comes a point where the wallet starts squeeking. Maybe down the road 👍
  • pearsall001

You need to get your hands on one for review.
  • Clipdat
    I've thought about it.

I just hooked up a pair of LS50 Metas that I bought, pretty impressed so far.
  • pearsall001
    edited December 2021
    I've thought about it.

I just hooked up a pair of LS50 Metas that I bought, pretty impressed so far.

The LS50 Metas are very, very impressive to say the least.

Add the KC62 & you will be picking yourself up off the floor.

I heard the KC62 with pretty much all KEF including the Reference Series (along with other) speakers & it is startling what it adds.

I love the Meta's but I just can't part with my R3's.

The KEF dealer I've been doing business with for over 20yrs is the top Elite KEF dealer on the East Coast. He's already sold over 700 KC62 subs... what does that tell ya.

• Clipdat
    edited December 2021
    Right now I'm actually surprised with how low they go. I don't feel like they're lacking at all in the clean bass department, at least in my 13x10 room. Very impressive indeed.

That's cool that you were able to hear the Metas at your local dealer! I was considering these or the R3 and I think I made the right choice for my tiny room.
  • pearsall001
    Right now I'm actually surprised with how low they go. I don't feel like they're lacking at all in the clean bass department, at least in my 13x10 room. Very impressive indeed.

That's cool that you were able to hear the Metas at your local dealer! I was considering these or the R3 and I think I made the right choice for my tiny room.

I'm telling ya...as impressive as the low end is with the Meta, the addition of the KC62 will simply boggle your mind.

My room is 13x30 and the R3's are ever so fulfilling. However once I added a single KC62 the ball game completely changed. I'm talking about bass that literally changed the entire landscape. Do yourself a favor & pick one up. They are in heavy demand & hard to come by but I can help you out with my dealer if needed.
  • Clipdat
    They're in stock at Crutchfield. I just literally have no room in my room to put one, despite how tiny it is. (It's a bedroom)
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    I have been thinking about adding a 2nd REL T5 for some time now, but my newer to me L200s don't seem to "require" one due they seem to handle the lowers pretty well as monitors.
  • pearsall001
    They're in stock at Crutchfield. I just literally have no room in my room to put one, despite how tiny it is. (It's a bedroom)

Gotcha.
  • pearsall001
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I have been thinking about adding a 2nd REL T5 for some time now, but my newer to me L200s don't seem to "require" one due they seem to handle the lowers pretty well as monitors.

Just do it! Treat yourself for Christmas 🎄 you'll be glad you did.
  • Clipdat
    You're an enabler!
  • DividedSky
    DividedSky Posts: 108
    edited December 2021
    I'm telling ya...as impressive as the low end is with the Meta, the addition of the KC62 will simply boggle your mind.

My room is 13x30 and the R3's are ever so fulfilling. However once I added a single KC62 the ball game completely changed. I'm talking about bass that literally changed the entire landscape. Do yourself a favor & pick one up. They are in heavy demand & hard to come by but I can help you out with my dealer if needed.

May have to look at metas and KC62. I’m a couple hours from Crutchfield and I suspect they may have them set up for demo
    Primary: Doshi V3.0 pre and phonostage, Vandersteen M5-HPA, Vandersteen Quatro CT, AMG viella, Goldfinger Statement, AQ Niagara 5000, AQ IC and power cords, Mapleshade Samson V.5

Secondary: Nakamichi PA7, Nak CA5, Polk LS90, Sota Sapphire, Sumiko MDC800, Van den hul Crimson
  • pearsall001
    You're an enabler!

That I am 😂
  • pearsall001
    DividedSky wrote: »

May have to look at metas and KC62. I’m a couple hours from Crutchfield and I suspect they may have them set up for demo

If you get a chance to get your ears on the Metas paired with a KC62... just make sure you have your credit card ready! 😂😂 It'll be a wonderful Christmas present from you to you. 🎄⛄🎶🎶
  • I need a more compact set up for a room we are renovating, so it’s definitely an interesting option. Is the placement of the KC62 difficult when using just one of them?
    Primary: Doshi V3.0 pre and phonostage, Vandersteen M5-HPA, Vandersteen Quatro CT, AMG viella, Goldfinger Statement, AQ Niagara 5000, AQ IC and power cords, Mapleshade Samson V.5

Secondary: Nakamichi PA7, Nak CA5, Polk LS90, Sota Sapphire, Sumiko MDC800, Van den hul Crimson
  • pearsall001
    I need a more compact set up for a room we are renovating, so it’s definitely an interesting option. Is the placement of the KC62 difficult when using just one of them?

Not at all. The choice of DSP settings do a fantastic job of making integration pretty smooth.
  • OK. That sounds like it could be a good fit. Its a sun porch with large windows so I would think DSP may help smooth some things out. That said, I don't have any prior experience with DSP for 2 channel audio, so I may be wrong there.

• pearsall001
    OK. That sounds like it could be a good fit. Its a sun porch with large windows so I would think DSP may help smooth some things out. That said, I don't have any prior experience with DSP for 2 channel audio, so I may be wrong there.

A sunroom is a tough room to say the least. A lot of reflective surfaces. I take it the room will be more for casual listening? No where near the idea space for more critical listening.

The DSP will certainly help but to what degree is hard to say. If possible I would suggest you pick them up from a dealer that will give you a generous in home trial.
  • A sunroom is a tough room to say the least. A lot of reflective surfaces. I take it the room will be more for casual listening? No where near the idea space for more critical listening.

The DSP will certainly help but to what degree is hard to say. If possible I would suggest you pick them up from a dealer that will give you a generous in home trial.

Definitely casual listening due to reflective surface issues. No real way to tame it either apart from area rugs and soft furniture. Given that these aren’t low budget speakers, in home trial is a good thought. I wish I lived closer to good audio dealers, but I can possibly figure something out there.

• Could also be interesting to swap the KEF combo into my vintage set up in my living room.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited December 2021
    You're an enabler!

All I hear is bla bla bla spend your money this way. Hurry!
    Some day the general public, and new members, will realize that Club Polk is FULL of enablers! :D
    Post edited by audioluvr on
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited December 2021
    Post edited by audioluvr on
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr wrote: »
    You're an enabler!

All I hear is bla bla bla spend your money this way. Hurry!
    Some day the general public, and new members, will realize that Club Polk is FULL of enablers! :D

Definitely seeing that side of things. I guess that makes verb a cautionary tale

• One sub versus two or more is the question.
    Reason-standing waves, standing waves, standing waves and more standing waves!!
    So of course the answer is always YES
  • Placement will be so much easier with 2!

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    @pearsall001 - Get your ears on the following with your sub(s)!:

tu4mltrslae6.jpeg
    gfy9zql9mga5.jpeg

Tracks 3 and 5, specifically. Truly, epic! 😁 😎
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.