Is the PPI guy a loony?

Options
AustinKP
AustinKP Posts: 861
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
So I called PPI to find out if I needed a Y splitter or if my amp would work with just one pair of RCA's. Turns out there's some switch so I only need one pair. I was asking him about the fuses and he told me that I need one w/ in 18" of the Battery (this I knew) and ALSO one fuse w/ in 18" of the amp. Is that true or is he feeding me a line? To rephrase, for one amp with one power wire straight from the battery to the amp, I need 2 fuses? Logical?
http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
Post edited by AustinKP on

Comments

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited June 2004
    Options
    He's probably not feeding you a line, but he probably misunderstands some competition rules. From the wording, its easy to confuse "18 inches from the battery and from any distro block" and "18 inches from the battery only and also have access to the amp fuses".

All in all, just need the proper fuse close to the battery.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    Options
    ive been told that small fuses (80A and smaller) can take huge amounts of power and not blow
    meaning if just a little more power over the amp rating itll blow, but a huge surge can go right through it
    thats what ive been told, whether or not its right i dunno...
    when i had my bd1000 i was only running one fuse from the 4awg and at the time i didnt have a distro block and the amp that was powering my mm6s only had one as well
    more fuses never hurt...and theyre not expensive...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Fusing the amp at the battery and at the amp is actually the proper way to do it just like never driving over the speed limit is the proper way to drive but as we all know......

I have never fused my amps at the amp and in 14 years of piddling, the only amp Ive ever had die was an Alpine 4 channel that went kaputz 2 weeks after I bought it. I replaced it and it is running off the exact same wiring scheme and has been for about a year now with nary a problem!

bottom line: it wont hurt to fuse it at the amp as well, but you dont have to. Consider it an extra layer of insurance
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Consider it an extra layer of insurance
    very true, a 50 cent fuse is a lot better to replace than a 500 dollar amp...
    but then again how many wiring kits do you see with two fuses?
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by exalted512
    but then again how many wiring kits do you see with two fuses?
    -Cody
    Exactly! That's what made me wonder...

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    are you ever going to be running 2 amps?
    maybe this is a good time to put one fuse by the battery and put a fused distrobution block in the back, its ok to only have one coming out, and then when you get another amp all you gotta do is put it in the distro block with the proper fuse and there ya go:)
    you might want to get a ANL fuse for the one by the battery
    its a lot easier to find an ANL fuse with a fuse rating of 100A or more, its pretty impossible to find much over 80A in AGU fuses
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Well, I don't have the money to get another fuse holder or a distro block right now. (actually, I do, but if I spend another cent on this stereo right now, my wife will skin me alive) Tell me if this would work: for now, I'll put the AGU fuse holder next to the battery and nothing before the amp. When(hopefully not if) I get another amp for my sub, I'll put an ANL fuse holder next to the battery, and move the AGU fuse to before the amp. Sound good?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    Options
    how bout you put the AGU next to the battery now and get a fused distro when you get the sub amp?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2004
    Options
    That's probably work. How expensive are ANL fuse holders compared to AGU?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    Options
    from knukonceptz:
    ANL: $20.00
    AGU: $6.00

jeez... but, it's not that much in the grand scheme of things...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited June 2004
    Options
    well...If you not all amps need extrenal fuses...cause some have them allready!. Ive always put an external fuse if it has no internals...just makes good sense. I have saved amps that way. fuse blew instead of amp due to bad ground..wich I thought was good!.

A few extra dollars and things done right! saves time and money in the future!.:cool:
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    Options
    mmmm..... money....

donuts....

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    a agu 4 pack of 80a fuses is like 5 bucks
    a anl 100a fuse is about 11 bucks and hard to find under 100A
    i still say shell out the $20 extra dollars and get the anl fuse and holder
    itll save you time and money in the long run
    i got mine from www.carmedia1.com cheapest i could find...it was like $7 and $7 for shipping---$14 total and still the cheapest one i could find...
    check ebay--a fuse holder is a fuse holder, as long as its waterproof
    -Cody
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited June 2004
    Options
    The fuse by the battery is to keep the car from catching on fire, like if the wire runs through the firewall without a proper grommet, or if the wire shorts to ground somewhere else along the way. Fuses in the back are for convenience, I've used fused distribution blocks when running multiple amps so that if one fuse goes you don't lose the whole system. At a show this past weekend my sub amp stopped working and the fuse at the dist. block was fine, the fuses on the amp blew. I've never put a second fuse in line by the amp when running a single amp system, and never had a problem. I've seen plenty of guys running multiple amps with a non- fused distibution block with no problems as well.
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    those guys that ran multiple amps with a non-fused distro block had fuses inside the amps right?
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Do ALL amps have built-in fuses, even if they aren't externally accessible? Cause I thought that the PPI guy said mine didn't have any fuses, but at Radio Shak last night, I talked to a guy who was an installer for 12 years and he said that *every* amp has internal fuses. Who's correct?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited June 2004
    Options
    As far as I can remember, every amp I've ever used has had fuses on the end panel, but I think I remember a friend of mine in high school that had a Phoenix Gold amp that didn't. Most amps do but I wouldn't bet that every amp does.
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Mine definitely has No fuses on the end panel. Just wondering if there was one inside somewhere that I missed when looking over it quickly...

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Xtant does not have internal fuses. You have to install one for each amp in-line somewhere. Its a real pain in the ****.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    that guy may have been an installer for 12 years...but he still works at radio shack...id say about 25-45% of amps do not have fuses
    none of my do
    even if they did, i would still put fuses outside the amp and hope that if a fuse did blow, itd be those...theyre much easier to change out
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited June 2004
    Options
    My US Amps TU-600 does not have fuses, since it has dual power and ground terminals (one per channel i assume) i just put a fused distro block right next to the amp and called it a day...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I guess Im making more out of it but that was always a turn off for me on Xtant amps (along with low power ratings). I didnt want to have to mess with it. Maybe Im just lazy.

Once I get some better and bigger amps I will probably uase a fused distro block. It is cheap insurance.

• TrappedUnder Ice
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Does have internal or maxi fuses:
    Planet audio
    Massive audio
    Autotek

does not:
    RF
    PPI
    Alpine

just a few off hand that I'm usin at the moment...
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Not trying to be nit picky but Alpines do have internal fuses. I have two of their amps and both are fused. :cool:

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Not trying to be nit picky but Alpines do have internal fuses. I have two of their amps and both are fused. :cool:

I second this. I just looked at two different models and both had blade fuses. I'm VERY surprised RF does not... I thought it was sort of a standard thing! JL also does NOT have fuses... at least accessable from the exterior (or I didn't look hard enough).
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited June 2004
    Options
    damn...your right..the alpine does have fuese...(doh!):eek: