New turntable -- Rega vs VPI vs MoFi

Emlyn
Emlyn Posts: 4,346
edited September 2021 in 2 Channel Audio
I've had the same turntable, a Music Hall MMF-7, for the last twenty years and am thinking about upping the game with a new one in a big way without going overboard. Some cartridges alone do cost more than a used car these days! The MMF-7 is what I considered to be entry level while still being just good enough to produce better toe-tapping sound than from CD. I'm aiming for something that's a lot better and not that interested in tinkering with setup and micro-adjustments so would just get one with a matched cartridge ready installed.

The models I'm considering are Rega Planar 6 through 10 or a VPI Prime. The MoFi Ultradeck turntable with cartridge also has my attention because it costs less. They all seem to take very different approaches in design.

Anyone got experience with recent models?

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Have you considered any direct drive models from Technics?
  • Emlyn
    I still have an SL1200MKII that was built near their end of original production. Great for rocking out and a fun table, but too noisy to use long term. The MMF-7 produces a more refined sound.
  • Clipdat
    Rgr that.

I certainly wouldn't mind owning this Rega! https://www.musicdirect.com/turntables/Rega-Planar-10-Turntable

Sorry this doesn't really help your thread.
  • Emlyn
    That does help really because I had forgot to look into the more recent rebirth of the Technics direct drive tables to see if they really improved on the motor noise and tonearm interaction somehow. I think I saw they've been trying to market and sell an "audiophile" version for $20K.
  • Clipdat
    Yeah they definitely have some premium priced models now for sure. It's funny because the Technics vs Rega design approach for their turntables is pretty much completely opposite.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    A couple of features to consider:

1) The Rega arm does not have adjustable VTA/tonearm height. I'm sure their Rega carts will be plug-and-play, but just pointing it out. The lack of this feature has been a bone of contention over the years with Rega arms...especially for the price paid.

2) The VPI has a unipivot arm. Unipivots can be fiddly with adjustments, although I'm sure VPI has done everything possible to make it simple. Unipivots can have sonic advantages, so usually worth the trouble.

I would also consider an EAT (European Audio Team) turntable. They have unipivot arms, but a somewhat simpler design than VPI.

Or for something completely different, maybe one of George Merrill's modern designs: http://www.hifigem.com/polytable.html Not the sexiest in looks, but should sound great.

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    I don’t love Rega, but have always fancied one of these:

https://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/michell-gyrodec-turntable
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    Emlyn wrote: »
    That does help really because I had forgot to look into the more recent rebirth of the Technics direct drive tables to see if they really improved on the motor noise and tonearm interaction somehow. I think I saw they've been trying to market and sell an "audiophile" version for $20K.

There is some motor noise on the Ultratracker but it doesn't really bother me as I can't hear
    anything at the speaker end. You have to be about right on top of it to notice it. It's a nice
    sounding table that responded well to regenerated power.

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Emlyn
    The EAT C-Sharp has my attention. Apparently somewhat related to Pro-Ject tables coming out of the Czech Republic for decades. I think the Music Hall tables may have been from there too. EAT seems to have restarted manufacture of high quality Tesla tubes as well so it seems they're a serious business.

A thing that bothers me about the new Rega tables is I have a hard time wrapping my head around their use of foam for the plinth and being able to explain to someone that a table that looks like that costs several thousand dollars and looks like a toy. They may call the foam by a fancy name and say it's used in aerospace applications but it's still foam and it's very visible as such. They also seem to have a reputation for sounding kind of thin which is not something I'd be happy with since I listen to a wide variety of music. VPI has always struck me as being fussy to live with.

The EAT table doesn't seem to have a problem with bass plus it looks like a traditional turntable should, as does the MoFi table...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nbwUpan7wc
  • jdjohn
    edited September 2021
    Did @BlueFox get a turntable and record that video? ;)
    That model does look...what for it...sharp :D
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    If I could afford it, I'd have a Prime. During the lockdown last year, I watched a lot of VPI videos on Youtube, and the tech in that table just makes so much sense to me.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    jdjohn wrote: »

Or for something completely different, maybe one of George Merrill's modern designs: http://www.hifigem.com/polytable.html Not the sexiest in looks, but should sound great.

I agree, you should take a look at this table. Merrill is all about function first. The design of the table and the digital speed control means optimum speed control without having to purchase add on power supplies, like with some other tables.

The Sorane arms have adjustable VTA but not on the fly though.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • jdjohn
    Emlyn wrote: »
    A thing that bothers me about the new Rega tables is I have a hard time wrapping my head around their use of foam for the plinth and being able to explain to someone that a table that looks like that costs several thousand dollars and looks like a toy. They may call the foam by a fancy name and say it's used in aerospace applications but it's still foam and it's very visible as such. They also seem to have a reputation for sounding kind of thin which is not something I'd be happy with since I listen to a wide variety of music.
    Regarding the foam, I was just reading that there have been complaints about the foam plinths warping/sagging over time, and Rega is basically saying, "Nah...it's all good."
  • jdjohn
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I agree, you should take a look at this table. Merrill is all about function first. The design of the table and the digital speed control means optimum speed control without having to purchase add on power supplies, like with some other tables.

The Sorane arms have adjustable VTA but not on the fly though.
    Of course a person could jump to this level of a Merrill turntable: https://www.realturntable.com/
    d4cde8p3tl4n.png
    But you'd have to multiply the price by about 3 compared to his PolyTable offering.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    I was looking at the EAT and VPI tables and ended up with a VPI, but I don't think one could go wrong with the EAT. The VPI is not a plug and play, it takes a few adjustments to get going, but once done you're good to go. I recommend Soundsmith carts.

As for the Unipivot they offer an optional plate and point device, which I bought. It steadies the arm without hurting the performance. Some say it improves the performance.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jdjohn
    @Emlyn not sure if you're committed to buying brand-new, but shamelessly, I have a Clearaudio Concept MC tt that needs a good home. It sounds fantastic, but I need to thin the herd.
  • Emlyn
    That's a really nice table, but I am looking to get a new table and keep it for a long time. I'm leaning in the VPI direction a bit.
  • jdjohn
    Understood...just wanted to throw it out there.
    You can't go wrong with VPI. I was recently considering a used HW-19, but it couldn't accommodate the longer arm I wanted to utilize.
  • I have a current model Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 cartridge and my Dad has a current model Rega Planar 6, Ania Pro cartridge. We both previously had the regular base Ania cartridge before upgrading. Both decks sound wonderful to me. I don't notice any bass lacking compared to my digital source for what ever that is worth. The sagging plinth issue brought up above was an issue with the previous generation Planar 8/10 and to my knowledge was fixed with the redesign of the plinth on the current model. I have read no reports of any sagging issues regarding the current model. I get that the styling isn't for everyone but I certainly don't think it looks cheap or poorly made in person. Just my two cents though.1hrk230pt0tc.jpg
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • Emlyn
    That's a good looking setup! Thanks for the advice and photo.
  • tratliff wrote: »
    I have had a Prime for the last few years. I also have a Denon DD. I haven’t looked back after getting the VPI. As has been said it was fussy at first but after break-In and final adjustment it’s been nothing but great listening. The uni-pivot does take some getting use to but not sure I would trade it unless my budget was greatly increased.

I've heard this specific Prime. I would take it over my MoFi Ultradeck. It's double the price, so it makes sense. But if I was going to double my money, I'd be giving a hard look at the Prime series and the Technics 1200G.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • On the Rega options, I do think they sound very good, and the design is wild. Picking up a Rega plinth and feeling how lightweight it is in the hand is a trip. I think it's probably the most plug and play option. But moving to non-Rega cart often involves spacers and just more effort in general. I went elsewhere because I didn't want to feel somewhat confined to the Rega ecosystem.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2021
    Of course a person could jump to this level of a Merrill turntable: https://www.realturntable.com/

But you'd have to multiply the price by about 3 compared to his PolyTable offering.

I'm all in for helping Emlyn spend. :D

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2021

Well congrats! Which cartridge did you get?
  • Emlyn
    I went with the included/mounted option which is an Ortofon Quintet Black, which amounts to a $500 discount from the MSRP. Seems to be decent and I generally like Ortofon products anyway.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    Congrats! Hope you like it.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    I’ve got an older VPI Scoutmaster and a new Rega P6 tricked out with a few upgrades.....

If you put a gun to my head, I’m sticking with the VPI.....music just appears from blackness. It is deliberate and solid and the bass is taught and tuneful. The Rega is lighter and just musical. The VPI is a bit more fiddly.....but not like the suspension tables. Rega is plug and play for the most part.

Both are solid choices.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Emlyn
    I may still end up with a VPI or Rega table in the next few years.