Any wood burners here?

Options
I put an insert in my fire place and I’ve been burning a lot more wood the past couple of winters. Just curious if this might have a negative impact on my gear. It not that my gear is too close, I’m just wondering if the ash/dust might be affecting its useful life.

Thoughts?
HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    I've been burning wood for 30+ years in my place but I have a high efficiency wod stove with outside air draft
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I put an insert in my fire place and I’ve been burning a lot more wood the past couple of winters. Just curious if this might have a negative impact on my gear. It not that my gear is too close, I’m just wondering if the ash/dust might be affecting its useful life.

Thoughts?

Yes, it will, especially if you have a blower in the fireplace to blow heat out. It also blows ash, small enough so you can't see it, but it accumulates inside gear. Ruined a Sony TV for me and it was 20ft away on the opposite side of the room. I was shocked at the amount of ash inside when the repair guy opened it up.

I still have a wood burning fireplace, but I took out the blower insert. Wood stoves are a little different in that usually the doors are closed, My TV and audio stuff is just to the right within 6 feet of my fireplace now, and so far very little problems at all. Those heat blowers are nice, pretty much heated the whole house with it, but it wasn't friendly to nearby electronics.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Easy Runnin
    Options

My insert has the door that shuts tight. Once I get it going I can go 5 to 8 hours before I have to reload. I assume when I reload or clean it out, some ash gets into the room. I do notice a little bit on the hearth. Just curious if others have had issues or recommendations on addressing potential issues.

I guess I can just take the covers off things and use the leaf blower every so often.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    We have a wood fired boiler in our basement so no ash in the house. But, yesterday I took the cover off one of the amps and was a bit surprised on the amount of dust accumulated under the hood. So I can see how a fireplace with fan could pose a problem.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,050
    Options
    Many years ago I used a fireplace insert as a heater in my uninsulated at the time listening room. The heat was welcome with the room having zero insulation but it came at the cost of being very dirty. The only dirtier heat I've ever had was a portable kerosene heater. Nowadays I choose not to use either of these heating methods.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    I would be more concerned that these particulates are being inhaled than my gear getting dusty.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 524
    Options
    We've got two large fireplace inserts (one in the basement and one on the first floor) in a massive chimney that goes up the center of a one and a half story Cape. Both stoves have blowers and the one on the first floor (a Lopi) is in a den that's our listening room. Living in N. Idaho I've run it hardcore in the winter for decades without any gear-related dust problem. That said, our chimney draws extremely well as it's very tall with no exposure outside the house envelope (keeps the flue hot). Both stoves are tight with good flue connections. I use a small vacuum beside each fireplace to keep bark/ash cleaned up. Cleaning ash out of the stove can be a pain. I make sure the ashes are completely cold (if you don't they will travel when you shovel them) and I keep the stove door and flue damper open so there is updraft as you shovel ashes (this works for me even when the fire its out -YMMV). I put newspaper on the floor in case I spill anything and shovel them into a big-**** porcelain canner with a lid. I wait between shovel fulls (lid on) to let the dust settle inside the canner. When I'm finished the newspaper goes in the stove for the next fire. So far, so good - fire and music.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,050
    Options
    Something else to keep in mind and it's a thing that really used to bug me about burning wood was indeed the bugs. Many times I've split a piece of wood only to find it full of carpenter ants. Cherry and soft maple especially. Termites weren't as common but occasionally I'd run into a cluster of them to. Toss that split piece into a wheelbarrow and now the little buggers are everywhere just waiting to warm themselves near the woodstove and become active once again. Won't even mention barometric changes in the weather that stop the updraft and load the house with smoke when the door opens. The occasional chimney fire that sounds like a freight train running through the house made for some fun times to. Nope I do not miss my woodburning days in the least.