Help!!! No sound in rear DB690's!

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey every1. Quick question. I'm replacing my rear factory speakers with DB690's and I'm getting absolutely no sound from them. I tried the old speakers again and they worked fine, so I think the wiring is ok. But, the wiring is only 18 gauge. My front 4X6's (replaced with momos) were 16 gauge and they work just fine so I figured maybe 18 was just too small to get any power to the DB690's. Oh, and I have a Pioneer 7400 for a head unit (22 RMS, 50 Peak). Anyone got any ideas? Your advice would be definately appreciated. Thanks.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited June 2004
    You sure the speakers are good? 18ga should be just fine. Even if they were too small, they'd still make sound. You can try the 9v battery trick to test the speakers. Just touch a new 9v to the + and - leads of the speakers. They should move just a bit if they're good.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    That is wierd. Im not sure why both of them would be bad. You should check them though either by Austins method or just pulling out the head unit and disconnecting the speaker wire from one channel and hooking it up right there in your lap and see if it works.

What kind of factory sound system do you have? It may be something like a factory amp that needs to be bypassed or something.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    yeah, but wouldn't that only apply if the amp needed a higher load than the new speaker? AND if it had low-ohm protection? i.e. except for sq, why would a factory amp matter??

although, it's worth a shot, cause that is very strange...

hey, do those come with an external crossover? cause if they do, that could be it...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    if your old speakers work, i dunno...lol...do you have any type of system in your house? shelf system or HT system with regular positive/negative speaker wire...hook them up if you do...thatll tell you if the speakers are bad or not
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Frak
    Frak Posts: 2
    edited June 2004
    Hey Jarrett,

Any resolution on this? Just wondering because I just replaced my rear 5.25 stock drivers with a pair of DB650's and am wondering wtf happened to my bass!

Highs and hi-mids seem to be fine but the bass is all but gone. I tried switching phase on one side to see if somehow I had mixed them up, but no joy. The bass in the stock 5.25 fronts drowns out the db650's, I was going to replace them with db6500's but I'm scratching my head now.

I'm running them off of a Pioneer DEH-P77DH head unit, at about 22w per channel rms (maybe lower, but should still be enough to hear *some* bass)

Do the db's have any history of being dead out of the box?

Frak
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    nope, you might have a high pass crossover on your head unit thats on and you didnt know it
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited June 2004
    I experienced the same thing when I replaced my factory 5x7's with dB650's in the rear. The dB650 can take up to 60 Watts RMS, whereas the factory speakers take like maybe 10-15. Give your speakers the power they need and they'll sound a heck of a lot better.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • Frak
    Frak Posts: 2
    edited June 2004
    Thanks guys, I retraced the speaker wires and they're correct, abd rechecked the HU, the active filter is off. Even running through the HP filter settings though I didn't hear any real difference.

I'm still at a loss for figuring out why the rears seem to not be pushing anything under about 1000hz, they do sound a bit better under more power though.

I'll reinstall the old stock rears tomorrow (takes about 5 min) and check them closer, maybe there's been an issue there all the long.

I'll have to get busy and get the fronts next week, glad paydays' coming!

Frak