Carver Plat MkIV initial thoughts....

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
So, I’ve had a solid few hours of listening now and thought I’d throw out some thoughts.....

First, the listening impressions that I have right now mirror very closely my experiences with listening to George Grands “The Truth”......obviously it’s been a number of years and the associated gear is differeant but it’s certainly the same flavor.

One reason is that these are, indeed, MKIV’s. Says so on the ID tag with a 1991 date code. Everyone says they have MkIV’s...when obviously it’s verifiably untrue. Anyway, point being is that the experience that I had with the original Amazing Loudspeaker is different than with the Plats.

Both the CAL and the Plats are capable of otherworldly dynamics and able to resolve layers of detail with ease. In the midrange to upper bass, pretty similar.

In the upper registers, the CAL lacked air and had a good deal of sibilance. The bass had great extension but was very one note-ish. It certainly lacked the detail of the midrange and just didn’t integrate as well.....but the biggest thing is I just never had (even with the Carver Silver 9t’s) amp to get them to really open up. The promise of greatness was there but just didn’t come to fruition. Now, I’m not saying they sounded terrible because it’s simply not the case but they did have shortcomings and were a different flavor from the MkIV’s

So, the Plats.....so far, much easier to drive. The MF A1008 is able to drive them with ease. The sense of effortlessness is palpable.....like it’s a big, honkin’ V8 cruising down the freeway barely above an idle. Dynamics, again, out the yang-yang. Midrange is delicate, transparent and the ability to resolve the nuances and details is simply astounding. The bass.....while I’d say that the CAL maybe had better extension, the tone and definition is VASTLY improved. Not to the tonal standard of the AR-9 or my AR-302’s and certainly not the definition of the Thiel 3.6’s....it is nonetheless respectable. The treble is VASTLY improved. Still a little fatiguing and lacking the ultimate air and delicacy of the Thiel’s.....but extension and delicacy is vastly improved.

Imaging is solid and stable. Increasing the tilt angle back a bit has really solidified the image and sound staging. The stage has excellent depth and three dimensional presentation. It’s easy to get a solid take on the hall charactaristics on classical recordings.....but the soundstage doesn’t project much beyond the lateral or front boundaries of the speakers. Again, I had the same impressions of this at George’s.

Anyway, so far so good. More to follow....

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Comments

• guyincognito
    guyincognito Posts: 128
    How about some pics?
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • TroyD
    0pdo86zotd9u.jpg
  • TroyD
    m5kekmoq3kn9.jpg
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Thank you! The cat and the booze adds a nice touch
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • TroyD
    edited May 2021
    xxv1lrgff6qn.jpeg

The cats dig HiFi....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I've heard a lot of good music in that room :)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    C'mon down, you can hear more.....I'm getting it dialed in pretty good, actually.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    F1nut wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of good music in that room :)

Must have been the booze 🤪
  • TroyD
    F1 is a Root Beer kinda guy...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    TroyD wrote: »
    F1 is a Root Beer kinda guy...

Yep I know
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    You can hear more if you clear out yo' schedule broskizzle!

Awe, chit son!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    @TroyD - wonder if you’re open to Dirac, or the like(?).

Do you have a way to analyze how much mid/treble roll-off you’re experiencing?

Cool speakers!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.