Rare Peerless Tweeters?

Options

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,460
    Options
    So if you are convinced you have an ultra rare pair of Peerless tweeters because you've seen thousands and none of them have ever matched these, why come on this forum to get our approval?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,113
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    So if you are convinced you have an ultra rare pair of Peerless tweeters because you've seen thousands and none of them have ever matched these, why come on this forum to get our approval?

Indeed -- the OP should put 'em on eBAY & see what they fetch.
    Corollary question: Are there Peerless silk dome collectors?

I mean, I kind of collect EPI/Epicure/Genesis 'airspring' tweeters -- but not Peerlesses (well... unless they have loudspeakers wrapped around 'em).

15411126332_c768daf8dd_z.jpgEPIsprings by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,639
    Options
    He seen them on eBay. IF they were used on a Polk speaker it was before Polk started burning a hole in the dome. Of course those type of peerless tweeters were used by many manufacturers.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Is there really any rare peerless tweeters? He could have found the answer if he would have just spent a little time searching the forum.
  • Manfred_22
    Manfred_22 Posts: 32
    Options

Bruh I have no idea if they rare. That’s why I’m asking. Can you read?
  • Manfred_22
    Options
    Tell me where on the forum have you seen molding around the terminals like that?
  • Manfred_22
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    Is there really any rare peerless tweeters? He could have found the answer if he would have just spent a little time searching the forum.

Find me the exact same tweeters I posted somewhere in this forum
  • Manfred_22
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    He seen them on eBay. IF they were used on a Polk speaker it was before Polk started burning a hole in the dome. Of course those type of peerless tweeters were used by many manufacturers.
    Way to assume my gender…. I’m actually a girl thanks 🤦🏼
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    What speaker are you planning on using them in ?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Manfred_22 wrote: »
    M5

If yours came with a peerless then just do it. You're not buying the lost diamond from the titanic.
    You can always search it out. Polk modified their peerless by burning a hole in the dome, nothing says whatever manufacturer that bought those didn't do the same. It still doesn't make them rare afaik
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    @audioluvr ....dude not cool....remove that most
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,209
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Tell me where on the forum have you seen molding around the terminals like that?

013pdsovi6lf.png

I have seen these ones for sale on eBay. I did think what you refer to as "moulding around the terminals" looked odd myself. I believe someone or some manufacturer cut a thick gasket to fit tightly around the magnet with small holes for the terminals and when mounted it compressed the bejeezus out of everywhere except a tiny ring around the magnet and circles around the terminals.

Those Peerless were made in the 43rd week of 1979, by the date code. Probably made in Denmark because I don't believe any were being made in USA yet that early. They are very close in appearance and date to the ones in my 7B's, except they don't have the aperture tuning hole in the dome that Polk did, and the gaskets from Polk are a large elliptical cutout that goes around the outside of the terminals.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,864
    Options
    Stop feeding the low IQ troll.....geesh!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Manfred_22
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    M5

If yours came with a peerless then just do it. You're not buying the lost diamond from the titanic.
    You can always search it out. Polk modified their peerless by burning a hole in the dome, nothing says whatever manufacturer that bought those didn't do the same. It still doesn't make them rare afaik

Alrighty. I appreciate all the info and advice! I will consider everything you said. Very helpful!
  • Manfred_22
    Options

The title of the discussion you created "Rare Peerless Tweeter?" suggests you are asking for confirmation that is what these are. If you were simply wanting to know if they could be used as a factory replacement in your set of Monitor 5's you should have started the conversation with that. You were the one that started berating long standing members who simply didn't give you the answer you were hoping for.

I'm not trying to be an a-hole here. If I were I'd have posted something like this...

Were you born that way? Or is that just what you want everyone to think?

Ummm…….not very helpful, but go off I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Manfred_22
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Stop feeding the low IQ troll.....geesh!

😂 I can’t Believe you’re still on my thread
  • Manfred_22
    Options

013pdsovi6lf.png

I have seen these ones for sale on eBay. I did think what you refer to as "moulding around the terminals" looked odd myself. I believe someone or some manufacturer cut a thick gasket to fit tightly around the magnet with small holes for the terminals and when mounted it compressed the bejeezus out of everywhere except a tiny ring around the magnet and circles around the terminals.

Those Peerless were made in the 43rd week of 1979, by the date code. Probably made in Denmark because I don't believe any were being made in USA yet that early. They are very close in appearance and date to the ones in my 7B's, except they don't have the aperture tuning hole in the dome that Polk did, and the gaskets from Polk are a large elliptical cutout that goes around the outside of the terminals.

Very insightful. Do you have a picture of the ones from your 7s? It would be really cool to compare!
  • Manfred_22
    Options
    @F1nut just because Someone finally called you out on your behavior doesn’t make them a troll
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,460
    Options

The title of the discussion you created "Rare Peerless Tweeter?" suggests you are asking for confirmation that is what these are. If you were simply wanting to know if they could be used as a factory replacement in your set of Monitor 5's you should have started the conversation with that. You were the one that started berating long standing members who simply didn't give you the answer you were hoping for.

I'm not trying to be an a-hole here. If I were I'd have posted something like this...

See @txcoastal1, @Manfred_22 has a sense of humor! I say welcome to Club Polk... Oh crap, where's that drinking emoji.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Did his original question get answered? I lost track after the side-track comments.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2021
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Did his original question get answered? I lost track after the side-track comments.

Unclear. Not sure what the original question really was.
    Oh.
    Found this from a seller on eBay….. It’s listed as peerless, but I’ve never seen this type before. Erlier model maybe? Hoping someone with more knowledge could provide some clarification.

So... I'd say, as per @Gardenstater's post above, probably an OEM version -- although these were also sold "loose" for DIY use (and as part of driver kits for DIY use), so they could have been produced/modified for a specific use -- or hacked by a wild-eyed, caffeine-fueled hobbyist. :)
    It should be recalled that Peerless sold zillions of these to commerical loudspeaker manufacturers (US and European) and DIYers at least into the early 1990s (see old PartsExpress catalogs, e.g.).

E.g., here's an unusual OEM variant (relative to the 'standard' KO10DT) of the Peerless, as used by Acoustic Research in the early Teledyne era. This is an early AR14.

13425413725_fe65cb05ab_c.jpgoldAR14tweeter by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Manfred_22
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Oh.
    Found this from a seller on eBay….. It’s listed as peerless, but I’ve never seen this type before. Erlier model maybe? Hoping someone with more knowledge could provide some clarification.

So... I'd say, as per @Gardenstater's post above, probably an OEM version -- although these were also sold "loose" for DIY use (and as part of driver kits for DIY use), so they could have been produced/modified for a specific use -- or hacked by a wild-eyed, caffeine-fueled hobbyist. :)
    It should be recalled that Peerless sold zillions of these to commerical loudspeaker manufacturers (US and European) and DIYers at least into the early 1990s (see old PartsExpress catalogs, e.g.).

E.g., here's an unusual OEM variant (relative to the 'standard' KO10DT) of the Peerless, as used by Acoustic Research in the early Teledyne era. This is an early AR14.

NICE. That is one wacky cut out :D. Does it sound sweet?
  • Manfred_22
    Options

See @txcoastal1, @Manfred_22 has a sense of humor! I say welcome to Club Polk... Oh crap, where's that drinking emoji.

HAHAHAA THANKS LMAO
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Despite the AR14 being a very large 'bookshelf' two-way with a 10" woofer (?!) and a 1" tweeter (!?!), yes, it was/is a good sounding loudspeaker.

r9kka1s4ybs6.png
    source: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/add_series_1975-1978/add_series_brochures/ar-14_brochure/ar-14_brochure_pg2.html

The Peerless silk dome tweeter was widely used: besides Polk & AR, e.g., Cizek, bang & olufsen, and KLH used them in various models starting in the early 1970s. There were other loudspeaker manufacturers that used them, but they're escaping my recollection at the moment.

• BindingPoster
    Options
    Fellow Polk Forum members,
    We are all audio enthusiasts. We share an interest which makes most of the rest of the world look at us wondering what the fuss is all about. They cannot help with our questions. But to varying degrees, we all can. That's why this forum exists - so we can all help each other, and enjoy a discussion most of the rest of the world does not understand.

Plenty of posts are going to have compromised grammar, questions which have been answered many times before, inaccurate information etc. It's not against the law. Neither is accidentally having a potato fall from your plate and onto the floor at meal time. It happens. We can all live with it if make the effort.

As per Polk Audio Forum requirements, there are no posts which offer a license to hand in our Civilized Person Card just because a forum member is apparently not on our wavelength.
    If you take offense to a comment, it's wise to completely ignore the post than to risk either of these three things:
    1. Being seen in the same light as someone who cannot be civilized among fellow forum members.
    2. Having your posts removed from the discussion.
    3. Being banned from the forum.

The moderators here don't like to have to ban anybody. At the same time, the moderators have to keep a tidy house to make everyone feel they can enjoy the discussions.
    Any negative or offensive posts are not as potent as some might think. That poster doesn't know us. Not responding to negative posts can say a lot more about our character and integrity than taking their bait.

We only need to treat others the way we wish to be treated to feel we all belong here.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,141
    Options
    And you are the new mod, Bindingposter?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BindingPoster
    Options
    I do not have that title. I am just a regular forum member.
  • Manfred_22
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Oh.

So now I’m confused 😂. I thought the KO10DT was made in the 90s as a replacement for the original peerless tweeters made in the 80s and 70s. (HF1000) or something. Or is the KO10DT just another same for them? Or a totally different version
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    I tell the OP to spend a little more time searching the forum and the OP calls me offensive names. I see the mods removed that post.