Looking for 6X5 rectifier recommendation

The only rectifier experience I've had was when I replaced the JJ 5AR4 in my Cary with a 1960s Mullard. SQ improved immediately

I'd like to replace the stock Russian 6U5C that's in my DAC

I'm looking at these 8 choices, sans the 1st offering (Bendix won't work properly). I'm thinking of 4 maybe 5 to try. Unless, those that know rec getting one of each :D

http://www.nostubestore.com/search/label/6X5

I've got no complaints with the way the rig is sounding these days. I just cannot climb out of this rabbit hole ... and I expect NOS to improve SQ B)

Boy, am I glad the 6X5s are away less expensive than the Mullard/Ameprex 5AR4s!!

Thanks in Advance!!
AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
Pre Cary SLP-05
Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
Mains Salk HT2-TL
Rythmik F12

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Raytheon or Hytron would be my first picks. Might as well try Sylvania. At those prices it's almost cheating.😉

I found in the 5ar4 the Sylvania fat bottles are sweet.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Raytheon or Hytron would be my first picks. Might as well try Sylvania. At those prices it's almost cheating.😉
    Yeah, compared to what I’m used to paying, $20 a pop is cheap! I might go hogwild and get one of each. I dunno, yet

pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I found in the 5ar4 the Sylvania fat bottles are sweet.

Good to know. thanks for the tip Ivan!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Yea I hear you. The cheapest nos 5ar4 I've bought was 65.00. Those sylvania bottles are about 100 bucks a pop
  • GlennDog
    weekend bump

Anyone else with 6X5 experience? TIA
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2021
    I thought you were buyin' some 20 buck ones!? :)

I was gonna offer to send you some used ones to try -- but it sounded like you had a path forward (as they used to say when I was in the for profit world) already.

I know nothin' about 'em because there are almost no components here that use a 6X5. I think the EICO RP100 has one in it... but I am not 100% sure.

12596523163_c1262fc73f_b.jpgEICO RP100 rear flash by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The bias oscillator in the RP100 is tube(d) -- everything else is soiled solid state. :|

I do know I have some pulls (plinkers) in the basement. I absolutely can test some and send you one or two good ones (I assume one or two of 'em are good!) for the price of postage to play with if'n you like... but otherwise:

yo2gytxtds93.png
  • GlennDog
    I loved Hogans Heroes! Sgt. Hans Schultz ... Wunderbar!

I appreciate the offer Doc! However, I’m just looking for recommendations from those “that know”…
    Prolly gonna spring for a half dozen and call it a day. That should keep me rolll’n till the pandemic freezes over ❄️
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2021
    Sounds like a good plan.
    It is not (IME, at any rate) a commonly used rectifier in audio (at least, it wasn't in the old days), so it's kind of in a gulch when it comes to tube lore.
    Hmm... tube lore... did you look at VTV to see if they ever discussed 'em?
    I am gonna take a look myself... right about now... ;)

EDIT: I came up dry -- but, FWIW, you can access/download a searchable index to the whole, regrettably somewhat short run of VTV at http://www.tubecollectors.org/archives/VTVDEXnu.pdf

And most of the issues of VTV (maybe all...?) are available in PDF form at
    https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Vacuum-Tube-Valley.htm

My apologies if this is all old news -- and/or if it is of no interest. ;)
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    GlennDog,
    I haven't been on the forum for a while but I saw your thread and wanted to chime in. I currently have a 6x5 TungSol and a Brimar rectifier tube. I especially love the fullness the brimar adds to the sound. Yes I have found the rec tubes definately impact the sound. I had an Lampizator Amber 3 tube dac that I used them in.
    Both tubes were really good for opposite reasons. The TungSol was very detailed and dynamic. Anyway, I have both tubes but sold the dac. So I have not had equipment to use them in. I used to have a WrightSound WLA 12A pre amp that used 6x5 rec tubes. I had a Mullard back then. Very good much like the Brimar. If your interested in the Brimar or TungSol shoot me a PM
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    I have to agree that different rectifier tubes can really change the sound. I have a preamp that uses a 274b rectifier tube, talk about expensive for nos. I ended up buying an outboard rectifier unit that plugs into the rectifier socket on the preamp, now two $10 tubes for that unit beat any nos tubes that I had tried in the pre.
  • GlennDog
    dhart86 wrote: »
    GlennDog,. If your interested in the Brimar or TungSol shoot me a PM

PM Sent
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    invalid wrote: »
    I have to agree that different rectifier tubes can really change the sound. I have a preamp that uses a 274b rectifier tube, talk about expensive for nos. I ended up buying an outboard rectifier unit that plugs into the rectifier socket on the preamp, now two $10 tubes for that unit beat any nos tubes that I had tried in the pre.

I was unaware of such a thing! Awesome!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Welp. I made an executive decision and went with these 4 flavors:

RCA 6X5GT Black Plates 1956
    UNITED ELECTRON 6X5WGT 1950's
    Hytron JAN CHY 6X5GT Early 1950s
    RAYTHEON JAN CRP 6X5WGT

I'm not really expecting a huge change, but ya never know! Going NOS vs modern Russian must make an improvement
    They should land (hopefully gently) this Monday
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Welp. I made an executive decision and went with these 4 flavors:

RCA 6X5GT Black Plates 1956
    UNITED ELECTRON 6X5WGT 1950's
    Hytron JAN CHY 6X5GT Early 1950s
    RAYTHEON JAN CRP 6X5WGT

I'm not really expecting a huge change, but ya never know! Going NOS vs modern Russian must make an improvement
    They should land (hopefully gently) this Monday

Now you have a variety.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I’m intrigued as to how the Hytrons will sound