Polk Monitor 10Bs versus LS90, LS50 and LS-CS350

Options
I currently use Monitor 10Bs which I am extremely happy with and, more surprisingly, my wife allowed into the living room. I am using using a Mirage OM C2 center speaker and Mirage omnipolar rears, running through a Pioneer SCLX 57.

I can get a set of LS90, LS50 and LS-CS350 for $1000 but won't be able to audition them. They are not light. How to the LS90 compare with the Monitor 10Bs ? Has anybody used the LS series for home theater ?

Any opinions welcomed. I have 3 days to decide.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    The CS350 is a darn nice center, I've two of them myself.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the LS series, especially for HT. Price of the package you mentioned is way steep IMO. I recently sold this set for $700, including the SVS sub...

862pwvd7t66t.jpg
  • MadestMaxwell
    Options
    Many thanks for your comments. Yeah I may hang back on the price if I can....considering I got my Monitor 10Bs and stands for a lot lot less ;) Could and should the LS50s be used as rear surround speakers ? IF not, I'm not sure what I'll do with them, assuming the LS 90s are superior. To knock the Monitor 10Bs off the perch they'll have to be good.....damn good.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    I used LS50s as rear surrounds with great results
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I owned the LS90's and they're darn nice speakers. Maybe better than the monitor 10b's I've owned a bunch of monitor 10s and still own a pair.

Yes, you could certainly use the LS50s for rears. That's what the previous owner probably did.

The price is too high by a lot. 500 or 6 tops. Maybe some tweeters or woofers are blown or some repair has to be done to the spiders where they attach to their baskets.

Is my advice too late?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • MadestMaxwell
    Options
    Not too late at all and many thanks. The LS90s look attractive with the veneer which might win me much needed wife appeal factor ( I am not sure yet whether to "surprise her" her ...it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission !) but the LS50s are bigger rears than my current ones...and she doesn't love those. The Monitor 10s were a triumph ...but I have made a few errors of judgement too. It could be the last upgrade before I eventually shuffle off to a retirement village and these beasts will be too heavy to take with me
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    Well I hope you get a split package discount that makes both you and the seller happy.

If the seller will split it up. :)

I could've lived happily ever after with those L90s. until I heard more expensive speakers. But the LS 90s are a laid back kind of detailed sound. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I purchased a mint pair of LS-50’s with original boxes for $125. LS-90’s should be around $350 in my area but sometimes sit for a long time for sale. CS-350 should be around $125 in excellent condition, I’ve purchased two recently one in original box. The LS-50’s in particular I found to be quite attractive.
  • MadestMaxwell
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes a price drop definitely required. One review but only one I read mentioned the L90s as being "bright and fatiguing", possibly due to room placement. I am not a fan of brightness...and certainly not at a premium price !! Cheers
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I don’t agree with that review. They are good speakers. The guy just has them overpriced. My guess is they will sit a long time unsold. I would tell him in a very nice way if he ever gets down to $600 to give you a call. In a couple months he may be calling you. Or wait for a set of LSi’s that are better overall and valued somewhat similarly to what those LS’s should be
  • MadestMaxwell
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. LSi's could be what I am after !! Or SDAs !
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
  • MadestMaxwell
    Options
    But I thought everyone loved SDAs ?!!

I might just upgrade the tweeters and crossovers on my trusty 10Bs and stop dreaming of further musical nirvana. The guy moved a bit on price but the price is still not bargain basement. I have bought two different Polk center speakers trying to knock my Mirage OM C2 off the perch and magically integrate but could not hear a lot of difference or any real improvement so sold them both. The LS90 and C350 could do it paired up, but a lot of coin and 600 mile return road trip wild goose chase could be my biggest folly ever. But those rosewood veneers look nice ! And maybe the passive driver on the 10Bs gives something important up to the LS90s ?
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Have you mentioned whether or not you have done any mods to your 10B's? Putting aside that there are many here who say the Monitor 7 is better because of the lack of combing and lobing issues, you could take them to another level entirely. If you want to improve the quality of the bass, Dynamat plus xschop Semi rings and maybe even UPOCC wire from the XO to the MW's would make a huge difference.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • MadestMaxwell
    Options
    Thanks George. I have decided to pass on the LS90 package as the seller was too greedy. I thought I could start with replacing the the SL2000 tweeters with the RD0194-1. Listening to the 10Bs last night night at a generous volume in stereo I don't really have a problem with the current tweeter, except for maybe with a few brittle tracks I enjoy ( Ry Cooder's Get Rhythm..great song, nasty pressing etc) I don't even have a problem with the bass. I thought I was over the quest for improved sounds as a result of my wife's "conditioning"..... till this vintage Polk package lured me back in. I would still grab SDAs or the Lsi15s, but getting an upgrade of the 10B might be a modest and sensible start.

I might start the day by dragging out my old Mirage M390IS speakers from the garage where they languish and have a listen for old times sake..and then enjoy the Polks even more when I go back to them. I am sure my back is still up to it !

Cheers
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    SDA's suck!!
    qr2lnt3jecku.jpeg

I agree with @pitdogg2 . That’s the reason these are in my rotation.😁
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • MadestMaxwell
    Options
    @Gardenstater I have decided to to get my Monitor 10s upgraded . "Dynamat plus xschop Semi rings" sounds interesting. Are there any links to how this is done ?

Cheers
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    Options
    Awesome! You will not be disappointed. These wide particle board baffles do flex a lot more than you might imagine and Rob's (xschop) thick steel semi-rings in horizontal orientation epoxied in with JBWeld are a HUGE improvement on that score. Dynamat Xtreme is a tried and true mod and mandatory as far as I'm concerned, for any stamped steel basket/frame driver. Just doing that alone will produce a nicer sound, especially on percussion. He's not real active over here anymore but here's a thread and there is a contact email to reach him there:

https://audiomilitia.proboards.com/thread/386/midwoofer-backing-rings
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • MadestMaxwell
    Options
    Brilliant. Thanks so much for the link. The RD0194-1 are supposed to be a nice upgrade too.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    Brilliant. Thanks so much for the link. The RD0194-1 are supposed to be a nice upgrade too.

They are.....and keep your ear to the ground for SDA’s.

Cheers,

BDT

I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • edubb46
    Options
    I own 10s and LS-70s. Nothing to add to already shared comments, expect to acknowledge that I agree and pricing expectations were spot on (I'm in FL).
    edubb46