Help with Monitor 12s passive radiators

Options
j07ceyp5v00g.jpg

Hi all, new to the forum but not to Polk Audio.

Have had my M12s which I bought new in the early 90s. The reason I'm writing is because my 4 year old son destroyed the 12" PR a while back and I had to replace them. However, I couldn't find the originals anywhere at the time and replaced them with a mint set of flat and not coned 12" Polk Audio passive radiators from similar speakers of the time. See pics attached.

Let me cut to the chase with my questions because I am by no means an expert:

1) Have I compromised the sound? If so, how and why?
2) Do Polk sell vintage parts?

thanks!

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,508
    Options
    Hello, welcome to the Polk forum. Nice clean setup and good photo. Any changes would be in the bass performance of the speakers. Are you able to make any frequency response measurements?
    I don't believe Polk has any of the older radiators still available.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,186
    Options
    Photo of the original equip. radiator vs the replacement from behind would be interesting. I am told they tuned them by adding different amounts of weight to the spider/cone assembly.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Zosimo
    Zosimo Posts: 13
    Options
    Photo of the original equip. radiator vs the replacement from behind would be interesting. I am told they tuned them by adding different amounts of weight to the spider/cone assembly.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I don't have the originals anymore as I replaced them a while back , but here are photos of the back of the current PRs. They should be from SDAs if I'm not mistaken.
    lo8o7os2hd3z.jpg
    lyblsnxecnrq.jpg
  • Zosimo
    Options
    Hello, welcome to the Polk forum. Nice clean setup and good photo. Any changes would be in the bass performance of the speakers. Are you able to make any frequency response measurements?
    I don't believe Polk has any of the older radiators still available.

Thanks. No, can't make any accurate measurements if not from a questionable app from my mobile phone. I really haven't properly used them for a long long time and I have now started to use them again as my main speakers, so I can't make any direct comparisons if not from memory, but I seem to remember them being more bass heavy while now the bass is tighter and less prolonged. Again, this is simply from memory though.

In a way, I actually prefer this sound a bit more these days as my musical tastes have also changed over the years.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Well thanks I had never seen one of these planar cone PRs from behind. What is the white material? Is it a rigid foamed plastic? Too bad you threw out the old ones. We'll never know now. I have heard it said that the Monitor 12s were a bit boomy. With luck you may have improved them! Do you remember what they looked like from behind? Was there a weight that looked like the head of a carriage bolt?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Zosimo
    Options
    Well thanks I had never seen one of these planar cone PRs from behind. What is the white material? Is it a rigid foamed plastic? Too bad you threw out the old ones. We'll never know now. I have heard it said that the Monitor 12s were a bit boomy. With luck you may have improved them! Do you remember what they looked like from behind? Was there a weight that looked like the head of a carriage bolt?

Indeed a shame a threw them away. Yes, it seems to be some kind of plastic foam and they are rather light given the size, but I can't remember either the weight of the previous ones or what they looked like from behind.

Re the boomy nature of the 12s, absolutely, they were bass heavy for sure and now that's gone completely, maybe even too much! Again, I really like the sound now, much more balanced. I wonder if anyone else on the forum has tried out this mod.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Zosimo wrote: »
    Re the boomy nature of the 12s, absolutely, they were bass heavy for sure and now that's gone completely, maybe even too much! Again, I really like the sound now, much more balanced. I wonder if anyone else on the forum has tried out this mod.

I believe the M12's and the SDA 3.1' s shared the same PR? The ones you installed should work, especially if you like the sound. You can silicone a steel washer or two on the back center to slow them down (lower the bass response).
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Zosimo
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    You can silicone a steel washer or two on the back center to slow them down (lower the bass response).

Thanks. Yes, have read about this technique elsewhere. So, the heavier I make it the deeper and extended the bass will sound? Does that mean the I'll be lowering the Hz response?You'll have to excuse my ignorance here.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited June 2021
    Options
    yes George the SDA passives (most anyways) were Styrofoam with either a soft front panel ( most bubbled badly) or a tuff plastic like material.

To the OP I certainly would not have thrown them away. Depending what was wrong with them we have some pretty incredible folks here who have salvaged many items, not to mention if you found a pair you would have a spare 1 just in case.

I'd start a search on ebay for both monitor 12 passive or SDA 3.1 Passive radiators. You never know some may pop up. I'm not sure you affected the speaker to terribly with the passives you have used. Even the 12" passives like you have had different weights and stock numbers. SW120 SW121. I've used both on some SDA's that came with one or the other SW120-SW121 and couldn't tell any difference myself.

Personally years back one of the Polk employees stated the reason the passives went to the cone type on the M12-SDA3.1 was they (originals) were no longer available from the supplier.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    Thanks. Yes, have read about this technique elsewhere. So, the heavier I make it the deeper and extended the bass will sound? Does that mean the I'll be lowering the Hz response?You'll have to excuse my ignorance here.

It lowers the range but affects the top end the most so for example if it is 30-400 Hz with no washer if would be like 25- 325 Hz with one washer. The actual range and spl levels vary greatly based on cabinet volume, number of/size/excursion/efficiency of drivers. Too little and they will sound flabby too much and you may cut out too much of the bottom registers.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    j07ceyp5v00g.jpg

Have had my M12s which I bought new in the early 90s. The reason I'm writing is because my 4 year old son destroyed the 12" PR a while back and I had to replace them. However, I couldn't find the originals anywhere at the time and replaced them with a mint set of flat and not coned 12" Polk Audio passive radiators from similar speakers of the time. See pics attached.

thanks!

Did you buy your Polk speakers in Italy?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Zosimo
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    j07ceyp5v00g.jpg

thanks!

Yes, I did. Brand new back in 92 or 93 I think. Why do you ask?
  • Zosimo
    Options

Hey, thanks for the info. Mine are SW121's, while as you say, I'm in need of SW122's.

The ones I have are truly in mint condition and I'm really enjoying the sound at the moment, so I'm going to hang on to these while I scout the internet for SW122's. If I find them great, otherwise happy with what I've got.

Everyone's been really helpful so far and I've got much more understanding now of the situation.
  • Zosimo
    Options
    j07ceyp5v00g.jpg

thanks!

They were such a rare and exotic brand at the time here in Italy and I was so fascinated by the closed cabinet setup. I remember seriously falling in love with them. I was just a teenager at the time and worked an entire summer just to purchase them. Fully intend to never part ways with them
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited June 2021
    Options
    j07ceyp5v00g.jpg

thanks!

They were such a rare and exotic brand at the time here in Italy and I was so fascinated by the closed cabinet setup. I remember seriously falling in love with them. I was just a teenager at the time and worked an entire summer just to purchase them. Fully intend to never part ways with them

I noted you were in Italy and knew they were an uncommon speaker there, so I was just curious if you purchased them there. Hats off to you for keeping them in such good condition.

If desired, you can experiment with tuning your current PR's by temporarily taping different size weights to the rear of the Styrofoam part. Don't use a tape with too strong of an adhesive as you could damage the Styrofoam. The various weights Polk used were not heavy, so no need to go crazy. Also, make sure the weight is centered.

Edit:
    If you haven't already, be sure to epoxy the magnets on your mid-drivers. Info on how to is posted on the forum.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    edited June 2021
    Options

Hey, thanks for the info. Mine are SW121's, while as you say, I'm in need of SW122's.

The ones I have are truly in mint condition and I'm really enjoying the sound at the moment, so I'm going to hang on to these while I scout the internet for SW122's. If I find them great, otherwise happy with what I've got.

Everyone's been really helpful so far and I've got much more understanding now of the situation.

Assuming of course that the Monitor 12 used the same Passive as the 3.1tl. I did some approx. calculations and the cabinet interior volume of the 3.1tl is about 42.5% bigger. Cabinet volume is definitely one of the factors that goes into determining the effective moving mass of the passive that is desired to achieve the desired resonant frequency. That's from some reading I did. Also, the thiele small parameters and number of midwoofer drivers factors in as well. What MW# do your Monitor 12s have? I know it is 4 stereo drivers vs. 4 MW6503 stereo and 1 MW6511 dimensional driver for the 3.1tl.

It looks like, all other factors remaining the same, if you decrease cabinet internal volume, you need more mass for the same target resonant frequency:

https://audiojudgement.com/passive-radiator-speaker-design/

75tluklie0uc.jpg

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to learn a little more here.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS