Phono Pre

Options
xsmi
xsmi Posts: 1,786
So, I think I'm almost at the end of my audio journey for a while, but I have nagging issue, my phono pre. I don't feel that I am getting all that my Sumiko Blackbird is laying down. I'm thinking I'd like to be at aound $1000 new, $750 used. What do you guys recommend?
2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,490
    edited November 2021
    Options
    There is a Tom Tutay built Transition Audio MC phono preamp on Reverb, granted it's above your budget, but I doubt you'll find anything close in sound for that amount. I've no connection with the seller, however.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    I understand the Sumiko Blackbird is a high output moving coil cartridge which makes selection of a phono preamp easier. Unfortunately, for that cartridge I wouldn't recommend anything new for a phono preamp under around $1500 and even then the cartridge could benefit from a phono preamp double that cost. The used market may be a better choice.

What's running in the system now for a phono pre?
  • xsmi
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I understand the Sumiko Blackbird is a high output moving coil cartridge which makes selection of a phono preamp easier. Unfortunately, for that cartridge I wouldn't recommend anything new for a phono preamp under around $1500 and even then the cartridge could benefit from a phono preamp double that cost. The used market may be a better choice.

What's running in the system now for a phono pre?

Actually, I ordered the low output MC. Schiit Mani and Moon LP3.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    The Blackbird is a great cartridge. I recall it being lively sounding. I had it on a Linn LP12 with the Ittock tonearm. Some have reported difficulty in getting the optimum VTA setup.

e61bt5u06jnr.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    Musical Surroundings Nova III reviewed in the current issue of TAS. $1500 is over your budget, but worth a look. Sumiko cartridges are good values. Good luck with your search.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    My rule of thumb for turntable related stuff for a long time has been the cartridge and phono pre should be roughly the same MSRP and both of those are at least as important as the turntable itself. This stuff adds up!

I agree the cartridge deserves a higher quality phono preamp to get the most out of it. The low output makes that even more important.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited November 2021
    Options
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    I have a Blackbird on my VPI Scoutmaster and I have an Acoustech PH-1 and think it's a great phono stage and mates well....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Emlyn
    Options
    I can second the Acoustech PH-1 phono pre on the used market. I've had a PH-1P for almost 20 years. Although I only use it rarely these days that's a sturdy, reliable, and quiet piece of gear.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    I got real good results from the black cube!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    I wonder how the Acoustech PH-1 holds up against the Jolida JD9? The Acoustech PH-1 looks like a nice unit..
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    I tried the JD9 (unmodded) and sent it back. Liked the Aragon 47K (with the standard issue power supply)...in my system. Now I have a 47K with a modified Ingot power supply.

Never heard the Acoustech PH-1, but would roll the dice on it before the JD-9.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    More than you were looking to spend, but the Pass Xono I have listed is end-game worthy...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    My rule of thumb for turntable related stuff for a long time has been the cartridge and phono pre should be roughly the same MSRP...

So $49.95. Got it.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • xsmi
    Options
    More than you were looking to spend, but the Pass Xono I have listed is end-game worthy...

I would love to have it, but I can’t spend that kind of coin.