bandpass

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
im lookingfor a good bandpass sys.dont want to spend an arm and a leg for it .im an old guy but my kids love those cars that go boom .any one have any idea witch ones are ok and ones i should stay clear of?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by maddogmax
    any one have any idea witch ones are ok and ones i should stay clear of?
    all of them
    bandpass=crap
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited June 2004
    bandpass is bad, if they want loud and arn't too worried about sq get them something that's made to run in a ported or vented box
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    agreed, ported will get you more volume and still sound like music. what kind of budget are you looking at? and are you installing this yourself? - this makes a difference on how much money you can spend on equipment.

off the top of my head, kicker comes to mind for loud and not so expensive, namely, the 12L5. or, the jl audio 12W3v2 (yeah, yeah...)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    Bandpass boxes can work but they are very difficult to get right and if youre off by just a little bit they are poo-poo.

A ported box will be louder overall but be more on the boomy side where a sealed tends to be punchier. Sealed will also be more forgiving of design errors and allow the sub to handle more power.

I prefer sealed for ALL applications.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    on a related note... why is it that many studio monitors are ported?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    a lot of HT subs are ported, it was explained to me once but i have since forgotten, you might be able to ask over in the HT forum
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    I dont know for a fact but if I had to hazard a guess I would say most home subs are ported because home subs need to be boomier since the majority of their function is for home theater and a sealed would be tighter and not suited for HT as much.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D