Replacing Mains only in surround system

OnlyPolk
OnlyPolk Posts: 137
I want to upgrade my mains to the Reserve series. My question is "Can I leave the rest of the system as is".
And that consists of
CSIA6 center
OWM3 pair for presence speakers - mounted high
FXi 5 pair for surrounds- mounted high

I'm upgrading my Yamaha AVR with a current model model that is Atmos capable. The one I'm considering is 100W to each channel. Y sales rep has informed me that the Atmos signal will be output to the presence speakers.

Advice? Thanks

Comments

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Only you can answer this one because the RTiA center will have a different timber than the Reserve. You might be fine with it or not after calibration. A Reserve or LSiM706c, 704c center (on closeout for $399, $250) would be a better option.

Then, the FXi surrounds should work if set to directional bipole mode for object based ATMOS systems.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    The front 3 should be timbre matched.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Polk has three different speakers in the Reserve line that are designed to serve as a center channel. I would budget money in for one of those as well as the main speakers before buying anything. Also, try and budget for a receiver that has multi channel preamplifier outputs on the back so you could add a separate amplifier later on to run the Reserve speakers.
  • OnlyPolk
    Thanks, you've given me some ideas. I think I am going to decide between R700+R900 and an R series center (no sub) OR R200+R900+ sub + R series center.
    I'm not that keen on having the best in surround sound as I once was. I started with upgrading, what to me was the most important part-video, the TV and the Blu Ray. I have another setup for music with Silver 500 MA's so I don't need the fronts to be great with music.
  • OnlyPolk
    I don't know IF/HOW/Whether I can offer used Polk speakers for sale here... but I just ordered a pair of Reserve 700's to replace my RTA 12B's.
    I will sell my RTA's dirt cheap to anyone interested here. I live in SC 25 miles from Charlotte NC
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    OnlyPolk wrote: »
    I don't know IF/HOW/Whether I can offer used Polk speakers for sale here... but I just ordered a pair of Reserve 700's to replace my RTA 12B's.
    I will sell my RTA's dirt cheap to anyone interested here. I live in SC 25 miles from Charlotte NC

Just post a FS ad in the appropriate section, you have enough posts. One rule is you must post a price.
  • OnlyPolk
    Ok thanks Ken, will do
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Comin’ to the party too late😟 w/my $0.02…

I think a large part of your dissatisfaction is: your system is and, even following your upgrade, will remain under powered.

Regardless unless you plan to gradually replace the other speakers, I’d have bought RTi A series towers.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • OnlyPolk
    The 700's will be the last speakers I will buy. The main reason they are there is that my RTA's were 40 years old (I only had them for 13) and I was impressed with the reviews. Yes maybe I would have been just as well served with the RTIA's but I could not find any for sale.
    People say you need to match the "timbre". What does that mean? The center carries dialogue primarily. Why would the sounds of dialogue have to have the same timbre as what is carried in the mains? The people that say you need to match by getting the same line for the fronts, also admit that does not guarantee that it will help. So what the heck is the recommendation worth?
    Here's a forum that discussed this
    https://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/42936/myth-matching-center-channel-speaker