Got the urge to DIY, kit-build, or rehab/resto-mod? Scared to solder?

Doc Bottlehead is on Youtube to help!
Soldering's not hard but it is scary to some folks, so it's nice to have something to point to that might be helpful.

Now, in full disclosure, I haven't watched this - yet - but I have a fair amount of faith in Dan "Doc B" Schamalle, so I am taking the risk of sharing the link without having reviewed it.

https://youtu.be/EN16Pi7pcfk

I'll certainly offer critique if I discover oddness to it!

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Have man hands?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Have man hands?

No silly! Wear purple!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Is that cubic zirconia?!
    zvapdo1iqr1r.png
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2021
    This seems to be a trend. Check out all these photos of women soldering properly:
    soldering-iron-electronic-printed-board-soldering-iron-electronic-printed-board-female-123024160.jpg
    woman-soldering-a-circuit-board-in-her-stock-photo_csp78642927.jpg
    138500939-woman-assembling-works-soldering-iron.jpg
    woman-soldering-beautiful-repairing-printed-circuit-board-forced-air-iron-44098800.jpg
    woman-soldering-stock-photography_csp17526300.jpg
    19293123-beautiful-woman-in-protective-glasses-fixing-computer-parts-with-soldering-iron-and-other-tools.jpg
    EEf2vJnU0AEdvIZ.jpg

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    One time I accidently dropped my soldering iron and out of instinct caught it... on the end they are holding with a smile...

I had blisters the next day from that point 5 second catch!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    I hesitate to comment cause he did a great job but I have a couple of thoughts.

More tip cleaning. If the solder isn't flowing nicely on the tip it doesn't usually flow in the joint either. Cleaning the oxides off your solder doesn't hurt.

Move the object around so you can see and easily reach the place you want to solder.

Don't bend the leads over so much on through hole assembly. The solder flows better and you don't have to bend the leads again to trim them.

Demonstrating on camera can cramp your style, overall he hit the key points and provided a good example.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    VR3 wrote: »
    One time I accidently dropped my soldering iron and out of instinct caught it... on the end they are holding with a smile...

I had blisters the next day from that point 5 second catch!

You too huh? I will tell you very loud colorful language immediately burst forth from my mouth ....
    You win I'm sure I didn't hold it 5 seconds
    😂😂
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I was gonna post that first soldering lady stock image but I was runnin' off to choir practice, so I am glad that y'all checked that box -- and then some! :)

I've had some soldering experiences...
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Burning yourself goes with the territory. In my case at least ! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2021
    Long, long ago on audiokarma one of the regulars posted a photo of a solder blob incident that impacted his bare, hairy leg -- sticking out of a bathrobe, if memory serves. Or maybe he was wearing shorts.
    At any rate, to this day (AFAIK) the DIY section at AK has an admonition to the effect of "always wear pants while soldering".

Words to live by.

cjexbxgztsbf.png
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    edited December 2021
    ^^^^
    That's right there with

"Do not look into laser with remaining eye"*

*says the guy who dripped solder on a bare foot.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2021
    In my day ;) there was a professor in the Biophysics Dep't at... well, you know where... named Francis "Spike" Carlson. He worked with lasers when lasers were still pretty esoteric -- he also had profoundly poor vision. I don't know if it was causation or correlation, but it was striking.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1999-02-11-9902110161-story.html
  • My "worst soldering" story happened to a friend at work one day. It was at least partially my fault. I stopped by his shop to grab him for a smoke break as he was about to sit down with his next soldering project. We worked in a large electronics repair facility and he was trained as a solder tech. He had just grabbed a large circuit that needed a massive cap removed and replaced. 1 farad or more, it was huge.

As we walked out we joked about how much it would suck to find out that the cap was not discharged the hard way. I really meant to remind him on the way back in, but I forgot all about it. Apparently so did he. I rushed back to remind him and he was laying on the ground. Apparently that cap knocked him out of his chair.

He was fine after a min or two, but he was sent to the hospital to get checked out non the less. It was scary for sure.
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    I watched about 4hrs worth of soldering tutorials on YouTube before I completely screwed up my SRS boards. I’m NOT doing it again. LOL
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 425
    I love the intro...Doc Bottlehead, double-oh 12AX7!
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited December 2021
    If not wearing pants, best to stand when soldering. :D Also, I'm glad Doc covered for best results with electronics, use rosin core, not acid core solder. :)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2021
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    If not wearing pants, best to stand when soldering. :D Also, I'm glad Doc covered for best results with electronics, use rosin core, not acid core solder. :)

In the good old DIY/kitbuilding days (1950s and 60s) a middle-class suburban tinkerer might grab whatever solder he (in those days, usually "he" :/ ) had handy. Acid core solder is not a good thing for electronics. :/
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    :p:p:p All of those pictures are hilarious!

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2