Polk Monitor 10Bs versus LS 90 LS70 and LS50

MadestMaxwell
MadestMaxwell Posts: 11
edited August 2021 in Speakers
I am an extremely happy owner of the 10Bs and was amazed my wife ever allowed them into the living room ! After owning many many speakers, these are excellent all rounders with authentic timbres and bass slam when required. I am using them with a Mirage OMC-C2 center speaker, which I have tried to "upgrade" with large Polk center speaker ( I can't remember which model) but reverted to the Mirage. It is pretty impressive.
I have the opportunity to buy a set of LS90, 70 and 50 speakers. I will not be able to audition them, the asking price is $1000 so they are not being given away. I have been able to find a couple of examples of LS90s being played on Youtube and they do sound promising. I enjoy the 10 inch driver on the Monitor 10s. And also the easy going high frequencies.

Is anyone out there familiar with both ? Your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated. I then have to convince my wife we need them !! I think in HT mode they could sound impressive, not to mention stereo mode with the LS90. I am using a Pioneer SCLX 57 receiver. I currently have some modest Mirage OM rear surround speakers. I am not sure wife could live with the LS50 as rear speakers as they would be a bit conspicuous jammed alongside our leather couch. My current rears and slightly more discrete bookshelf ones which I suspect she only tolerates.

This could be my final "upgrade" before I eventually shuffle off to a retirement home..or die prematurely while trying to rearrange the heavy LS series

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Double post for you but I have a little more to add. :)

Maybe the owner will split the package to drop that price .

I skipped over the LS70's being included somehow...that's what us elderly people do a lot of. :D

The bottom driver in your monitor 10s is just a cone / passive radiator.

All the speakers in the LS line are active and very impressive at that.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • edubb46
    edubb46 Posts: 17
    edited September 2021
    So, I own 2 pairs of 10Bs and 2 pairs of LS70s. I started with the 10s back in 90s and "discovered" the 70s in the 2000s. I consistently get positive feedback from "non-demanding" listeners, that they like sound of 10Bs. I'm on the same page and keep coming back to them. However...
    My overall preference is the LS 70s, based on overall sound and cabinet design/appearance. The 10Bs reek "vintage" and "loudspeaker", with their big wide body and space eating design. Now, that's not a "bad" thing, but it just doesn't complement room decor or the right "height" for my listening needs.

So, I probably like listening to the 10Bs more, and love looking at the drivers. I have a LOT of speakers that are in and out of rotation. However, the 10Bs are not, BUT I'm not selling them!
    edubb46
  • edubb46 wrote: »
    So, I own 2 pairs of 10Bs and 2 pairs of LS70s. I started with the 10s back in 90s and "discovered" the 70s in the 2000s. I consistently get positive feedback from "non-demanding" listeners, that they like sound of 10Bs. I'm on the same page and keep coming back to them. However...
    My overall preference is the LS 70s, based on overall sound and cabinet design/appearance. The 10Bs reek "vintage" and "loudspeaker", with their big wide body and space eating design. Now, that's not a "bad" thing, but it just doesn't complement room decor or the right "height" for my listening needs.

So, I probably like listening to the 10Bs more, and love looking at the drivers. I have a LOT of speakers that are in and out of rotation. However, the 10Bs are not, BUT I'm not selling them!

There is an easy and painless solution...

Get a pair of RTA11t's. Slightly better imaging and better deep bass, AND a narrow tall box like you want