Tankless hot water heater

2»

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    If I move it will be in a casket or to some tropical beach front cabana in Belize. Growing up, my family moved a lot. Kinda ruined it for me.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,550
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Try moving at 70 years old. This is my last move, next one will be to a casket.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Milito wrote: »

I hear you. I was going to move from CA to my retirement home on MD’s Eastern Shore, but I had a stroke two years ago at 69. After that I got lazy, sold the MD house, and decided to stay in CA. Ohh well. That’s life. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,550
    Milito wrote: »

I couldn't imagine it to be honest.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    we make our final move next weekend....home sweet home
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    My current 50 gal tank heater is nearing EOL. Thinking of going tankless since I'm tired of cold showers thanks to our two teenagers. Have received a recommendation for Takagi. Anybody have experience with this brand?
  • audioluvr
    Alternative for you could be to add a second 50 gallon tank heater. Never heard of Takagi other than that was the name of the tower in "Die Hard"
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    edited September 2021
    50 gallon tank.. Set to 140

Mixing valve set to 120...

Equals over 100 gallon continuous hot water... I've taken a shower, ran the washing machine and dishwasher... Never ran out of hot water.. Wife can even go first

Mixing valve is the ticket, super easy to install worth every penny!

SharkBite 24549 Thermostatic Mixing Valve, Brass https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ELY83LS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_6G7BAPZMNYFYJMERXF0J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr wrote: »
    Alternative for you could be to add a second 50 gallon tank heater. Never heard of Takagi other than that was the name of the tower in "Die Hard"

Nakatomi Plaza would have been my guess...
  • audioluvr
    Right!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• I'm using an ECOTOUCH ECO55 electric water heater; it's simple to set up, heats water quickly, and we like it; the only drawback is the low maximum outlet temperature of 116 degrees F, but that's not a problem for us.
  • audioluvr
    So for all of you who either has one or knows someone with that uses the Sharkbite brand valve kits. They fail in a week/ month or year (like mine) and they don't make them anymore as far as I can tell. The swedge ends start to leak so if you have this keep an eye on them. Mine was the cold side.
    The kit is like this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SharkBite-3-4-in-Tankless-Water-Heater-Valves-Installation-Kit-NEW-/165387909063?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I built an alternative setup that won't leak.

Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• VR3
    VR3 wrote: »
    50 gallon tank.. Set to 140

Mixing valve set to 120...

Equals over 100 gallon continuous hot water... I've taken a shower, ran the washing machine and dishwasher... Never ran out of hot water.. Wife can even go first

Mixing valve is the ticket, super easy to install worth every penny!

SharkBite 24549 Thermostatic Mixing Valve, Brass https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ELY83LS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_6G7BAPZMNYFYJMERXF0J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Yesterday, ran the washing machine 5 times. The dishwasher twice. Gave the daughter a bath. Wife took a shower. I took a shower.

Not once did I not have hot water.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    Interesting. So it basically mixes the outgoing 140-160F water with cold to send 120F water to the house. I wonder if It would work with 3 showers and the washer going at the same time.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• VR3
    edited March 2022
    Right it mixes cold and hot water to bring the temperature back down so it uses much less hot water from the tank. This also allows the water heater to kill germs in the tank
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,682
    edited March 2023
    I've installed a couple 240v single phase units on a couple my rental houses few years back. Never had a problem with them except Mg+/Ca+ buildup had to deal with. But the city cheeeeeeeped out and stopped treating for hardness around then I found out, to save pennies.
    They'll destroy your plumbing to cut hairs.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited March 2023
    Since this thread is revived a bit.... I had an electric water heater rupture on me a few weeks back. Came home after 3 hours being out to a small river flowing out of my garage. It was an 80 gal. tank about 15 years old. The safety valve didn't function, and yes there was an expansion tank. Before this, we would run out of hot water after 3 showers due to the build-up. Should have changed earlier, and was planning on it but the tank beat me to it.

I replaced with a 70 gal. propane (already had a tank for an addition furnace). Couldn't be happier. Quicker recovery and lasts longer showers. Never without hot water now. Electric bill dropped $120 on the first month. No way propane will cost that much. Plumber said that I should also get a tax credit next year. In the process, I installed a leak detector/shutoff.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,517
    Our dual tanks are about 8 years old and luckily I had a plumber over to help with renovating the kitchen island and sink. He told us probably time to replace. We had him invoice us the replacements, and lo behold the day before the replacement, one of the water tanks started to leak.

Now we have two new tanks. I went with tanks as I already have the space and the platform for them, no sense in a tankless in my situation imo
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound