DH Labs Silver Sonic USB Cables

Options
Has anyone tried these? I just ordered their HP cables in 3m length because they had a black friday sale and I've been wanting to see if there is a difference between digital cables (I was skeptical). First impression was they seemed quieter than the $19.99 Staples printer cable I've been using. By the 4th song in my reference collection I had this sickening feeling that something was terribly wrong. EGADS! They were sucking the life out of my music! I put in my cheapie printer cable (was actually an expensive cable for printers if there is such a thing :D ) and the music came back to life! Soundstage came back to it's awesome glory and vocals moved forward about 3 feet. Should I send these back as defective?
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    Maybe you're more of an inkjet printer vs a laser printer type of guy.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Maybe you're more of an inkjet printer vs a laser printer type of guy.

You may be onto something there! :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Obligatory "it needs to break-in" comment!
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Doesn't really help you and not really related to your original post, but I ordered a few of these a while back and thought they sounded good for the price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265155084250
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    So I, out of sheer luck, was looking for other cables when I remembered another thread about Revelation Audio Labs cables being crazy good and came across this.
    http://www.revelationaudiolabs.com/cables-digital/#USB
    Regarding their Prophecy CryoSilver Reference DualConduit USB 2.0 Digital Link cable which separates the power portion of the USB to eliminate unwanted noise and distortion. So I started doing some sleuthing on who else does this and what, if possible, this does to the sound. Apparently this makes a HUGE difference. So, WTH, I'm testing my cables and my printer cable that I'm using has NO 5v continuity on it's pin! @Clipdat, you are a genius! Some printers do not need the 5v hand shake as they are internally powered. They only need the ground for clocking (or something) whatever that means.

Also found a cheap way of testing if your DAC is internally powered.

e3di9itol9ae.png

Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Clipdat
    Options
    Interesting. Right now I'm using the Audience Au24 SE+ USB cable which has a separate physical wire for power which then re-joins at the connector. The concept is the same though, getting the power physically distanced from the data.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Interesting. Right now I'm using the Audience Au24 SE+ USB cable which has a separate physical wire for power which then re-joins at the connector. The concept is the same though, getting the power physically distanced from the data.

There are several maker of cable doing that now. I first seen it with a Pangea cable.