Help finding an amp for Sda Srs 1.2

Options
Hello everyone, so it's looking likely that I will be picking up a set of 1.2 tl's in the near future. My sda 1c's just haven't been enough for what I want. I don't have a ton of extra money to spend on an amp, probably about $1000. I am located in Indiana between Indianapolis and Fort Wayne. I don't mind a couple hour drive to pick an amp up, but don't want to go much further than that. I often play my system louder than I probably should, so I am pretty sure I should find an amp that is up around that 1000wpc that's recommended. I don't care if the amp is new or used, just haven't seen anything used or new in the places I've looked so far that really seems to fit the bill. Any help or guidance you all can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    A 1000wpc amp in your price range means a pro amp and you don't want one of those.

For every 3dB increase in volume it takes twice the power. So, for a 90dB @ 1 watt efficient speaker such as the Polks in question to obtain a very loud 107dB would take 64 watts, to obtain a hearing damage level of 110dB would take 132 watts and to cause permanent hearing damage at 119dB would take 1056 watts.

Quality over quantity wins the day, every day and twice on Sunday.

What are you using for an amp right now?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• blownaway
    blownaway Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you for your response f1nut. I definitely hoped to hear from you specifically.

I went cheap with a crown xls 1502 for the 1c's(I know, not a good amp for these, just wanted to see if I liked the sda experience enough to keep them on a heavy budget at the time). I definitely am bad about loud volumes, I know it's unhealthy for me... but to give an idea, I'm also into car audio spl competition sort of stuff and have a truck that can hit upper 130's, low 140's. I'm not looking to have a home speaker that fits that sort of bill, just a bit more fullness(all the time) and volume(on the occasions that I turn it up) than what the 1c's can provide me now.

What would a good, recommended amp run that would get up around that 750-1000wpc run? What would I be able to reasonably obtain with my current budget? The most I could stretch my current amp budget to would be about $2000, but don't want to push my budget that far at this time.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    :s
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    Options
    You didn't hear a word I said.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Might as well just stick with the Crown.
  • blownaway
    Options
    I do apologize for my message coming across in probably the wrong light. I honestly listen to my home system most of the time in the 90 some dB range. It creeps up into the low to mid 100's at times. Unfortunately, there are times that I want to go slightly further. I've always been a big proponent of having extra headroom, and I guess that's where my hopes to get a high power amp stem from.

I know that most measurements for dB in the car audio world are at 1 watt per 1 meter, is it the same for the way the vintage polks were originally rated?

I know I'm pretty limited by my budget, and staying within those constraints is a good thing for my hearing. I'm just hoping to find what I can get in a quality amp for what I can purchase at this time, with the massive amount of insight and knowledge everyone on this forum has to offer. I don't want to short change or hurt what the top of the line, and rare sda's, have to offer, even if it means reeling in my temptations to turn it up.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Fair enough :)

It might work better for all if you picked some home stereo amps that fit your budget and post them here. We can then offer our opinions.

President of Club Polk

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    It sounds like a Proton d1200 may be a good fit for you. It comes in at or under your budget; has insane amounts of power and I can attest to it driving 1.2tls very well.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    WHAT!?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    If you bought a quality amp you might not need to listen at high spl's. I had an adcom powering my sda2a's and I always needed to play it loud, when I got a better amp it was great at lower volumes as well.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I'll put in my .02 cents and give you a specific recommendation that's well within your budget and will be/is more than capable with any SDA. Parasound HCA-1500A. Can be had for ~$400. They're getting up in age but if you have a competent tech that can do a cap refresh at reasonable price it's a no brainer amp. Currently running a set of 3.1tl's with one (another in reserve) but have used 1500A's on 1C's, CRS's, 2B's, 1.2tl's, L-200 and the LSiM series (plus many other monitors).

To F1 and other's point...quality, quality, quality over quantity. Forget the uber watt amps and search for something in the 200-300 watt range and you're set. I'd be very surprised if anyone disagrees with this as a general reference point.

Will also add...I started out with an Emotiva XPA-2 about 10 years ago (new) and found it quite capable. I tend to disagree with some of the Emotiva dislike...I never found it a bad amp and quite enjoyed it. I did move on to "other league" gear but never regretted owning it.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • blownaway
    Options
    Is there any place online that does audio equipment specific listings(like a Craigslist, or a bring a trailer, etc.), that I would be able to take a look through besides us audio mart? Besides audio mart, craigslist, and checking with shops, maybe FB marketplace,, I have no idea how would be a good way to find used equipment.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Audiogon, Hifishark, The Music Room

President of Club Polk

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Options
    Used Belles 350a or possibly 350 reference should provide a good match
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Latest generation Parasound in the lineage of the 1500A is on sale through Musicdirect @ a really good price. Regularly $1395, on sale for $999:5wz1bw5q1w22.png
    https://www.musicdirect.com/power-amp/Parasound-NewClassic-2250-v2-Two-Channel-Power-Amplifier?sc_src=email_2333533&sc_lid=130833566&sc_uid=QIIxpsp4LG&sc_llid=53631&utm_source=Emarsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=musicdirect+soundbytes+issue+#998_6_07-10-21sc_eh=0860fe8ee87102da1

Biggest significant differences at a glance are the current capacity...2250 vs 1500A is 45 and 60 amps, respectively...with the 2250 rated at 315 vs 205 watts @ 8 ohms. Regardless, just under your $ cap and should still be a nice match. Both amps will be stable to 4 and dips of 2 ohms. No firsthand experience with the 2250 but based on my 1500 and the shared love for Parasound w/SDA from many members on this forum, I'd wager it's a contender.

CP, anyone w/firsthand experience w/both amps????

There are better amps on the used market for under a grand but this would get you new along w/Musicdirect's return policy if it didn't live up to your expectations. Also, as suggested earlier, The Music Room is a safe bet for used and, don't remember seeing before, they're offering "Certified Pre Owned"....so assume they've done more than kick the tires when they bring in used gear. https://tmraudio.com/components/power-amplifiers/

***Edit to add: Musicdirect is known to negotiate prices. It's free to ask and all they can say is no.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    Take a look at this:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649757875-liberty-audio-b2b-amplifier/

Seems like a smoking deal to me. Liberty makes quality gear.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • Inscrutabl0915
    Options
    Sold my Parasound 1500 … worked well, but preferred my Plinius 8200 integrated. OP, you might find one not too much over your $1000 budget (or a 1500 quite a bit less). Think both are better than the unnecessary gigawatt notions. There is a tipping point with quality vs quantity, even for power loving speakers.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    I have used vintage Perreaux amps with both my 1Cs and 1.2tls. In my opinion Perreaux amps produce a great sound that fits somewhere between the solid state sound and tube sound.

My Perreaux PMF 2350 delivers 200 wpm into 8 ohms, and I used it for years with my 1Cs till I got the itch to upgrade. I purchased this amp from a Perreaux and Polk dealer in Mountain View, California, in 1989 and still own the speakers and amp.

I've been using my PMF 3150 with my 1Cs for a few years now, and it produces an even better sound. (My wife even likes it.) I used this amp with the 1.2tls till I upgraded to current-model Perreaux Prisma 750 monoblocks, followed by a CAT MBX 600.2 that I purchased from a member of this forum and am still using.

While I do not listen to music in the spl range you're looking for, I can get to 70 dbs with either of these amps on either set of speakers without cranking the volume to anything more than 30% of maximum volume on the various preamps I've used.

On eBay now, there is one PMF 2350 for sale and a (for parts only) PMF 3150. Perreaux is much more popular and well known outside the US, and Perreaux equipment often shows up on other used audio sites. The Canadian sites are sometimes good sources.

Given your listening preferences, the PMF 3150 would seem to be a great fit, if you can find one in good condition at your price.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.