Hey guys a little help here

Options
2»

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    Options
    hey macleod, i went back to the store where i saw the premier amps and youre right, they dont make them anymore...i knew i saw them somewhere...the same place sells Focal and Diamond and Pioneer Premier...went back to listen to the Focals again...lol
    i really like that place...theyre all pretty knowledgeable about everything car audio--its nice to talk to someone that can actually answer my questions and just bs in general, ill be moving to college station this august which is a little less than 2 hours away from houston...and houston has everything...lol...including Dynaudio which is a big contender, but im only going on word of mouth because ive never actually heard em before
    these are what im looking at...theres just something about an 8" mid that intrigues me...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Thats a shame about the Premier series. I loved mine. It looked great and best of all had a THD of .004%!

Focals are just flat out awesome. I really hate the fact they are made by the panty waist french but oh well. They also have a **** way of pronoucing their name. Its not focal like a focal point but rather foe-kall. To me foe-kull sounds a lot cooler, but hey, theyre french! :rolleyes: Either way their Polyglass line is the set Im 98% settled on ( I want to test drive some Morels and Dynaudios first). The tweeter is my favorite thing about them. Since I listen to metal, I need a great tweeter. They make an Audiom tweeter which is supposed to be the best in the world but its also like $700 a pair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive never heard Dynaudio but everybody raves about them so Im sure they kick ****. As far as an 8", thats the midbass rather than the mid. However if you want bigger you should take a gander at Morels Elate 3-way. The Elate 9 is a 1" tweeter, 4" mid and a 9" (!) midbass!! You can check em out here. Enter the NEW car line and click on the 3 way systems. Then go back to the main page and click the MOREL WEBSITE and skip the intro and listen to the song on the main menu. Its pretty damn cool and makes me want to buy their speakers just for the song! ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    man i cant wait til i get that truck next summer...i have so many plans for that thing...lol
    im not sure how exactly im going to do the install...well...the component speakers
    i want to do some glassing but ive never done it before and i DO NOT want to screw this truck up...lol
    the speakers are set up differently on the 99s and newer...theyre set up much better IMO
    not to sure how im going to go about it...
    im going to be looking for some new tweets soon
    im either going to buy just the tweeters, or buy another mm6 comp set...theyre only like 170 on ebay and come with a 1 yr warranty(not from polk)--i could get that and send my old tweet thats blown back and tell them it was one of theirs that blew...lol
    that way i have two full sets that i can always sell when i decide to take the plunge and get 3-ways
    the guy i was talking to today said DLS has an iridium?? series that put his utopias in their place...granted he said it was a great install
    so many choices...
    either way...my next system is going to be pretty much TOTL everything...focals, dynaudios, or maybe DLS...
    adire brahmas
    us amps...
    around 3600 watts rms...
    *sighs* i need money...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Oh yeah, DLS is top shelf goods. Scott Buwalda (multi championship winning SQ guru) usues all DLS in his Altima. Ive never heard them either but have heard nothing but stellar reviews from magazines and people in general. I also like them because not everybody has them. Thats why I probably would not go with JL, Kicker or something like that; I want something that not everybody has and that the normal guy will never have heard of them and think they are crap but those in the know know its the **** (i.e. Diamond Audio, Focal, DLS, Audiom).

Ive got big dreams for my upgraded system too but like you I aint got the cash to match. I keep going back and forth between a "budget" high end system (Polk Audio / MTX) and a real high end setup (Focal / Audison). With the budget set up I could have a sweet system easier but with the high end I would probably be a lot happier with the end result! I change my mind everyday! :confused:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    yeah...my main thing now is just getting a new truck...that itself is going to set me back horribly...lol
    -Cody