Question about that auction site

Not sure if it's OK to actually name them, but it's the one that begns with an E. I have never sold anything there, just bought a few things.

Over a year ago I placed something there at a price higher than I thought anybody would pay, well yesterday I get an email from E that it has sold. I checked the buyer as they had a zero rating and they had just joined E that same day.

Is it safe to complete the sale? Doesn't E need the actual $$ from the buyer before telling me it's sold?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Etsy?

eBay, there I said it, I'm going to H e l l.

I'm not sure you can refuse to sell it now that it is sold. I really am not sure. But I'd hate to be in a situation to sell to a first time buyer.

I know you can set up a few requirements for future buyers.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/setting-buyer-requirements?id=4152

haca77rpc8ot.jpg
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I was thinking, a few years back I purchased a S&W knife for a stupid cheap price. The minimum bid was low and I was the only one to bid on it. After winning the auction, I suddenly got a refund and was told the knife was no longer available. So that is an option for you, but you might receive negative feedback from the buyer. I was suspicious and kept watching the seller's listings. A week later he relisted the knife at a much higher starting bid. I called him out on it and he sold it to me for my winning bid.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Does Ebay allow items to be listed without time limits now? I haven't sold anything there for many years so don't know what their rules are anymore. Too big a cut for them! I wouldn't be surprised if a large proportion of buyers on Ebay are first timers these days and it may also be true that feedback is only counted for transactions within the 12 months so the potential buyer may have a long track record that doesn't show.

Anyway, if I didn't really want to sell something and it didn't sell for a year I would say it's no longer available for sale since I didn't want to sell it in the first place.

:)
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    muncybob wrote: »
    Is it safe to complete the sale? Doesn't E need the actual $$ from the buyer before telling me it's sold?
    Winning an item, and then actually paying are two different things. Don't ship anything until you have confirmation of funds received. The buyer usually has 24 hours to pay after winning an item.

I once had someone win an auction, but then never pay. They were waiting on their stimulus check in order to pay, which is pretty sad, and asked me to hold the item. They never paid...I never shipped.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    IMO if a seller gets too many negative reviews, they remove the negative ones. That way the sellers can continue to sell & fill their wallets. They will square up with the upset buyer & life moves on
    Randy/Maine
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I have sold a lot of things on eBay over the years, and very rarely had a problem that wasn't my own fault. However, they do protect the buyer much more than the seller. Unless I was hard up for cash, I would say no longer available, but I wouldn't relist it on eBay because that's messed up/unethical. Sell it on facebook marketplace, that's where I sell most things that aren't big ticket electronics.

If the item isn't worth much to you, you can roll the dice and take a chance. Might (probably will) work out fine. But you also might ship it and even with tracking and signature you can get screwed, seller claims she didn't get it or that its damaged. Taking pics (including serial number) and even a video of the item working and then your packing job helps quite a bit, but that takes more time...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited October 2021
    boston1450 wrote: »
    IMO if a seller gets too many negative reviews, they remove the negative ones. That way the sellers can continue to sell & fill their wallets. They will square up with the upset buyer & life moves on

Negatives now only last one year or until the next year... very frustrating, I personally liked it when the seller or buyer feedback lasted forever and you could see forever. I as a seller used to be able years ago GIVE negatives to buyers who deserved it, now it's almost impossible to give a buyer a negative feedback. Sellers can now ask that any and all negatives be removed for better "visual" appearance.

eBay has turned into a joke!! The other thing is I avoid buying off AMAZON for any reason. Imagine my discontent when I buy on ebay and the seller then buys from amazon and has it shipped to my house.
    I state in my feedback that anyone else should just buy from amazon as this seller is and jacking up the price and ordering from them and charging you more....

Which usually results in a nasty email from the seller.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    Why is it the seller's fault that you didn't check prices at other places.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited October 2021
    invalid wrote: »
    Why is it the seller's fault that you didn't check prices at other places.

I'm happy to pay more to avoid buying from Amazon.

If you bought something from Sears and Sears bought it from Amazon, shipped direct from Amazon to your house address using your email address to send you notices about your Amazon purchase, your Okay with that?

I'm not!

Had I wanted to buy from Amazon I can buy on my own directly.

I'm being duped in essence.

If you're on ebay and are an Amazon seller OWN IT!!

STATE THE FACT IT WILL BE SHIPPING FROM AMAZON.

I can then choose to avoid your items.

Plan and simple.

Here is an example of just one problem I ran into.

My item arrived damaged, I go back to the seller who then states that I have the receipt from Amazon so take it up with Amazon, it's no longer their problem as they didn't pack it or ship it and have washed their hands of it.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    I agree, the seller should have took care of it. Products on eBay can come from anywhere, if he didn't ship it directly from Amazon you would never know where the seller got it. My advice would be don't buy anything from eBay.