Hex Screw Removal

So I was trying to get the top of the preamp off. It had a few hexagon head screws on it. One of the screws was stripped to start with. How do I remove it? I have tried the rubber band trick, latex glove and few other, but so far no success. Any suggestions?

27d3yi1njk2j.jpg

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited April 2021
    If it is stripped socket but the screw isn't tight anymore, I'd super glue an alan key into it and remove it that way. If it is stripped and tight good luck! I'd say you could try the same or JBL Weld epoxy or the like, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. I usually have to grind a slot in them for a slotted screwdriver blade but that will definitely mess up the surrounding cabinet sheet metal.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    If it is stripped socket but the screw isn't tight anymore, I'd super glue an alan key into it and remove it that way. If it is stripped and tight good luck! I'd say you could try the same or JBL Weld epoxy or the like, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. I usually have to grind a slot in them for a slotted screwdriver blade but that will definitely mess up the surrounding cabinet sheet metal.

Yes the socket and stripped with the screw tight too. I just ordered micro screw extractor to see if that would help. It's gonna be a pain in the neck to get it out for sure.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    If the screw extractor doesn't work, tape the area off really well, and drill the head off. You might be able to extract the remaining screw down the bottom.

Be careful with the extractor so as not to snap it inside the screw head.

Also, if you have a large soldering gun or even just a soldering iron, try applying some heat to the screw head with some of Gardenstater's tips as long as there's no direct contact with plastic.
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Blowtorch...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    If it is metric try and find a standard size that you could lightly tap in and see if that would grip enough to loosen. Also maybe try a torx bit that could be tapped in and see if it would grab enough. Not sure how sensitive the electronics are so?
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Drill it out.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited April 2021
    F1nut wrote: »
    Drill it out.

+1 to that. Use a drill bit with 90 degree tip. Maybe even try one with a 60 degree tip, used mostly for plastics. That way you remove more from center than edges compared to a 118 or 135 degree tip. You are less likely to mess up the countersink in the cover that way.

An EDM disintegrator machine might be bad for the electronics...
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    If you do decide to drill it out use a left hand twist bit. If you're lucky it may save using an easy out and the possibility of breaking that off.
  • Gardenstater
    edited April 2021
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    If it is metric try and find a standard size that you could lightly tap in and see if that would grip enough to loosen. Also maybe try a torx bit that could be tapped in and see if it would grab enough. Not sure how sensitive the electronics are so?

LOL Beat me to it! After sleeping on it I was going to say to try a slightly oversized torx bit and tap it in. One could even make the splines sharper with a dremel fine cutoff wheel. Wouldn't hurt to tap it in with some JB Weld and let that cure a couple days. Then see what's what.

PS: If you happen to have some liquid nitrogen (it could happen) try freezing the torx bit first to shrink it lol.
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • jumpindick
    Thank you all for the ideas. This weekend will be fun as I go through it.. Idea about drilling makes most sense, but equally terrifying.
  • Gardenstater
    jumpindick wrote: »
    Thank you all for the ideas. This weekend will be fun as I go through it.. Idea about drilling makes most sense, but equally terrifying.

Well, if it were me I'd try the press fit oversized torx bit with a little epoxy first. You can always drill later if need be. Can't do it the other way around. Just sayin'.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • msg
    Carnage report?
    Did it escalate from measured approach with precision tools to bench vise, animal fat, and hedge trimmers?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Also what kind of preamp is it?
  • jumpindick
    msg wrote: »
    Carnage report?
    Did it escalate from measured approach with precision tools to bench vise, animal fat, and hedge trimmers?

Lol... I really wanted to use miter saw with 12" blade, a compound miter saw in particular. I got this awesome idea that I should slide the blade, while it is spinning, to create one deep notch on the screw head, and then use a flat head screwdriver to take it out :D . But then, fudge it... I don't want to damage my saw either. May be I have cursed hands that whatever I touch gets bad or damaged..... In all seriousness though, the preamp has gone back to the dealer who is going to take care of it. The issue is that the front display panel would be lit some times displaying the info, and not lit the other times. Function wise, the preamp is jut fine and works without any issues. We needed to run the firmware again to take care of it. So had to ship it out to the dealer.
  • msg
    edited May 2021
    Lol
    Ah, probably best. I probably wouldn't have had the patience for that until I removed all other screws and bent and twisted the cover off. And the screw would remain. Without a scratch on it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited May 2021
    msg wrote: »
    Lol
    Ah, probably best. I probably wouldn't have had the patience for that until I removed all other screws and bent and twisted the cover off. And the screw would remain. Without a scratch on it.

That's what I would do, too (FWIW). And I would use a bevy, nay, a fusillade of socially acceptable words whilst doing it, and probably for most of the remainder of that day.

8qhzr5nrgtwc.png

(it pays to keep a list of expletives handy for times like those)
  • guyincognito
    guyincognito Posts: 128
    Assuming this is already resolved but personally I would have used a dremel tool with a small abrasive disc to cut a notch in the top and remove with a flat head screw driver. Or maybe an angle grinder with a thin cut off wheel if you have balls of steel and steady hands. Taping the top off first is a given of course. I fabricate a lot at work and drilling out machined threads is my last resort.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited June 2021
    Needle nose vise grips. Although I have also used the method above with success.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant