Question

rnoseworthy
rnoseworthy Posts: 41
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
What makes a speaker less efficient? I noticed the LSi series is all about 88db. The following below is from the Polk FAQ's.

Because loudspeaker efficiency is by far the most important factor in determining how loud a system will play. Efficiency (a.k.a. sensitivity) is usually given as the amount of sound produced by 1 watt at a distance of 1 meter. A medium efficiency loudspeaker rating would be around 87 dB from 1 watt at 1 meter. A highly efficient loudspeaker might be 90 dB. Each 3dB increase in efficiency doubles the sound output for a given power input. So a 100-watt, 90 dB self-powered speaker and a 200-watt 87 dB unit would produce exactly the same sound output.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited January 2002
    Speaking in a foreign language or
    speaking in tongues always decreases efficiency...
    least ways for me it does.

-jethro
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited January 2002
    Sorry about that last post, sixpack insight.
    It is a good question, one I'm sure some sonic
    engineer will enlighten us with an answer to.

-luc
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2002
    I am a mechanical engineer.
    Acoustics is a branch of mechanical engineering.
    Anyway, from the best of my recollection from college days,
    87db at 200W and 90db at 100W is essentially correct.
    I haven't researched this in handbook or anything... but,
    it sounds about right.
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited January 2002
    This sounds like a question for the "Technical" forum.

~JB
  • rnoseworthy
    edited January 2002
    My question comes from reading the specs on the new LSi series and seeing a decrease in efficiency as compared to the RT's (which would require more amplification to produce the same loudness). I was also noticing a lot of the higher dollar speakers boasting much higher efficiency ratings, 94db and higher. I do know that higher efficiency doesn't mean better speakers.
  • rnoseworthy
    edited January 2002
    Thanks for the Answer.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited January 2002
    What would happen if super conductor material became available for less price than pure copper and worked in standard operating temperatures. What kind of efficiency could we expect from the LSi's then? You may have to throw out OHM's law and make it PAUL's law. I want this on my desk before you go to lunch.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."