Yamaha Amp.

Should I get a Yamaha or a Royal amp. if I bought an amp it's has to be a large one to push all my speakers. Right now I have an old RCA amp. it's not doing the trick. I have two Polk's 705 and two Bose's 301, I feel like Polk 703 's are in my mind.

Best Answers

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Answer ✓
    It really depends on your expectations and the size of your room @Lawnguy54
    Also bear in mind that trying to run two pairs of stereo speakers on most amplifiers means that they're connected to the amplifier in parallel, which decreases the load impedance that is "seen" by the amplifier. For example, two "8 ohm" speakers in parallel is a "4 ohm" load*. It's actually even worse than that, because those are "nominal" impedances. The impedance of a speaker varies with frequency, so at certain frequences the actual load impedance of two speakers in parallel could be even lower!

What all of this means is that the amplifier needs to be able to deliver large amounts of current into the low impedance load of two pairs of speakers without being stressed or damaged. The "stress" could damage your speakers. The latter could result in expensive or catastrophic damage to both amp and speakers. :(

If any of your speakers is less than an "8 ohm" nominal impedance, it is going to be hard/expensive to find an amp that will safely power two pairs of speakers at the same time.

Yamaha makes some very fine hifi equipment, but I think there may be better "current source" amplifiers (albeit usually at a higher price!).

I know nothing of "Royal" amplifiers, so I cannot comment.
  • mhardy6647
    Answer ✓
    Series vs. parallel connection of speakers. Most receivers and amplifiers that allow "A + B" pairs of stereo speakers make the connection in parallel. A very, very few might connect "A + B" in series.

mstw3cp0fcla.png

Series connection will increase the net load impedance. For example "8 ohm" A speakers plus "8 ohm" B speakers, connected in series, results in a net load of 16 ohms, which would be easy for an amplifier.
    That said, speakers in series may not sound their best, since the signal has to go "through" one speaker (and its crossover) before getting to the second one!

It is easy to tell if the "A + B" connection on, say, a receiver, is series or parallel: With one pair of speakers connected ("A"), switch to "A + B". If the whole system goes silent, the connection would be in series. If the "A" speakers keep playing, it's parallel.

Answers

• Aren't Royal amplifiers used with guitars? Replica vintage guitar amps?
  • My friend don't get me wrong I am just
    looking for a strong Amp. , so I will look for a Yamaha?
  • I have tried that and both A&B work and they are in parallel, but they are lower in sound. That's why I was thinking of a better Amp.
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2021
    There other fish in the sea besides Yamaha.

Mind you, I am a bit of a Yamaha fanboy, but 1) most of the loudspeakers here are fairly amplifier-friendly loads and 2) I don't run more than two (i.e., one stereo pair) at a time.

51043414128_861e35436a_b.jpgDSC_0937 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • See I like to stay with the same components as I had Phase Linear pre & amp. I have a 701 Yamaha turn table .
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2021
    A PL 700B should get the job done for you.

eyg6bzy0hh69.png
    (borrowed image -- the only PL here is a PL200, which is a toy compared to a 700/700B)

Try the "new" (i.e., current) White Oak upgrades for PL amps if you value the survival of your loudspeakers! Lots of positive posts on teh webz on the "WOPL" amplifiers (as they're referred to by the cognoscenti)

https://www.whiteoakaudio.com/
  • I had a PL 400 amp. and a PL 2000 pre amp. still have the 400 amp. as it doesn't work and I did call whiteoak and no response (a time ago) I gave up on them. PL 700/700B thank you, see I also have a Yamaha C-80 pre-amplifier. Think I have to up grade?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Lawnguy54 wrote: »
    I had a PL 400 amp. and a PL 2000 pre amp. still have the 400 amp. as it doesn't work and I did call whiteoak and no response (a time ago) I gave up on them. PL 700/700B thank you, see I also have a Yamaha C-80 pre-amplifier. Think I have to up grade?

Hi-Tech Audio in Stevenson, WA.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Were's Whiteock, They don't seem to get back with me?