Giant Cruise Ships

BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
Has anyone been on a giant cruise ship? They look like they hold thousands of people. Do you have to stand in line for hours to get a meal? Does it take hours to get off at a port? Are the on board facilities overly crowded? Just based on their pictures they appear to be a big mess. However, many seem to love them.

77e2005ft22q.jpeg
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,022
    edited June 2021
    A couple of my friends used to go every year. They always enjoyed it - but they liked crowds. Things are scheduled so there aren't ever thousands waiting for the same thing. Food is available from dozens of places 24/7 - some scheduled, many not.

Lots of info here:
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?q=megaship&s= &ff=10703
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    I can only imagine what an emergency evacuation must be like, especially if the ship is listing seriously.

The "emergency evacuation" would probably have been caused by eating food infected with something from the petri dish.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    They always enjoyed it - but they liked crowds. Things are scheduled

^^^This.

My "cruise ship" experience was this...

ep54kahlhyul.jpg

which while different has some similarities.

Oriskany ship's company: 3500
    Modern cruise ship: 3000 - 6000.

Carrier pulls into port
    1000 sailors get off and FLOODS an area.
    Cruise ship pulls into port
    2000-4000+ tourists TSUNAMI an area.

Something to consider while cruising:. You are under Admiralty Law.
    Read up on that but ONE aspect is this:. You're limited to $75,000 in damages.
    Foreign crew decides to sacrifice your family to Molok, Lord of the Underworld , well that's a shame.
    Here's $75,000. Sorry
    (Yeah I know that's hyperbole but....)

Our Admin Secretary and her husband would cruise every other year. Her description of "SCHEDULEDED" activities would, for me, piss me off.
    I want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.

But if one can enjoy a cruise, sincerely, more power to you.

Here's a nice video describing the accomodations

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kAuhiv6zJZY
    Sal Palooza
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Never done a cruise, and not really interested, except for doing the inside passage. Preferably on something more medium or smaller-sized.
  • CGTIII
    I can only imagine what an emergency evacuation must be like, especially if the ship is listing seriously.

They're unsinkable though, right? :wink:

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    edited June 2021
    We also did the Alaska cruise with our kids as it was our last cruise taken together as a family, but not on a ship anywhere near the size of the big ships now. I agree, the scenery in Alaska is gorgeous and it was my favorite cruise of the cruises we have taken.

Not really a fan of the big ships like posted above.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    The band my brother is in does a music cruise every year. For the past few years it has been on the Harmony of the Seas
    ugqk0llo0lgh.png

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Displacement: Approximately 120,000 t (132,000 short tons)[9]

Crew: 2,300[12]
    Harmony of the Seas is an Oasis-class cruise ship built by STX France at the Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France,[citation needed] for Royal Caribbean International. With a gross tonnage of 226,963 GT,[2] she is the second largest passenger ship in the world, larger than her older sisters Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas, but surpassed by her newer sister Symphony of the Seas. In length, however, Harmony of the Seas is the longest cruise ship in the world.[16]

http://www.chicagomusiccruise.com/ship.html

The pictures do not do this thing justice.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited June 2021
    The one an only cruise I went on was during the Summer of 1983. I was 17 yrs old and on tour with a youth band, choir organization called Musical Youth International based out of Saline, MI. We flew from MI to Mexico City and toured and performed throughout the Eastern side of Mexico all the way down to the SE tip to Mérida.
    then flew to Nassau Bahamas,
    then flew to Freeport,
    then took a cruise to NY,
    then a bus ride to DC,
    and the bus back home to MI.

The ship from Freeport to NY was the Scandinavian Cruse Lines, Scandinavia that was only a year old at the time. It held about 2000 passengers and I had an absolute ball on the cruise! I tried to do everything that was offered rather it was a tour, entertainment, and the awesome food. The midnight buffet was unreal, and the fruit was the best tasting I'd ever had at that point in my life. One of the highlights was our concert band/orchestra , choir, and jazz band actually had an opportunity to perform. When not rehearsing or performing, we were free to roam. Many great memories from that Summer.

89c8c2mb11lq.jpg
    2x0ndgnrfn9u.jpg
    lx747tvt2osx.jpg
    9re2udbkok0t.jpg

I would love to take a Caribbean jazz, Alaskan cruise, etc. on one of the modern monster ships but the Mrs. is not a fan.... especially after COVID-19!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    The last one I went on was about 3 years ago. I decided it really wasn't for me. I was on vacation and it felt more like I was on a schedule then being at work. The food was rather good but to many people at the buffets and dinner had a scheduled time for the week. Everything seemed to be timed. I enjoyed it more late at night when most people were in their cabins and I could roam freely from bar to bar.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • CGTIII
    erniejade wrote: »
    The band my brother is in does a music cruise every year.
    http://www.chicagomusiccruise.com/ship.html

My friends have been on Harmony and Oasis. The Chicago music on this one is the most tempting thing for me to cruise. :*

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Basically the same as you rationalize going to a concert, ballgame, or the mall
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    anonymouse wrote: »
    How do you peeps rationalize the floating petri dish syndrome in your heads?

Prolly the same way you rationalized those old walking petri dishes you went swimming in with your swizzle stick..........

😁😂😁

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Basically the same as you rationalize going to a concert, ballgame, or the mall

True, but you aren’t at “a concert, ballgame, or the mall” for days or weeks at a time.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Been on multiple cruises, wife worked for a multifaceted web company that included travel. One of the perks was free vacations including cruises. They are not my bag, as I am a destination guy...but,

I have been on vacations, stayed in hotels, road around in cabs, ski gondolas, visited tourist sites, crowded bars, restaurants, festivals, disney world, hooked up before I was married etc....
    Kinda same scenario

The last few cruises my wife went on she took other family and/or friends as I was not interested.

My #1 rule always when cruising was a balcony cabin...never stayed in any other type.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a