Vintage SS McIntosh Gear

Options
jdjohn
jdjohn Posts: 3,004
edited July 2021 in Electronics
There is an estate sale literally down-the-street from me tomorrow, and it has some vintage McIntosh SS electronics and speakers...not to mention what looks like a Salamander rack.
0bx2tmix7jej.jpg
wb9j3wzeo4cy.jpg
I think this equipment is one-owner, and obviously very clean. Prices have not been set yet, but of course I can't help but walk down there and check it out.

How good is this stuff, and what would you pay? I doubt any of it will displace my current gear, but how can I resist?

I think it's a C-28 preamp, MR-74 tuner, and MC-2105 power amp.
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,606
    Options
    Dat Onkyo disc spinner tho
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    Well it sure looks nice.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    It is right purdy, fer sher. Just wondering if the lure of vintage SS Mac gear is worth the price of admission. I know their vintage tube gear is worth its weight in gold, but not sure about their solid state stuff (SSS).
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I would like it as a set vs per piece ...
    And if a close family member was there, I'm sure they would agree
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • jdjohn
    Options
    They have engaged an estate sale company to handle the sale (lots of artwork and other high-dollar stuff), and expressly stated that friends/family are NOT allowed to attend the sale.

But yeah, my offer would be for the whole lot, with perhaps the speakers being an add-on...not worth as much as the rest of the gear.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Agreed, as a set would be the rack equipment

Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• jdjohn
    Options
    Sale/admission starts at 9AM, so luckily I can stumble over there easily, and see how things go...
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Around $3500 for the set??

• jdjohn
    edited July 2021
    Options
    That may be a fair price, but more generous than I'm willing to offer...given my current situation/wants/needs. Stay tuned!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,040
    Options
    I'm with Drew, only go for it if they include the CD player

Gear looks super clean though, most likely will need some maintenance
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    You got to be kidding me...no indication of DSD/SACD playback. 1 bit, yes, but not up in the GHz range.
  • Clipdat
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Don't knock it till you try it, that Onkyo is a sleeper. :p
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Inspect the chrome for pitting and make sure the lettering on the front is intact. These are known issues on the first generation McIntosh SS components.

Some say these first gens don’t sound as nice as the tube components or newer autoformer SS.

But one thing is for sure. They hold their value and many folks will chase them.

Good luck.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tratliff
    Options
    And I’ll be happy to take that tuner off your hands if you get it!
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    A few things to keep in mind......the volume pot on the c28 is known to be problematic and requires either cleaning every few months or better yet a replacement. The ML1C's will more than likely need refoaming and will benefit greatly from recapping. If the tweeters are open that could be a problem sourcing new ones as they're 50 years old. They also require a MQ101 to sound their best and even with that they fall far short of more modern speakers. The plastic pieces that hold the grills on more than likely have a few that are snapped off and are impossible to find the originals. The MR74 will probably need servicing as well. My 74 is sitting at Audio Classics currently awaiting pickup with a $600 charge for alignment and a few minor issues. I have no experience with the 2105 but I do believe I see some pitting around the headphone jack. Other than that the gear appears to well taken care of and the woodcases are a plus. My guess is they'll go quickly for stupid money to a Mac collector.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    Options
    The C28 here is a mediocre sounding preamp at best. The MC-2100 autoformer coupled ss amp (same innards as an MC-2105) sounds terrible - steely and grainy.
    Mac is not noted for their loudspeakers.
    The tuner's nice, though.

All of that stuff is very flippable, though.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    The sellers made the decision very easy for me :o They're using a professional estate sale company, so the prices are full 'retail'. Pre-amp is $1,255, tuner $655, power amp $1,675. Oh, speakers are $300, and the sweet Onkyo CDP is $55 B) Salamander rack is $299, which is actually not toooo bad. Everything is pristine.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Well I was close, $3585 for the set

• mhardy6647
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I'd buy the tuner for that if it is working -- I paid almost as much for my MR-67 (which, admittedly, was rehabbed by 'the pros').
    You could buy about 6 much better preamps than the C28 for that price. The early Mac ss preamps (C-24, 26, 28) are, sadly, pretty dreadful. :(

Power amp price is OK, especially if you're just gonna look at the blue lights and use a better sounding amp hidden behind it.

:)

Get the Onkyo!
  • jdjohn
    Options
    It will be interesting to see how things go as the sale progresses. It's a 3-day sale, so too early for them to start marking things down yet. I doubt I would keep any of it, anyway. I have a MAC-1700 receiver from my dad's collection that scratches the McIntosh itch well enough for me.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The MAC-1700... is a good place to be.
    Danged good place to be, Mac-wise. :)
    (IMO, of course)
  • jdjohn
    edited July 2021
    Options
    It is a sweet-sounding receiver, with a tube-stage for the tuner. Phonostage sounds sweet as well, but no tubes :/

Regarding the estate sale, today everything is 40% off. Those 'in-the-know' (not me) were there bright-and-early, and apparently one of the estate sale company's 'regulars' snatched-up the electronics first thing - except for the Onkyo CDP (must have been an oversight on his part).

I did get the Salamander rack, though, for $180. I'm pretty happy with that.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    one of the estate sale company's 'regulars' snatched-up the electronics first thing - except for the Onkyo CDP (must have been an oversight on his part).

Hahah!
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Glad you were able to grab a piece

All you can do is vulture around, every once in awhile you get the grab

Was fun working with you on it, had my fingers crossed that someone would drop the ball

I know Todd would have been golden on grabbing that tuner if helped you out...

Keep that eye out guys!!! Maybe next time

• tratliff
    Options
    The vintage McIntosh is allusive. Might be for the best if you were not looking to keep it. That’s awesome you got the rack.

I still love the looks and history of that tuner…. But not like I need another!
  • jdjohn
    Options
    The biggest crime, perhaps, was that I couldn't turn everything on, and listen to the sound of local FM playback, if nothing else. Thanks to @mhardy6647 for helping me temper unnecessary enthusiasm for these pieces.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Well, there are lots of folks that feel differently than do I about them (especially the MC-2100, MC-2105, and MC-250). I can just say that I've heard at least one of each, some of them restored and (truth be told) some "as is", and they all sounded harsh, grainy, thin and irritating to me (i.e., they all sounded more the same than different, irrespective of having been rehabbed or not).

I have zero tolerance for harshness from components nor loudspeakers. :#

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of Macintosh.....not saying it's bad but other than they LOOK cool, I've just not seen the attraction....but vintage Mac does go for stupid cash though.

Estate sale operators can be brutal if you get wind of a good deal. Here in town....one wanted 600 bucks for a pair of cosmetically challenged Bozak Symphonies which isn't bad if the cabinets didn't have such bad water damage. Worse, the guy who bought them is trying to peddle them for 1400 on usaudiomart....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut