need help on choosing amp for 2 mm12

Options
polkman
polkman Posts: 3
edited September 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
im new with car audio, i just bought two mm2124's and was wondering what type of amp i should get for them. price range of $400 and under, i was looking at MTX's amp that puts out 300 RMS any input would be cool thanks
Post edited by polkman on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by exalted512
    http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=46&products_id=1139
    i like that one:)
    -Cody

I second this, you have room for upgrades with the 1000 watts, and its a solid amp for the price. Get it off ebay though, much cheaper.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    Options
    mmm... be extraordinarily careful with ebay... no warranty and no guarantee you're actually getting what they say you're getting. for example, i may be selling my old, dying HU on ebay soon... i'll list it as "like-new, with a minor noise problem on two channels"... sounds better than "looks like it's new but the front channels sound like a pile of shat and the others are due any day," but means the same thing.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    mmm... be extraordinarily careful with ebay... no warranty and no guarantee you're actually getting what they say you're getting. for example, i may be selling my old, dying HU on ebay soon... i'll list it as "like-new, with a minor noise problem on two channels"... sounds better than "looks like it's new but the front channels sound like a pile of shat and the others are due any day," but means the same thing.

That's why you buy from reputable compainies.......
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    Options
    precisely my point :D

and no, i'm not actually that mean, i think im just gonna take it apart for fun

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    someday im going to put up my old bd1000 for sale on ebay
    it dont work
    ill list it as a parts amp that doesnt work
    hopefully i can get a 100-125 out of it
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Im skeered to death of ordering online. Theyve got some great prices on some sites but all I will ever buy from and recommend from is SoundDomain and Crutchfield. They are the only two I trust.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    Options
    alpha car audio seems very solid; and speed sound is a real company, so they're probably good too

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    ive ordered from multiple places online and only had a problem with thezeb
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Yeah but you keep having things blow up! LOL

Thats what Im afraid of. Its not that I dont trust them to send me the product, its that Im afraid theyll send me a remanufactuered, or repaired or open box or whatever, anything but new from the factory. I trust SoundDomain and Crutchfield to be shipping me stuff straight from the manufactuer.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    every sub i blew up came directly from polk, minus the 2 that i got from crutchfield...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Options
    need I remind you of the countless RF amps that are now at the end of an anchor chain?!?! LOL :p

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    lol...
    but i said subs...
    amps on the other hand..
    i blew up my bd1000 which wasnt from an authorized dealer...it had a 1 yr warranty and was just a couple of months out of warranty, but that was my fault, i was running it too hard off of too low voltage a lot of the time
    not good for my amp, battery, alternator, or anything else related to my electrical system...
    ive smartened up since then, at least a little:)
    i have a new plan...
    2 1.5kw subs...
    that way itll be much louder than ill ever need it to be...and i wont have to overdrive anything to get it there:)
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Options
    That is smart thinking. If youre going to need 500 watts, get 750 so youll not only have some in reserve but you wont be working your gear too hard.

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    only problem with that is that if i HAVE 750 watts...im going to want to use it...lol
    but i have 3k watts, thats too loud, even for me, so ill always keep the volume down...well...thats the plan...lol
    im still thinking about not getting USAmps and just going with HiFonics amps...USAmps are better...but they have a pretty hefty price tag...
    i have such hard decisions in my life...haha
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Thats the same stuggle Im having right now. Do I go with the $300 set of MM6 or up a little more to the $360 Diamond Audio M6 or go all the way with the $430 Focal Polyglass? Well if I go with the Focals then Im not going to be happy with a MTX and Ill have to get a high end amp to match. Probably the Orion 4002 which is $450 instead of the $300 MTX.

Then I wonder if I would even notice that much of a difference between a Focal/Orion combo when compared to a Momo/MTX system?

Oh and dont forget me being leary of putting high dollar gear in my truck which can be stolen, wrecked, blown up ect.

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    personally, id get the polyglas...
    you could always get HiFonics amps instead of the Orion...theyd be a lot cheaper and theyre no POS amps...
    i really am considering getting 3 of these amps, one for each brahma and one for my 3-way comps up front...
    they look a hell of a lot better than USAmps
    lol
    im not sure yet, but i have a while to decide...before i get any amps i have to get a new truck, then a new alternator...
    comp speakers arent stolen that much...
    things that get stolen are more like subwoofers in the box and head units
    but i would advise getting some type of alarm
    if you think alarms are annoying(and they can be) just get one that goes off when your doors open without the clicker
    make sure you get that little red light in the dash thats highly visible to the outside and get some "Proctected by Viper" stickers to put on your window...no one will ever know your alarm was a Wal-Mart special:D
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Yeah, Im leaning real heavy towards the Polyglass. Ive been in a lot of sound rooms between Tennessee and Texas and the Polyglass 6.5s are the only speaker I ever heard that made my jaw drop as soon as it was played and the intro from "AS I Am" came rumbling thru it.

I just like Orion amps. Theyve been known for years as freakin' powerhouses and Im a big astronomy buff and Orion is my favorite constellation cause its awe inspiring and it has the biggest known star in it as well, Betleguese....if anybody cares :cool:

So I would sleep a lot better knowing I had Focal Polyglass and Orion amps nestled in my beloved Dodge.

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    i say go for it....:D
    -Cody
  • cpmzx3
    cpmzx3 Posts: 9
    edited August 2004
    Options
    This is what I am concidering for my 2 2124's....

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PHOX6001
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    2 Polk Audio MM2124's

More to come...
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Phoenix Gold is always an excellent choice. However, Id prefer this MTX Thunder801D for $50 less. This will be a lot more powerful and be right at the Momos rated power of 400.

• Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited August 2004
    Options
    personally, id get the polyglas...
    you could always get HiFonics amps instead of the Orion...theyd be a lot cheaper and theyre no POS amps...
    i really am considering getting 3 of these amps, one for each brahma and one for my 3-way comps up front...
    they look a hell of a lot better than USAmps
    lol
    -Cody

sigh.... poor misguided child....

:p

US man... US....
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    Options
    my only problem with USAmps is their horrible inefficiency...
    -Cody
  • Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    Options
    that's why you get an alt from ohio generator and get 2 batts....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:p
    ;)

heck, to me it's worth the hassle

• exalted512
    edited September 2004
    Options
    i have 2 batteries and i plan on getting another alternator
    but the usa3000 has an amp rating of 450 amps
    the usa1000x has an amp rating of 135 amps
    plus ill be running 4 or so high watt off roading lights
    so i need a BIG **** alternator...
    im not sure if they make them...i could do a dual alternator set up though...
    -Cody
  • Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    Options
    i could do a dual alternator set up though...
    -Cody

my thoughts exactly :D

• exalted512
    edited September 2004
    Options
    i dont want to take away anymore horsepower than i have to though...
    -Cody
  • Joelsbass
    edited September 2004
    Options
    that's why they make superchargers my friend :D