Internet radio recommendation.

Looking for a suggestion of a good quality internet radio tuner. There's only a couple of worthwhile stations where we live, we've been using an iPod and have found some good jazz sources from France. We'd like to add something to the other systems around the house.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    No secret I'm a Squeezebox fan. You could pick up a Squeezebox Touch or build Squeeze Player with a Raspberry Pi, free piCorePlayer software, and control it with a smartphone.

I've built a couple of RPi players and with the HiFiBerry DAC "hat", the sound quality is pleasing.
    I disabled signatures.
  • I like the "build" part of your recommendation.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    Yeah, they're fun and pretty easy.

HiFiBerry also makes a "digi" hat, which will let you output to your own DAC over optical or coax.

There's some USB DAC support as well if you wanted to connect one of these to a more central system. Understandably, you'd probably want RCA outs for simpler systems you might be alluding to around the house.

As I understand it, you can even use the onboard 3.5mm audio output from the RPi. While functional, in earlier days, at least, the sound quality was supposedly not that good.
    I disabled signatures.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited November 2021
    http://radio.garden/

Click on any green dot anywhere and you can access radio stations from that location if they are broadcasting online.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    92.3 out of Greensboro, NC has always been a staple for me. Lots of classic rock and songs that you haven't heard in a long time. FWIW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • I think that's what my wife already has, she likes to listen to WBJC classical from Baltimore and a French jazz station, Le Jazz Hot!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,927
    edited November 2021
    I think that's what my wife already has, she likes to listen to WBJC classical from Baltimore and a French jazz station, Le Jazz Hot!

WBJC :) When I was a lad, they had an outstanding weekend afternoon rock music program... that's a long, long, long time ago. The BJC in WBJC originally stood for "Baltimore Junior College", BTW and FWIW. ;)

Meanwhile, I did have sort-of a suggestion: You could do worse than check out VPR's livestreams (news, classical, BBC, and (?) jazz -- and their music programs' "replay" streams. :) Their All the Traditions and My Place are fabulous, and their all-Vermont music program Safe and Sound is pretty good, too. Their Friday Night Jazz is OK, but nothing like the quality it was under previous host Reuben Jackson. :|

https://www.vpr.org/online-streams

• I used to listen to Karl Haas broadcast on WBJC with his program, Adventures in Good Music. We were friends with a couple of the DJs and when they got rid of their vinyl records I got to pick up a few choice ones. They all have "WBJC" in magic marker on the back.
  • mhardy6647
    Oh -- and speaking of Baltimore radio... @SeleniumFalcon I don't think you're as nostalgia-driven as I am * but you still might enjoy leafing through the large (although not complete) collection of DC/Baltimore's Forecast FM magazines available online, as searchable PDFs, at (of course)
    https://worldradiohistory.com/Forecast-FM.htm

You probably already knew this -- but, in case you didn't... ;)

As an aside, my parents subscribed to Forecast FM for several years, so these bring back fairly specific memories for me. :)

0ecf9fuz1eal.png
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    steveinaz wrote: »

KSHE sucks!

Kidding Steve.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited November 2021
    audioluvr wrote: »
    steveinaz wrote: »

KSHE sucks!

Kidding Steve.

OFF WITH HIS HEAD !!! B)
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited November 2021
    It appears this thread has turned from recommended hardware internet tuners into recommended internet radio stations.

Along those lines, for classical music, I can recommend https://www.classical24.org/ This is a syndicated station that is part of APM americanpublicmedia.org

The interesting thing for me (using the Nashville syndicated station) is that it comes through at 24 bit, 44KHz. That's pretty high quality!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I like KYCH fm Portland Oregon.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    WRAS Georgia State radio out of Atlanta. Left on the Dial, Right on the Music.
  • treitz3
    jdjohn wrote: »
    It appears this thread has turned from recommended hardware internet tuners into recommended internet radio stations.
    What is the difference? I always thought an internet tuner was an internet radio station? The hardware would be your computer, no?

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Hardware recommendations eh....I have an Audioengine B1 which is super convenient and connects to Bluetooth instantly. I wouldn't recommend it in your primary rig, but for a secondary casual listening setup it works well. I also have a Marantz 6005 which is a beast in size compared to the Audioengine, runs directly from wifi or wired ethernet, sounds better, and really only works with the remote. There is a Marantz app for your phone but it is the worst audio app ever. Oh with the Audioengine you can stream Tidal also but the SQ is not so hot.
  • jdjohn
    treitz3 wrote: »
    jdjohn wrote: »
    What is the difference? I always thought an internet tuner was an internet radio station? The hardware would be your computer, no?

Tom
    When I think of an internet tuner, I think of some type of streamer. Scott mentioned the Logitech Squeezebox Touch as an example, and I know of other streamers as well that have radio 'apps', which allow the user the choose from a database of radio stations that stream over the internet; many of them are FM radio stations that stream as well as broadcast over FM in their local market. Some of the more popular radio apps are TuneIn Radio and iHeartRadio. These function much like satellite radio (Sirius XM), but they function over the internet instead of satellite.

But besides streamers, there are some devices that are strictly for playing internet radio...although I think the lines get blurred a bit in the differences between these types of devices, since most of them can also play Spotify, Pandora, etc.

I'm sure Ken knows about streamers, though, so he is probably looking specifically for an internet tuner.

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    Okay, thanks. When I think of streamer, I think of a network audio player. I looked this up (out of curiosity), since you pointed this out.
    What is a network tuner?
    Access millions of internet radio channels for free use with a music streaming player, or internet radio tuner. Connect the Internet radio tuner to the existing stereo system.
    So, basically, any electronic device nowadays can be a internet tuner. Even your phone, using BT. So, I guess the question becomes what would @SeleniumFalcon consider "good quality"? Good quality has so many different meanings to so many people on this board.
    A budget would also be helpful.

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2021
    Yeah, I struggle with the ambiguity/overlap of devices these days. When I think of "accessing"* anything on the internet, I think of using a 'pute. It's a good thing I am old. :# I'll probably be dead before I become a menace!

• jdjohn
    Magnum Dynalab has some nice internet tuners/streamers. Of course their analog FM tuners are legendary.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Hey Ken! Build yourself a raspberry pi streamer, configure it to play only radioparadise.com, and enjoy an eclectic, dj-mixed blend of rock, indie, electronica, world music, and more.

listener supported & always 100% commercial free
  • mhardy6647
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Hey Ken! Build yourself a raspberry pi streamer, configure it to play only radioparadise.com, and enjoy an eclectic, dj-mixed blend of rock, indie, electronica, world music, and more.

listener supported & always 100% commercial free

Seconded. I wanna see @SeleniumFalcon 's build thread for one... it should be pretty good! :)
  • Thanks for all the suggestions! The original idea behind the request was a way for my wife to have a broader range of listening choices in her studio. She has a pretty neat little system using a Sony mini-system receiver playing through a pair of Fulton 80 speakers (at one time I was contemplating recreating the Fulton J system) and a subwoofer. She figured out a solution using her iPad and can hear anything she wants, including Baltimore classical stations. All's well in Musicland.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Radio Paradise is great and commercial free. Plus you can select a couple/few specific genres and you have the option to chose what bit-rate you want.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    I've used pi with a USB dac for all my music.
    Volumio loaded up. They seem to break streaming
    radio with every other update lately.
    I have a second older pi with a $20 used dac
    hat off ebay that sounds OK.
    I set volume at 12 o'clock and use hardware
    volume control, so no getting upto change volume.
    Works well for my music in lossless flac on a
    USB thumb. Prices on those in bigger sizes
    have been dropping.
    Radio paradise Rock streaming right now.
    Linn has some high quality jazz and classical
    Stations. I only go for the higher resolution
    Streams.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I've used pi with a USB dac for all my music.
    Volumio loaded up. They seem to break streaming
    radio with every other update lately.
    I have a second older pi with a $20 used dac
    hat off ebay that sounds OK.
    I set volume at 12 o'clock and use hardware
    volume control, so no getting upto change volume.
    Works well for my music in lossless flac on a
    USB thumb. Prices on those in bigger sizes
    have been dropping.
    Radio paradise Rock streaming right now.
    Linn has some high quality jazz and classical
    Stations. I only go for the higher resolution
    Streams.

I do similar, but instead of a Pi, I find old cheap Thin Client PCs (WYSE Dx0D/5010 are my favorite) and load them with Daphile. Daphile may not be a pretty as Volumio, but I've never had issues with it breaking my streaming radio. I have saved addresses for Jazz24, all the Radio Paradise channels and a few other stations. Of course, I also use it to stream all my FLAC and DSD files bit perfect from my server as well.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Volumio is now offering commercial products.
    I think they have prioritized that over free stuff.
    I used to use foobar, but windows overhead
    caused me a lot of playback issues. Looks like
    Daphile fixes that by using redhat?
    I may give that a trial using one of my spare laptops.
    If it works I might go the mini PC route.
    Raspberry has some big issues caused by their
    commitment to small and simple hardware format.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited August 2022
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Looks like
    Daphile fixes that by using redhat?
    I may give that a trial using one of my spare laptops.
    If it works I might go the mini PC route.
    Raspberry has some big issues caused by their
    commitment to small and simple hardware format.

Daphile doesn't need Redhat. It is self contained Linux based. If you install it, that device will only run Daphile and it is headless. You interface with a browser to the IP address (for that reason, setup as static to ensure you can find it). That's why I use the Thin Clients. If you don't plan on using wifi, you can get one for $25 or less. WiFi (AC usually) usually brings them up to around $40, but occasionally less. Daphile will run with no issues on only 2GB RAM and a small 4GB SSD. Check out ebay. (here is an example of one with wifi: https://www.ebay.com/itm/195250299018?epid=660803678&hash=item2d75d3208a:g:Iw0AAOSww5Bi4vXb
    Make sure to get one with the PS and Flash drive. They are often sold without one or both and that can add quite a bit of cost to replace those missing parts.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...