I finished my sound dampening today

swerve
swerve Posts: 1,862
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
First lemme state - it's really hot out and humid enough to kill someone, and I'm outside on the pavement putting sticky silver crap on my trunk lid.

Well the damplifier from second skin started to fall off after I prepped thoroughly with paint thinner, razor blades, scrapers, yada yada ya. So I e-mail ANT and tell him; he says he is sending my 3x 3 SQ FT sheets of STFU-80. I let this sit beside my desk for nearly 3 weeks before I got outside today and installed it.

I'm happy with it so far, it seems to stick to the lid better, but it doesn't form around curves as easily as the damplifier did. The silver cracked in a few places but that's about it. Now I'm going to have my neighbor help me put carpet over it (he is a carpet layer) so you can't see all the shiny bling blingin dampening.

12 more days till I order my HiFonics 1500D. Then I have to rewire, carpet my box and put in my cap. Time to go back outside and wash my car. :mad: :mad: :mad: That's my least favorite thing to do.

-adam

and for the record.... my signature is not my phone number so don't call it. Well you can but I'm not held liable for your phone bill.
cats.vans.bag...
Post edited by swerve on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    why dont you wire the stuff before you put the carpet back in?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • swerve
    edited June 2004
    it's a list of things to do, really in no particular order. But you saying wire my car before I carpet the box? Only other thing I'm going to carpet is my trunk lid...
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    lol...i misunderstood, or rather, i didnt read it carefully...i thought you took the carpet out of the car to put the SS in, I was wondering why it mattered your neighbor layed carpet...lol
    sorry, i had a *JL* moment
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited June 2004
    lol @ JL moment, yea i meant my neighbor will help me carpet the roof of my trunk, i might hang some pretties in there like pimp my ride does..

or not

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    JL Moment? Kind of like youd be stupid not to use JL?

Kind of like JL is so awe inspiring that it makes you not think clearly?

;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    JL Moment? Kind of like youd be stupid not to use JL?

Kind of like JL is so awe inspiring that it makes you not think clearly?

;)
    no:) more like a 'i would buy JL moment', another words, a blonde moment
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    no:) more like a 'i would buy JL moment', another words, a blonde moment
    -Cody
    you 2 should just dedicate one thread to this instead of taking over mine! eventhough nobody gives a crap about my sound deadening!

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    this thread was about sound deadening?:confused:
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited June 2004
    it was more of me rambling on of what i need to do. i wasn't happy with the plyability of the STFU-80 at all.... I was pretty pissed actually. Maybe I'm just stupid and did something wrong, but I prepped the areas I had to re-applicate again.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    its pretty thick stuff, the humidity might have actually worked against you a little bit, im not sure, but maybe
    whether or not it says you need it, you should always use a heat gun--it becomes much easier to deal with
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited June 2004
    all in all, it worked so I guess I can't complain... not like anyone is going to hassle me about it seems to how I never open my trunk for anyone to see.... and you can hardly even notice.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • swerve
    edited June 2004
    Cody, my 2x 2124's will be fine w/ the 1500D right, I see you reccomended someone the 1000D. Am I missing something here? I'm going to do the price match thing again @ sounddomain, hopefully it works.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    yeah, ones 700 watts, the 1500 is 900 watts, just keep the gain down a lil
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited June 2004
    just making sure before i did anything stupid. these next few weeks are going to seem like an eternity because I've been wanting this for awhile now....

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by swerve
    you 2 should just dedicate one thread to this instead of taking over mine! eventhough nobody gives a crap about my sound deadening!

-adam

LOLOLOL!!!! Yeah, we're like brothers fighting over some chick. "She looked at me first!"...."No she was looking at me!"

As far as getting back on topic, I wouldnt think you did something wrong. The little experience Ive had with dampening is that its pretty straight forward to put on.

Maybe you should run down to Circuit City and pick up one of their Tsunami Speaker Kits for $15. Its a pair of 12"x12" sheets of vibe damening. You could stick a little of it on there and see if you like it better. If so you should go with their stuff, if not, no big loss.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited June 2004
    "Which one do you want, the blond or the brunette?"
    "I've always had a thing for blondes..."
    "Good, cause I'll take anything!"

-paraphrase from Starsky and Hutch
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • swerve
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    LOLOLOL!!!! Yeah, we're like brothers fighting over some chick. "She looked at me first!"...."No she was looking at me!"

As far as getting back on topic, I wouldnt think you did something wrong. The little experience Ive had with dampening is that its pretty straight forward to put on.

Maybe you should run down to Circuit City and pick up one of their Tsunami Speaker Kits for $15. Its a pair of 12"x12" sheets of vibe damening. You could stick a little of it on there and see if you like it better. If so you should go with their stuff, if not, no big loss.
    it's only 1 spot and it looks fine. It's all good, if this spot where the silver part cracked messes up I still have about 10 Sq feet of damplifier and 3 SQ feet of STFU-80 left. So it's nothing I can't fix. Later

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    when i get my new truck im going to be spending a lot of money in deadener...i plan on taking everything out aside from the dash and headliner and put a small coat of liquid deadener, then STFU-80 all the way around...im still contemplating about doing the headliner...
    i cant wait til i get to do my sound deadening:rolleyes:
    nothing in my current truck has been sound deadened except for some cheap crap behind the 6.5s...i dont have many rattles, in fact, the only rattles i have is the passenger side panel in the extended cab part and i can barely hear it...doesnt help that a quarter of the clips on that panel are broken...
    hopefully, aside from the back seat and the front doors, i will only have to take the panels off and take the carpet up on the new truck once...hopefully
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    If you buy a brand spanking new truck them I believe that dampening is mainly to reduce vibrations. These rigs nowadays are very quiet as is mine. I am a big believer in dampening the **** out of the doors, panels and skins, to keep virations and rattles to a minimum. Anything else is icing on the cake. I doubt Ill ever have the desire to remove seats, headliner and certainly not the dash!!

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    not brand new, but 2002...still pretty dang new
    sound deadening everything helps a lot with the acoustics of your vehicle and can actually increase your SPL 2-3 Dbs
    ive removed my seats many times...5 or 6 at least...well the front seats anyway...the back seat has come out about 50 times...literally, i had it out yesterday and today as a matter of fact, i dont even bolt it down...
    its not bolted to the floor, it sits on a square piece of metal sticking out of the panels and the seat itself has 3/4 of a square and fits on top...it doesnt slide anywhere so its not like a problem...hell i have trouble taking the damn thing out sometimes...lol
    the dash is staying intact though...for the most part...unless it rattles
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited June 2004
    ANT is having some updates done and he sent out an email. Dunno if any of you got this but I'm just lookin out for you. I guess some shops are going to start carrying SS too.
    heres the link to preorder:
    http://www.secondskinaudio.com/specialpricing.html
    cats.vans.bag...