Sda-2 have very little bass

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    So, just a thought. Based on the age of the speakers, I'd unhook each driver and apply some Deoxit before reassembly.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,731
    How far apart are your speakers in test?

Listening position should be equal or slightly more than the distance between the inside of the cabinets, yours looks to be too close.

You sit equal or slightly more away from that distance, but when you get closer the soundstage completely falls apart.

Also you speakers in test are too far into the room for good bass response, I wouldn't go past 12" from the front wall and that's extreme.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,598
    Did dey catch da kovid? Only explanation left lol.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • sansuibutch
    sansuibutch Posts: 198
    gmcman wrote: »
    How far apart are your speakers in test?

Listening position should be equal or slightly more than the distance between the inside of the cabinets, yours looks to be too close.

You sit equal or slightly more away from that distance, but when you get closer the soundstage completely falls apart.

Also you speakers in test are too far into the room for good bass response, I wouldn't go past 12" from the front wall and that's extreme.

Whatever the issue was it wasnt all placement issues. The speakers simply had no life. When i say they sounded like a loud pair of headphones im not exaggerating. There was absolutely no body to the sound at all. Im not talking about just missing soundstage. When we hooked em up at my buddies we looked at eachother scratching our heads. He has hooked them up previously and said thats all he heard out of them. I was like man these sound terrible and he agreed. We had moved around and hooked up a few different sets of speakers some not even half the size as these with one 8" woofer and they all sounded as they should. In my room i have listened to countess sets in the same exact spot. Either way im not to picky how these sound as they might get stripped or cleaned up and used as wide channels in my dolby atmos setup. I just really wanted to hear what they are capable of beforehand.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,119
    edited March 2021
    So after you secured/negotiated a killer price for them from your buddy, did you then remove the chewing gum you placed on the inside of the cones when you got them home....ha ha just kiddin'.

It does seem like there was some contact resistance/oxidation issue going on that may have been broken through by the 9V DC pulses. I second the suggestion above of cleaning all contacts thoroughly. 1500 grit sandpaper works well for me, followed by 195 Everclear on a cotton swab. I also like Mapleshade Silclear Silver platelet "grease", just a tiny amt..
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • sansuibutch
    Is there a small mod i can do the the xover so these will work correctly with the sl2000 or the new rdo194's?
  • sansuibutch
    Looks like as far as the xover goes the sl1000 and sl2000 are thes same. Mmm. I read there might be some size differences.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Looks like as far as the xover goes the sl1000 and sl2000 are thes same. Mmm. I read there might be some size differences.

Difference is in the tweeter cut outs and size of bezel.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Seeing how you have so many SL tweeters, you might want to get some replacement domes like a few of us have gotten from &***&^%^^%..China and rebuild them. There a good long thread about us doing them. Some rebuilders didn't get good results so there is a chance of bad results.

I think it comes out to 6.00 a dome if you buy 10 or more.

You know, I think Jessie had a great guess as to your lack of bass. I've read you're very well experienced in speakers. I'm like you, 100 pairs of speakers have come through here over many years.

But I have on occasion, wired speakers out of phase. :s It's like a professor missing a date of history that he's taught for 20 years. Some call it a brain ****. :D

I own a set of Polk rt55's that I regretted selling. The guy said his Bose 201's were better then the RT55s. I told him to bring them back and I'll check them out. I set them up and sure enough...NO BASS. I gave him the money back. I was laying in bed that night not believing what I experienced. I had to re-examine my good-ol RT55s first thing the next day.

I go out there, my speakers are in a cottage, and put glasses on. :o:s I had put the red on the black on one speaker. I switched it and sure enough, there was no way Bose 201's or even 301's can match these. I've owned a few sets of both the 201s and 301s so I know.

But I was sure glad to give that man his money back. ;)

I still own them.

I've caught myself twice wiring speakers up wrong. I've learned I need glasses at my age now and I always make sure red IS the positive wire every time now.

I LOVE your set-up also. It's very open. My wife said you have overkill going on. I said no he doesn't. :p I'm a bass head. But I also like my music clear and clean sounding. No static at all. FM. B)

I've just set-up one of my Adcom GFA555II into a system and I'm getting a hum. I'm going to put an adapter plug or two on the end of the amps plug and whatever else I might try that's right there. I'm going to do an examination to pinpoint, if I can, the source causing the hum.

I own a set of those speakers like you talked about here. When I heard these, there was plenty of bass! Impressive bass too.

Good luck deciding on the future of your tweeters. The 194's are pretty good. I've bought many of them. The rebuilt SL2000's are very close sounding to them. But my ears are 63 years old now... :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • sansuibutch
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Difference is in the tweeter cut outs and size of bezel.

Ya im looking at that now. The sl2000 is definetly slightly bigger. I know most people dont like the sl2000 but they sure do sound better than the sl1000. Also its nice that the new rdo bolts right in its place. I guess il see if they can work for what i want to do with them before pulling out my router to adjust the tweeter mounting hole in the cabinet.
  • sansuibutch
    Tony M wrote: »
    Seeing how you have so many SL tweeters, you might want to get some replacement domes like a few of us have gotten from &***&^%^^%..China and rebuild them. There a good long thread about us doing them. Some rebuilders didn't get good results so there is a chance of bad results.

I think it comes out to 6.00 a dome if you buy 10 or more.

You know, I think Jessie had a great guess as to your lack of bass. I've read you're very well experienced in speakers. I'm like you, 100 pairs of speakers have come through here over many years.

But I have on occasion, wired speakers out of phase. :s It's like a professor missing a date of history that he's taught for 20 years. Some call it a brain ****. :D

I own a set of Polk rt55's that I regretted selling. The guy said his Bose 201's were better then the RT55s. I told him to bring them back and I'll check them out. I set them up and sure enough...NO BASS. I gave him the money back. I was laying in bed that night not believing what I experienced. I had to re-examine my good-ol RT55s first thing the next day.

I go out there, my speakers are in a cottage, and put glasses on. :o:s I had put the red on the black on one speaker. I switched it and sure enough, there was no way Bose 201's or even 301's can match these. I've owned a few sets of both the 201s and 301s so I know.

But I was sure glad to give that man his money back. ;)

I still own them.

I've caught myself twice wiring speakers up wrong. I've learned I need glasses at my age now and I always make sure red IS the positive wire every time now.

I LOVE your set-up also. It's very open. My wife said you have overkill going on. I said no he doesn't. :p I'm a bass head. But I also like my music clear and clean sounding. No static at all. FM. B)

I've just set-up one of my Adcom GFA555II into a system and I'm getting a hum. I'm going to put an adapter plug or two on the end of the amps plug and whatever else I might try that's right there. I'm going to do an examination to pinpoint, if I can, the source causing the hum.

I own a set of those speakers like you talked about here. When I heard these, there was plenty of bass! Impressive bass too.

Good luck deciding on the future of your tweeters. The 194's are pretty good. I've bought many of them. The rebuilt SL2000's are very close sounding to them. But my ears are 63 years old now... :)

I have rebuilt countless tweeters with them Chinese domes off the big site. They are so cheap its allways worth a shot with them. I do have a ton of sl2000s. I have been putting off the rdo194's for a while now. My fronts are the sda srs my center i built off of someone on heres design (it is awsome by the way im super happy he posted the build here) my side surrounds are monitor 5 (hopefully find some rta11 for thes spots) and my rears are monitor 4. Im going to try and use these sda2 for my front wides. I also have 4 polk audio rci60 in the ceiling. Ive allways been a stereo only guy but dolby atmos has had me on a little run lately. Il say it is out of this world amazing. I am hooked. So basically i need twelve rdo194's. But i do have about 10 extra sl2000 laying around and really should replace the diaphragms. I was watching that post about the Chinese diaphrams back when it started and it was to early to tell how they sounded. Now i see a few people did sweeps of them and even redesigned the face plates. Ive never wired any sdas backwards tho as id be terrified somthing would burst into flames ahhaha yesyerday when i was plugging in and out that ic cord on these the bottom pin on the plug hit the top pin on the cabinet as i was reaching around the back and boom heard my amp click into protection. Damnit hahaha. On my sda srs i put new sockets and use neutrik connectors so no chance of that.
  • sansuibutch
    I dont remember mentioning it but last night when i powerd both cabinets at the same time with a 9v and and ic connected i never did see the sda mw move in phase or out of phase with the other 2 drivers. But the speakers do sound very differnt with the cable in even with the sda tweeter fuse removed. When my ear is up to the sda mw and you unplug and plug in thr ic is is very obvious that its working. Not sure if thats normal or not.
  • pitdogg2
    On the blade/blade SDA models the dimensional woofers and tweeters do not work without the SDA cable connected.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,261
    On the blade/blade SDA models the dimensional woofers and tweeters do not work without the SDA cable connected.

I don't know about the dual tweeter sda's, but my 2a's don't have near the bass with the cable unhooked
  • xschop
    The Wuhan domes, when properly installed, sound as good as RDO194's in my opinion.
    Hope you find your bass issue as well. A lot of connections to troubleshoot in SDAs.
  • pitdogg2
    invalid wrote: »

I don't know about the dual tweeter sda's, but my 2a's don't have near the bass with the cable unhooked

I should have stated first and I believe some 2nd gen models. Yours do have the sub bass on both woofers with the SDA cable disconnected. I had a pair. Yes some information is lost without the cable attached.
  • sansuibutch
    xschop wrote: »
    The Wuhan domes, when properly installed, sound as good as RDO194's in my opinion.
    Hope you find your bass issue as well. A lot of connections to troubleshoot in SDAs.

Lookong throught the posts i cant tell wich diaphrams everyone went with to get optimal results. Do you knwo wich ones are the ones?
  • xschop
    edited March 2021
    All the ones I modded, either with solderable leads or plastic diaphragm with tabs were @ 7ohm DCR. I made improvements by doping them with vitamin A oil. Cheap, available, and works.

From others that did the mod, their pics look like they were from same seller, as far as I could tell.
  • Tony M
    edited March 2021
    Here you go;

This was the seller I bought mine from on two occasions.

18.00 plus shipping, which wasn't much I don't think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pcs-of-25-4-25-5mm-1-silk-diaphragm-dome-Tweeters-horn-Drive-voice-coil/122208873670?hash=item1c74376cc6:g:z-MAAOSwCU1YuO2o

0rhzez2fqqh6.png

• sansuibutch
    So I put in the order for the 16 of them. Im super excited now. Was really not wanting to spend 600+ on the tweeters. Il go through that "sl2000 hack" thread in the meantime.
  • Tony M
    edited March 2021
    Nice. B)

The shipping arrival date estimate will say a month+ from now but it didn't take very long at all. :)

It took me 45 min., but I found the source of the hum from my GFA555II system. I had a Pioneer CD changer sending signals to 2 different sources. As soon as I took the RCA connectors from the changer out of the Adcom system, the humming stopped. :)

The CD changer doesn't affect the Onkyo receiver system at all. Maybe it's the #2 output of the changer or the Adcom pre-amp's circuit.

I'll do more experimenting later on with a different CD player for the Adcom system. ;)
  • Are these tweeter domes as good as the originals I don’t see any specs
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• Tony M
    Are these tweeter domes as good as the originals I don’t see any specs

Well, when some original SL2000's sound like a honkin dented trumpet, these are a lot nicer. ;)

Now some SL2000's have survived and don't hurt the music as bad as most do, these rebuilt SL2000's are still twice as nice.

I think someone did take some measurements before and after break-in of these.
  • sansuibutch
    Nice. B)

The shipping arrival date estimate will say a month+ from now but it didn't take very long at all. :)

It took me 45 min., but I found the source of the hum from my GFA555II system. I had a Pioneer CD changer sending signals to 2 different sources. As soon as I took the RCA connectors from the changer out of the Adcom system, the humming stopped. :)

The CD changer doesn't affect the Onkyo receiver system at all. Maybe it's the #2 output of the changer or the Adcom pre-amp's circuit.

I'll do more experimenting later on with a different CD player for the Adcom system. ;)

A couple weeks ago i had a ground hum from one of my cd palyers. That just might have been the first time ive ever had an issue like that. The player was plugged into a power strip. I unplugged it from that and into the wall and all was good. Not sure if it was some kind of filter in the strip causing it or what but definitely strange as its a cheap power strip and i wouldnof imagined its empty besides the switch. At least you figured it out. I just sold my two adcoms 555ii. Great amps but i rebuilt the driver boards (replaced every transistor and cap). Nothing was wrong with them when i purchased them but the vas and driver transistors are so close to the board from the factory they cook the board. When i replaced the transistors i left the legs a lot longer to keep them off the board. I also wrap the differential pair of transistors together with heat shrink so they track better. Not taking any chances with any of my nice speakers.
  • Spkrdctr
    Spkrdctr Posts: 10
    You might have bumped a connection somewhere and now it is all working properly. Intermittent issues are EXTREMELY hard to fix. Hope it stays fixed!
  • Tony M
    edited March 2021
    I did have a short extension cord ( about 1 1/2' ) and thought it was that. It wasn't.

But some components are still plugged into a semi-cheap power block. I haven't eliminated that from the Adcom system fully, I don't think. I'll have to see.

Man I wish I could rebuild components like some of you can! It would be a great pleasure to bring electronics back to health. And to have the knowledge to improve on designs is awesome to me.

I don't know why but it seems as I turn the volume up on the Adcom system, there's a point or two where the speakers come alive more. It's weird.
  • sansuibutch
    I did have a short extension cord ( about 1 1/2' ) and thought it was that. It wasn't.

But some components are still plugged into a semi-cheap power block. I haven't eliminated that from the Adcom system fully, I don't think. I'll have to see.

Man I wish I could rebuild components like some of you can! It would be a great pleasure to bring electronics back to health. And to have the knowledge to improve on designs is awesome to me.

I don't know why but it seems as I turn the volume up on the Adcom system, there's a point or two where the speakers come alive more. It's weird.

That is weird. Are you using a adcom pramp. Ive ahd a ton of adcom amps and they all ways souded great. I think using a adcom pre with them is a huge disservice to the amps. The preamps always sounded like **** to me.
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    edited March 2021
    Soooo, what happened with the bass issue?
    I am seeing tweeter talk now.....but....
    Was it resolved?