Reserve R200 vs Legend L200

Options
Greetings! I'm currently setting up a dedicated 2 Channel setup. Long story short, I've been going back and forth, testing/evaluating equipment (integrated amps, speakers, etc.). Right now I've got a Hegel H190 on order and a Musical Fidelity Ms5i as well to test.

I've currently got the Reserve R200. I saw the Legend L200's go on sale for an incredible price and was wondering - is there much of a performance increase going to the L200's from the R200's? Just wondering, thank you!
Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I’ll tell you in a few days. I currently have both but just started burning in the R200’s now.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • papatom
    papatom Posts: 137
    Options
    Thank you! I look forward to your impressions!

I'm still A/B'ing as well. I also ordered a pair of Polk Reserve R700 floorstanders. I know my future is with Polk, just whether it's the R200, L200 or the R700.

Aside from what I've mentioned above, if I were to save some money and go with an integrated amp under the $2500 range, which would you prefer? Say if I were to pair them with the R700 floorstanders?
    Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500
  • Lietuvis91
    Options
    Curious if anyone drew any conclusions on these two speakers. Price is certainly very different, but is there much value added in those L200s?
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    I cannot speak for the R200s, but the L200 definitely sound much better over time as they "break in".
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    There are cosmetic and performance differences between the Legend and Reserve speakers. A big part of the price difference is the cosmetic differences because wood veneer is more expensive than vinyl wrap. There are also cabinet construction differences and a different type of port. The R200s are also slightly smaller in weight and dimensions than the L200s with about a 3 lb weight difference (19.11 lbs vs 22 lbs). The low frequency response on the R200 is 3 db less than on the L200. That difference may not be noticeable to most people in a room.

Both speakers perform more similarly than the double the retail price difference would indicate. To me the choice comes down to which looks better in the long term. If someone is ok with the vinyl wrap look, which is well done, I'd say go for the R200s. If someone wants something more elegant looking with a slight performance improvement go for the L200s.

I will say if I had to have just one pair of speakers in a house I'd be perfectly happy with a pair of Reserve R600s. They really are a high value speaker line.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    The crossovers are also entirely different
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I have both I’ve just been too busy recently to do an in-depth comparison but it’s coming
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    The above comments all simply reinforce the (rather obvious, I thought) conclusion that the R200 isn't "just" an L200 clone in a vinyl-wrapped box. They're different loudspeakers aimed at the same ecological, but not socioeconomic, niche. :) To me, the question is which represents the better value -- or, perhaps, they're identical in value (e.g., sound quality/listener satisfaction per dollar spent).

There are sippets of data floating around in the places you'd expect ;) but not a mano a mano speako a speako comparion under the same test conditions that one'd like to see.

L200 response (on axis and 30 degrees off axis?)
    zjuohuwuycxg.png
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/polk-reserve-r200-spinorama-and-measurements-a-really-nice-surprise.23502/page-6#post-905632

R200 (apples to kumquats comparison, different test conditions and instrumentation)

iyvso4fmrnyc.png
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/polk-reserve-r200-spinorama-and-measurements-a-really-nice-surprise.23502/
  • Lietuvis91
    Lietuvis91 Posts: 908
    edited January 2022
    Options
    If you can trust the different YouTubers discussing these speakers, then it seems that the legend series gives you a higher quality box and a more transparent presentation of your music. If neither is top priority, or if your sources are not of the best quality, then the reserve series is the better fit and a better value, as some observe that it’s more forgiving of poor quality sources and it’s just a good speaker. However, for the critical listeners out there that want more transparency into the music and/or the look really matters, then you pay up for the legends.

That’s what I gather from everything I’ve seen and read anyway… obviously nothing beats real first hand experience, so I guess I’ll have to find someplace I can demo both in the New Orleans area.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • Emlyn
    Options
    From my own experience the Reserve speakers have a bit more "lively" sound to them and the Legends are a bit more refined. As VR3 says, the differences are more than skin deep.

I would not say the Reserve line of speakers are more forgiving of poor quality sources. They're similar in that regard meaning both lines of speaker will do a good job of revealing cheap sources and garbage recordings. More forgiving lines for use with AV receivers would be the Signature or Monitor series.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    The crossovers are also entirely different

Much of that probably has to do with "split" for the high/low frequencies in the L series as the Reserves only have one set of binding posts. I'm sure there's other differences as well 'cause I'm no expert, that's Treys arena!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I know youse guyses don't like ASR but there is interesting information there now and again ;)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/polk-reserve-r200-spinorama-and-measurements-a-really-nice-surprise.23502/#post-786055
    The redesigned (for lack of a better word) port on the R200 seems to correlate with a suppression of port resonances to the overall performance or the "R" vs. the "L". -- FWIW. :|

R200 port output in blue.
    2r3idfoiyq62.png

L200 port output in green.
    hrm656n040iu.png

The output of the port itself in each case is the big peak at 50 Hz on the relevant trace.
    The resonances are those secondary peaks at ca. 600, 1200, and 2400 Hz for the R200 or ca. 500, 1000, and 1500 Hz for the L200 data (I'm guesstimating from the logarithmic x-axis). The resonance peaks are proportionately way lower than the main port peak in the R200 case compared to the L200 case. Audible? Maybe not, since both loudspeakers are rear ported.
    Still, a pretty salient difference.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    Well, what should we do with this information?
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Well, that's pretty much up to you... we're seeing substantial quantitative differences in favor of the "R" in the case of this parameter. The R is demonstrably superior to the L in terms of (titter-titter) port noise. OK, it's not really noise, but it is unwelcome acoustic output related to its port. It's not hard to argue that the port design on the "R" is better (at least in this respect) than that on the "L".

Lots of other quantitative differences, e.g., the R uses an XO frequency (3.5 kHz) that is "higher than optimal" for the size (and spacing) of the drivers, while the L uses a much more optimal (on paper) 2.7 kHz. The R200 also, if memory serves, has the drivers' axes a bit further apart than the L200 (which is, again, at least on paper, to the detriment of the R200). The frequency response curves (particularly in terms of directivity) for the R vs. L do appear to show the impact of these deltas.

The audible impact, if any? Only careful A-B listening will answer that for any given listener. I'd enjoy the opportunity, but, being cheap, I've only got the "R". If someone wants to bring over a pair of L200s... I'll buy the beer.
    Heck, I'd drive to someone else's place with the Rs I have here -- as long as it's not too far, and it's not snowing or icy, and it's not rush hour. :#

My sense (and it's been since fall of 2019, IIRC, that I heard the L200s) is that the L200 will sound better to most folks than the R200, all else being equal. Someone in this thread referred to them as "more refined" and I have a similar acoustic memory of (EDIT) the L200s, too. On the other hand, I also found the L200 a little bit "emotionally" muted, for lack of a better word -- a tad bit polite, albeit extremely easy and rewarding to listen to. I haven't gotten that sense with the R200, but I've only heard them in my room, with my elderly and slightly inappropriate amplification choice (to date). My hunch is the L200 does better the R200, but I am not at all convinced that the sound quality delta is commensurate to with the price delta between the two.

• Emlyn
    Options
    I may be misremembering but I think the designer said in a Youtube video that if Polk had the new port design available when the Legend line was under development they may have used the new design instead of the old one.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I may be misremembering but I think the designer said in a Youtube video that if Polk had the new port design available when the Legend line was under development they may have used the new design instead of the old one.

I have a similar, and similarly vauge, memory, if that makes you feel any better ;)
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    Having slightly voided the warranty on my L100's (couldn't justify the extra cost of the L200's) and I do have R200's waiting in line to have their warranty voided as well...

I'm not disappointed in what I hear from either line. I'm disappointed in where Polk has the price points and what they used in the builds with the L series.

I guess I don't mind sand cast resistors, an electrolytic cap or two and iron core inductors in the R line.
    Using exactly the same level of components (although it appears in the upper L series they appear to match values between the L & R) seems "cheap" to me. It doesn't cost that much more to put in better quality components in the L line. I don't know of cheaper resistors than sandcast (although they may exist).

MSRP L100's - $999
    MSRP R100's - $649

MSRP L200's - $1499
    MSRP R200's - $749

Same tweeter? Just different face plate?
    Same Mid/woofer?
    Same crossover components (same board layout within the series so same cost to the crossover board?)
    Same input terminals

L's - better cabinet construction and very nice veneer
    R's - better port.

I'm just not seeing the cost of the L's to be worth it.

For what I paid during the special and what I have I'm delighted.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    I’m kinda there too. Seems Polk created two very similar speakers at much different price points. It is a very curious strategy
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    The crossovers are completely different, fwiw
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Having slightly voided the warranty on my L100's (couldn't justify the extra cost of the L200's) and I do have R200's waiting in line to have their warranty voided as well...

I'm not disappointed in what I hear from either line. I'm disappointed in where Polk has the price points and what they used in the builds with the L series.

I guess I don't mind sand cast resistors, an electrolytic cap or two and iron core inductors in the R line.
    Using exactly the same level of components (although it appears in the upper L series they appear to match values between the L & R) seems "cheap" to me. It doesn't cost that much more to put in better quality components in the L line. I don't know of cheaper resistors than sandcast (although they may exist).

MSRP L100's - $999
    MSRP R100's - $649

MSRP L200's - $1499
    MSRP R200's - $749

Same Mid/woofer?
    Same crossover components (same board layout within the series so same cost to the crossover board?)
    Same input terminals

R's - better port.

You will find sand cast resistors and electrolytic caps in speakers costing considerably more than the Polk Legend.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    edited January 2022
    Options
    And I would be just as, if not more so, disappointed in those and would voice such.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2022
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »

MSRP L100's - $999
    MSRP R100's - $649

MSRP L200's - $1499
    MSRP R200's - $749

Same Mid/woofer?
    Same input terminals

R's - better port.

I'm sure that the Reserve is helping to recoup some R&D costs that the Legend didn't produce. Also, the LSiM struggled at the end it seems.

Sand cast at many different price levels! However, coils and caps can cost a bit more but still has little to do with the price difference. R&D, the number they think they can sell, and the profit they are after sets the price.

The $3000 LSiM705 / line
    xoto6xb0n1mp.jpg

The $4500 PSB Synchrony One
    mz5y1mcylfx9.jpg

The $7000 Revel F226BeBe
    msjae90pl0bm.jpg

The $7800-$10,000 Legacy Audio Signature SE
    82vif7zenz7f.jpg

The $24,999.99 KEF Blade 2 crossover
    fb4l4q682ox4.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Indeed.
    There are corporate bean counters at all price points.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    The $2300.00 Buchardt S400 MkII. Loaded with goodies.
    6vb5s64c92y5.png
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WLDock
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    6vb5s64c92y5.png

Now that's a nice looking crossover!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • cap893
    cap893 Posts: 11
    Options
    Go with the Legend series - if you don't you will always wonder if you should have upgraded. That is what I did. I originally bought the Reserve R100s - did not care for the physical appearance - upgraded to the Legend L100s and never looked back.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    edited January 2022
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    6vb5s64c92y5.png

Not to derail the thread, but I did a pair of Monitor 7B’s (Peerless) for a friend with those same Jantzen Cross Caps earlier this year. I was very pleased with the sound. I’ll show my buddy that he’s been rollin’ with the high dollar Buchardt crowd and he didn’t even know it!
    361u8xs1wlfp.jpeg

In other news, I absolutely love my R200’s. They legit give the stock 2.3TL’s a run for their money in some ways.
    bv2bjxn1nubn.jpeg

Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    edited January 2022
    Options
    $216 less in capacitors. Humblehomemadehifi rated 7.25 vs 8.5. Imaging is better with the small bookies?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • WLDock
    edited January 2022
    Options