RTI-A9 Crossover died... Anyone doing mods these days? :)

Options
Greets All!

I have enjoyed lurking these forums for quite some time! AHLOHTA great info!

Of course, I am out of warranty on my A9's.. this will be the 2nd round of XO replacements. Curious if anyone out there is doing any XO mods these days or if I need to whack at it myself? TBH, I am not even sure where to start! If anyone is doing this as a service - I would love to have a conversation about time/money! Otherwise a kick in the right direction to start picking it up on my own is appreciated!

Since this is the 2nd replacement go around - I really DONT want to go stock again. Nor do I feel like dumping thousands on some new speakers.... Thanks yall!

Cheers,

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    First you must ask yourself WHY are you toasting the crossovers?
    What is the gear you're running them with?
    Pictures of the crossover would help as well
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Shoot me an email vr3mods@gmail.com
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • austingsmith
    Options
    @pitdogg2 - I have no idea! The first time, it was all 3 of my amp'd speakers. I am running an Onkyo TX-NR717 (which powers the back 2 channels) and a XPA5 Gen2 for the front 3. I did just get thru a state-to-state move and I also like to CRANK it up loud. Music AND movies. I am in Info Tech. I pulled the xover and did a crude inspection - no caps appeared bowed, misshapen or any noticeable scorch marks. It was like that the first time tho as well! GRR!

@VR3 - lowkey was hoping you are still doing these - I looked you up the first go round and you were taking a break! Will email you here shortly!
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    OP: both speakers, all drivers DOA?

Pitdogg2 brings up a valid point. Can’t recall the details except a friend had similar issues to learn the AMP was the culprit.

Fortunately the friendly Polk community can guide you.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    @pitdogg2 - I have no idea! The first time, it was all 3 of my amp'd speakers. I am running an Onkyo TX-NR717 (which powers the back 2 channels) and a XPA5 Gen2 for the front 3. I did just get thru a state-to-state move and I also like to CRANK it up loud. Music AND movies. I am in Info Tech. I pulled the xover and did a crude inspection - no caps appeared bowed, misshapen or any noticeable scorch marks. It was like that the first time tho as well! GRR!

@VR3 - lowkey was hoping you are still doing these - I looked you up the first go round and you were taking a break! Will email you here shortly!

I would imagine your cranking too much on them. Rule of thumb, generally speaking, is anything past 11 0'clock on the volume dial is going to put you into "better pay attention" real estate.

You may also be better off with some PA style speakers if high volumes are more up your alley. They can handle the beating better than home speakers , maybe not sound as good, but ya won't blow them up like the RTI's.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Upgrading your crossovers to better or even TOTL components is not going to prevent you from blowing them too. You are either turning up the volume to the point your amp is clipping or your amp has got issues. I'm going with too much volume.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk