2.3tl build!

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,020
Csa, mundorf resistors, Jantzen inductors

zllq69asu15s.jpg
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited June 2021
    Options
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Walnut substrate?
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • VR3
    Options
    It is a type of rosewood, grenadillo
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
    Drew, lol
  • hytekrednek
    hytekrednek Posts: 125
    Options
    They look even nicer in person! I cant wait to get the time to install these beauties. Thanks for your work.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Options
    Nice work indeed!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • hytekrednek
    Options
    the wiring harnesses are also beautiful works of art
  • VR3
    Options
    Thank you!

I totally forgot to take pics of the terminal plates, wiring etc
  • hytekrednek
    Options
    nearly done. Just waiting to get the steel semi rings for the mid woofers.
    RDO 198's with custom billet plates
    Custom VR3 crossover "as pictured earlier in this thread" with all new internal wiring
    Dynamat on all MW and passives
    Larry's rings installed and glued in "full set minus the mid woofers. Mids will get steel semi rings to help stiffen the front baffle
    These wnet from pretty good sounding with the stock crossover, to AMAZING sounding after these upgrades. I cant wait to hear them after I get the semi rings installed. Hard to believe it can get any better.

Sorry for poor pics. I was busy with the install and I am not a good photographer.kjxs9331b3u7.jpg
    sz2litpn6ggq.jpg
    8jmrkb0k52wu.jpg
    o4e70clnljhx.jpg
    5dkjlg625zjt.jpg
    s9lesvpyyy7y.jpg
    yvnoh3c7g2aw.jpg
    tq4i58x2fpmd.jpg

• hytekrednek
    edited August 2021
    Options
    also epoxied all the mids magnets, and did a very thorough cleaning on cabinets and all drivers.
    Plan to replace the front grill cloth on them soon too. The sides are in great condition and dont justify the pain of doing them.
    Thanks so much to the 3 top shelf craftsmen that made this possible by making the crossover/wiring harnesses, and the billet tweeter plates and MW semi rings "getting soon", and the Larry's rings sets. I didnt use the rings for the MW drivers, waiting on steel semi rings for those.

Crossovers/wiring by VR3

Billet tweeter plates and MW semi-rings by XSCHOP

Larry's Backer rings by TOOLFORLIFEFAN
  • VR3
    Options
    Looks great!

I would get a strap to secure the wiring just so it is not vibrating around and stuff
  • hytekrednek
    Options
    will do the strap. Good thinking.
    Lots of money and lots of time... worth every cent and minute spent!!! The more I listen to it, the better it sounds.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Very nice. From experience...don't forget the tweeter and MW felts from Trey, too!
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • hytekrednek
    Options
    What are the "felts" for or what do they do? I am all for improvements!
  • JayCee
    edited August 2021
    Options
    What are the "felts" for or what do they do? I am all for improvements!
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/193729/anti-diffraction-rings-for-tweeters/p1
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,755
    Options
    olch0zrfoug7.jpg

Nice work!

Looking at this picture, is this how you have them setup? In the corner on an angle? Are they toed in also?
  • hytekrednek
    Options
    No, they were moved out and angled for me to work on. They are back to proper position now.
  • hytekrednek
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Also on the list... I need to get some flat head counter sunk screws for the mounting of the billet tweeter plates. Just used button heads as that is all I had on hand and could not find what I need locally. Will have to order them probably. USA made high quality screws are impossible to find locally.
    I do have some 8-32 security hex button heads I have considered swapping out for on the other drivers, but I hesitate because I do not know the quality level of these security hex screws and the ones I am using now are USA made high quality fasteners.
  • hytekrednek
    Options
    V3R Diffraction felts ordered for the 2.3tl's I cant wait to install and evaluate them. Based on others use of them, I expect a noticeable improvement.
  • hytekrednek
    Options
    FINALLY! The last 2 parts to my 2.3tl upgrade puzzle are in my possession! I got the V3R diffraction felts in, along with xschop's steel semi-rings for the mid woofers. Just have to find the time. The diffraction felts will be quickly done. The steel semi rings will take a while to do properly as there is lots of excess glue in the way that has to be removed.

Then... I will start saving up to upgrade my receiver. Not sure yet, but PS Audio has my attention. Liking their streaming receiver thingy, but dang it is pricey!
  • JayCee
    Options
    Way to go on the upgrades. You won't be disappointed when done.
    Then... I will start saving up to upgrade my receiver. Not sure yet, but PS Audio has my attention. Liking their streaming receiver thingy, but dang it is pricey!

Not sure what "streaming receiver thingy" you're talking about but I have a full PS Audio stack on my 1.2tl's (see my sig). Exceptional sound and zero regrets.
  • VR3
    edited April 3
    Options
    Seriously can't believe this was 3 years ago... Lol

Dreadnought for Shaun!

h2kaqe4ifpx7.jpg
    3syjj07tebmh.jpg
    kuy1x1yw22fv.jpg
    aavw2q5nnn7p.jpg
    hvcr6gg7mbw3.jpg