Analog Productions UHQR Kind of Blue

I recently received my copy of Analog Productions UHQR Kind of Blue. Over all it sounds great, however half way through track 3 on side 1, Blue in Green, there appears a heavy tape hiss sound which is very annoying. This sound also pops in, to a lesser extent, on side 2. I hear the same thing on the Sony Legacy copy I bought a year ago. I balmed it on a $20 pressing and figured it would not appear on a $100 pressing. Is this just the way it is with this recording? Is it actually loud tape noise, is it the drummer swirrling brushes around the snare, is it a defect with the pressing? I do not have a long history listening the this record, so any input will be helpful. Thanks!
Hafler DH220 Power amp Recapped
Hafler DH110 Preamp Recapped
Hafler Digital FM Tuner
Virtue Audio M1 Piano CD Player
Technics SL-1210-MK5 with a Rega Exact Cartridge
Polk SDA1c's(Rebuilt XO's by Ben) RDO194 Tweeters

Comments

• I have it on tape, I'll listen.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited September 2021
    Sounds like the drummer adding "atmosphere" to me on the mono hi res digital 192/24 version. At least in parts. I haven't listened to other versions I have but I suspect they're similar.

There is a some minor tape hiss that's audible at the beginning of track 3 but that's something different. The sound throughout seems to vary quite a bit. I suppose it could just be tape hiss that hasn't been taken out in remastering. People have been saying for many years that Kind of Blue is great music but get annoyed with the extra "noise" in it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    I've had the same thing on old recordings transferred to CD, for most it is the tape limitations. I've bought "newly remastered" SACD's and the horror of paying a premium price for those and still have the same limitations in the recording.

I sort of remember the disclaimer for Cd's when they first came out.
    This recording was mastered on analog machines and analog tape something something therefore you may experience the limitations of the tape.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    I have a Redbook CD that has audible tape hiss on several tracks.
  • gdphoto
    gdphoto Posts: 182
    What I hear on side one defiantly sounds like amplified tape noise. Side two sounds more like brushes on the snare.
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    gdphoto wrote: »
    What I hear on side one defiantly sounds like amplified tape noise. Side two sounds more like brushes on the snare.

That's what I think I'm hearing in the mono version. The reason I say that is there seems to be a rhythm to it on that track associated with the drummer's actions. Sort of like a dragging a brush sound rather than tape hiss. I think with a lower resolution system that track would sound like it has noise from a microphonic tube.
  • gdphoto
    gdphoto Posts: 182
    I agree. I am not as concerned with the second side, because if you listen carefully you can heard a pattern to the brushes.
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    @hochpt21 you got this version?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.