What frustrates you the most about your system on any given day?

Options
2»

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    butterbean wrote: »
    To me the hobby, the enjoyment, the thrill is HEARING my favorite music Sound as real and alive as possible. I’m happy with what I have. I may upgrade. I may not. I’m a pretty simple man.

That is a common goal we all share. My response was in regards to your saying you had system envy.

I am just trying to say to move into to the higher fi setups, you have to change your thought process on how this all works.

Purchase versus investment.

New gear at full msrp is a purchase. Not many people can afford to spend a quarter of a million on a system. This Uber high end eventually bottoms out in pricing to where it fits in the market today. An Amp that was 15k 15 years ago will probably go for 3 or 4k now and it will probably maintain that value for a very long time, especially as the market price continues to go up.

I view my system as a savings account that I can listen to. I could sell most everything for what I have in it or more, if needed, even ten years from now that same statement will be true based on how I have seen gear pricing.

This makes making the initial purchase much easier to justify.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    The only time I can remember being really "frustrated" is when cd's arrived in mid 80's. Yes I was frustrated about the expense of having to change to new format while trying to raise a family and pay a mortgage. So I fought that change hard for a few years trying to convince myself that my cassettes and records were just fine. The end result is I succumbed to the better sound and now that frustration is a distant memory
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,894
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I purchased my W4S gear new 8-9 years ago (I still have it) and just purchased my Cary gear brand new as well, I have no regrets in buying new. Shopping for used gear that you want can be a PIA as well, some of that gear rarely comes up for sale, and sometimes it pops up at the wrong time because of other things in life going on, or other hobbies, you just pass on it..

I know my Cary gear is not going anywhere anytime soon, it is by far the best audio purchase I have made..

If you're into swapping gear in and out of your system to try new flavors, then I agree buying used makes sense.

IMO buying receivers is the worst thing to purchase new..

The one piece of gear that has kept it's value at close to MSRP or above if in great shape is the Adcom GFP-750 it's crazy that it keeps the price tag it does and it's what 20 years old? or something close to that.. Even the 5802 does well in the used market, a lot of Adcom gear does fairly well considering..

Pros and cons to both depending on what you are doing in this hobby...
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    Options
    For me there are a few things that frustrate me about my system on any given day.

In varying order depending on the day:
    1. I don't get to listen to it enough
    2. I go from loving the sound to wanting to improve the equipment.
    3. I don't get to listen to it enough
    Make it Funky! :)
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Some days my system just sits there and does nothing.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    I would say the environment in which my system sits is my biggest frustration.
    - Interference comes through when using certain phonostages.
    - Room treatment (or lack thereof) and positioning
    - Other gear (vintage) from my dad's collection clutters up the place, being a constant, nagging reminder that I need to do something with it.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,683
    Options
    I only get frustrated when I cant listen to my systems at any given time.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • SillyOldSod
    Options
    "What frustrates you the most about your system on any given day?" -

1- The room. It's an odd shape, it's too small for my stuff and it's too square to make good bass.

2 - The chaos. My ADHD approach to changing gear precludes my ever having the system dialed in and working to its fullest potential. (But at least I'm cognizant of my weakness for buying/changing stuff so I'm able to adjust my expectations accordingly, sometimes.)

3 - The clutter. On an almost daily basis I struggle with the temptation to sell most of the many black-boxes and buy a quality integrated amp with inbuilt DAC and streamer.

4 - The surface noise. I've a true love/hate relationship with vinyl. I lack the discipline to properly care for my records and I'm irritated by how even new vinyl can come with elevated levels of surface noise.

Otherwise it's all good.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,311
    Options
    He posts!!! 😎

Ladies and gentlemen. I am pleased to introduce you to SillyOldSod. This is one of the cats that met up with us at the latest Carolina GTG. One of the coolest guys you will ever meet up with. He is bashful about his audio knowledge but he's been through more gear than Trey and I combined. He's been at it longer than we have as well.

He comes to us with a great style of British humor and if you blink? You done missed it. He's kinda like Ron White with his whiskey glass. He says things so nonchalantly that if you aren't paying attention? You simply missed it.

Please allow me to offer you an official warm welcome to the Polk Forum!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SillyOldSod
    Options
    Well, thank you Tom for the nice welcome. :) I don't know who Ron White is but anyone who drinks whiskey is cool with me. (so long as it's a nice single malt).
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    Dust magnets. Dust frustrates me. And the greasy fingerprint dust combo on piano black anything.

:)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    Who woke up @SillyOldSod and let him in?

Any guy who A. know who Nick Drake is and B. drinks single malts is OK with me.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • SillyOldSod
    Options
    I actually found this forum by Googling “hearing aid batteries”.
    It’s nice to be among so many people with the same affliction.
  • treitz3
    Options

Dang...If someone put that on their signature? Awe chit son! LOL

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,180
    edited April 2022
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

Dang...If someone put that on their signature? Awe chit son! LOL

Tom

That wouldn't be a *ringing* endorsement for Polk..... :#

PS: but it might be apropos for the avg. age of us forum members lol
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    edited April 2022
    Options
    He posts!!! 😎

Ladies and gentlemen. I am pleased to introduce you to SillyOldSod. This is one of the cats that met up with us at the latest Carolina GTG. One of the coolest guys you will ever meet up with. He is bashful about his audio knowledge but he's been through more gear than Trey and I combined. He's been at it longer than we have as well.

He comes to us with a great style of British humor and if you blink? You done missed it. He's kinda like Ron White with his whiskey glass. He says things so nonchalantly that if you aren't paying attention? You simply missed it.

Please allow me to offer you an official warm welcome to the Polk Forum!

Tom

As long as he can handle a healthy dose of Sam Kinison, we're good! Welcome to the club Silly... the Minister of Silly Walks will see you shortly.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options

He comes to us with a great style of British humor and if you blink? You done missed it.

Kewl! Welcome! Been around deaf folks and if you ask them to repeat, you get.... :D

https://youtu.be/A97OxM5gAHU

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SillyOldSod
    Options
    Thanks y’all!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Mine is still in boxes from the move. SillyOldSod looks like a chump that I might let wash my car.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Shut up Russ.

Tom