Options
I have 2 media servers on my PC:
• Media Monkey 5 and
• Windows Media Player
I have 3 rendering devices:
• An Integra DTR30.3 AV Receiver,
• An Oppo UDP 203 and
• A Cambridge Audio 851N
When using Windows Media Player as a server, I can setup a list of songs to play and:
• the DTR 30.3 will play the list of songs
• the UPD 203 will play the list of songs
the 851N only plays the first song
When using Media Monkey 5 as a server, I can setup a list of songs to play and:
• the DTR 30.3 will play the list of songs
• the UPD 203 will play the list of songs
the 851N only plays the first song
Can anyone:
• Explain why the 851N only plays the 1st song or,
• Explain to me how I can configure things so the 851N will play a list of songs that I cast to it or,
• Confirm that their 851N will play a list of song casted from any version of Media Monkey or,
• Let me know of a music server that will allow the 851N to play a list of songs casted to it.

Everything is hard wired on the network.
HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Not sure about the servers you are using. Have you contacted CA? They are very good (albeit slow) about getting out appropriate responses.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    Options
    Yes, I'm communicating with them, but like you said it's slow, and I'm nearing the end of the 60 day return policy. Right now I don't know if it is a product defect or something the unit isn't capable of doing. I'm thinking it defective, but I'm hoping it's a configuration issues.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    I saw no mention of the Cambridge apps to get the job done?? I had an 851N and the apps were never the issue in my time with the 2 units I owned ! The sound quality didn’t do it for me but performance was wonderful! Just download the correct apps and let it do its thing! Are you using it to listen to your own files ( highly recommended) or pumping pay services (least desired) ?? I can only recall and speak on using that model to listen to my own files ! Hope that helps and lots of guys here have this unit! It’s a great entry level streamer for sure !
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    How old is this unit? When's the last time it was updated? Try doing a factory reset. I've had to do this twice on mine to get the latest latest updates. Kind of a PITA but gets the job done.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Easy Runnin
    Options

I saw no mention of the Cambridge apps to get the job done??

The app has been kinda wonky. According to CA there is an iOS issue related to Apple's latest update. Regardless, I believe what I'm trying to accomplish should be doable with out using the App. I want to use my PC to pick and choose the songs in my database and create a playlist on the fly and have the 851N play ALL of the songs, not just the first one. It seems really odd to me that the DTR 30.3 and UDP 203 can do it but the 851N can't. Oh, I didn't mention the DTR 30.3 and UDP 203 are part of my HT setup and the 851N is intended for my 2 channel system in another location. I've switched the location of the UDP 203 and the 851N to rule out the possibility of a remote location being the problem.
    audioluvr wrote: »
    How old is this unit? When's the last time it was updated? Try doing a factory reset. I've had to do this twice on mine to get the latest latest updates. Kind of a PITA but gets the job done.

I've had the unit for less than 60 days. It's a refurb from their Ebay store. I've checked for update. I have early updates on. I've tried multiple PCs. I've tried multiple versions of Media Monkey. I've tried multiple media servers. I've reset the 851N. I've reset the router. I've tried Auto DHCP. I've tried static IPs. I've tried everything I can think of.

I think the 851N is supposed to keep the media server informed about what is going on, so when a song end the media server knows to send the next song to the 851N. But for some reason it seems the media server is not receiving the information in a timely manner from the 851N.

Are you using your media server to send songs to the 851N?
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    Crazy! The app is really what I liked about it and if that went south I’m not sure ? Hope you get it figured out! I also had great luck with their support but after this craziness who knows what CA is doing ??
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Just for kicks download bubble upnp to your phone. Bubble should be able to see you media server and the 851n as a renderer. This works for me. The cambridge stream magic app works too .
  • Easy Runnin
    Options
    It seems that isn’t an option on an iPhone
  • Easy Runnin
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Mconnect is apparently an iSO equivalent to Bubble UPnP. I downloaded that and the results are the same.

Am I the only one on this site that uses want to use a windows based media server with an 851N?
    If someone with a 851N or a CXN could try the following with Windows Media Player I would greatly appreciate it.

• Click Organize → Manage libraries → Music → Add. Add a folder with at least a couple songs.
    • Click Organize → Layout. Make sure Show list is checked.
    • Click on Stream → Turn on Media Sharing and allow the 851N to share.
    • Drag a few songs to the play list. They should start playing on your PC.
    • Click on the Play to button 5nznxbqazynz.jpg
    then select Cast to Device → 851N

The music should start playing through the 851N. For some reason I cannot do this with the 851N, but it will work with every other device listed below
    znh3nb9rhpya.jpg

Post edited by Easy Runnin on
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    Mconnect is apparently an iSO equivalent to Bubble UPnP. I downloaded that and the results are the same.

Am I the only one on this site that uses want to use a windows based media server with an 851N?
    If someone with a 851N or a CXN could try the following with Windows Media Player I would greatly appreciate it.

• Click Organize → Manage libraries → Music → Add. Add a folder with at least a couple songs.
    • Click Organize → Layout. Make sure Show list is checked.
    • Click on Stream → Turn on Media Sharing and allow the 851N to share.
    • Drag a few songs to the play list. They should start playing on your PC.
    • Click on the Play to button 5nznxbqazynz.jpg
    then select Cast to Device → 851N

The music should start playing through the 851N. For some reason I cannot do this with the 851N, but it will work with every other device listed below
    znh3nb9rhpya.jpg

No sorry I never did and I no longer have one. I used roon, the Cambridge app, or Spotify connect. All worked great for me. It never even occurred to me to use windows as a server...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Easy Runnin
    Options
    Update:

CA did an software update and now I can play a list of songs through MM5 to my 851N. That’s the good news. The bad news is the audio output is fixed at 160kps MP3. According to CA it’s a MM issued and I need to follow up with them. Funny thing is, the audio output is not restricted when using MM4. Hopefully it’s a configuration issue within MM5. I’ll have to see what the folks at MM have to say.