(-)dB on Ripped CDs

My (new-to-me) Innuos Zen streamer came with a lot of existing music on the internal drive. A lot of the titles have a suffix of (-XXdB), with the XX usually being somewhere between 30 and 50. I suppose the original 'ripper' was trying to manage the 'loudness' of certain CDs he/she was ripping.

Does that sound feasible, and does anyone here do such a thing when ripping CDs?
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Sounds like they used replay gain when they ripped them so the volume would be consistent when played. Not a feature any serious audiophile would ever use.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Congrats on the Zen. Love my Zen mk3.

Before the zen, I ripped my cds to uncompressed wave using DB Poweramp. I do not have this issue. If it's music you have already on disks, I would re- rip them
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.