Frys electronics to close all stores

Options
Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
Game Room 5.1.4:
Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I am surprised they clung to life for so long.

I will always have fond memories of the Frys in Sunnyvale, CA, from my days in the Silly Silicon Valley. It was an easy walk from my place of employment, and I used to go up there often and... spend money on stuff. That was a long, long time ago (1989 to 91). :|

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options

The ones around Dallas used to have a line out front for Friday (fryday)
    sales to buy whatever hot deal was on. It always seemed the employees
    were being held there against there will. Like dealing with the walking dead.
    When Microcenter showed up, like night and day. Strictly pc related
    and the employees were so much better. Microcenter was pretty busy last time
    I went. Their raspberry Pi section was huge.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I am surprised they clung to life for so long.

I will always have fond memories of the Frys in Sunnyvale, CA, from my days in the Silly Silicon Valley. It was an easy walk from my place of employment, and I used to go up there often and... spend money on stuff. That was a long, long time ago (1989 to 91). :|

Yea, and I thought the most interesting part was the whole consignment part. I think Loren mentioned the barren shelves a while back...makes sense now.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    The ones around Dallas used to have a line out front for Friday (fryday)
    sales to buy whatever hot deal was on. It always seemed the employees
    were being held there against there will. Like dealing with the walking dead.
    When Microcenter showed up, like night and day. Strictly pc related
    and the employees were so much better. Microcenter was pretty busy last time
    I went. Their raspberry Pi section was huge.

Honestly kind of shocked that a place like microcenter can survive?!? Perhaps that shows that there is still room in the market for socialized B&m stores with knowledgeable employees...as long as you are in a LARGE market like DFW...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    There weren't any Frys in our neck of the woods but back in the day their "Hot Deals" weren't limited to "In Store Only".
    Shipping wasn't bad so it was all good.

But times changed. Used to buy a lot of stuff from them and Newegg and Accessories4Less.
    Good deals, good times.
    Sal Palooza
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    I liked all of the small electronics stuff and beyond at the Fry's in Milton GA.

A person could spend a day looking at things. A soldering iron was my last purchase about 5-6 years ago.

I think microcenter survives because it's strictly computer oriented.

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    😢 sad
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    The article states it couldn't survive Covid. I have been all the stores in both Houston and Dallas area and couldn't even by something as simple as a wireless mouse as the shelves have been empty for the last couple years. We had to quit going to Frys because sadly, it was a waste of time.

In my line of work Fry's was a staple backup that we used on a weekly basis all over the state picking up parts for service or last minute install needs. I have built many computers with parts purchased from Frys. We have spent 10's of thousands of dollars with this company. We really miss them.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited February 2021
    Options
    We were supremely lucky in MA to have a small, local parts store 10 minutes from my house. Amazingly (?!) he's still in business, right in the adorbs little center (such as it is) of Littleton, MA.

http://www.electronicsplus.com/

Not anything like a Frys, but more like the Radio Shack of days long gone (in fact, he was a R/S "affiliated store" for years, way back when). Bailed my b-u-tt out many times when I needed a passive or (especially) a weird battery!

Of course, closer to Boston, in Needham ('right by the TV towers'), Massholes still have "You Blew It" Electronics, too!
    https://www.youdoitelectronics.com/

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Bought a lot of computer stuff from them 2000 - 2010. Then started buying from Newegg and Microcenter. I was never really that impressed with their sales staff and customer service.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    I used to be a big Newegg guy too, until they tried to model Amazon using 3rd party sales. I was scammed a couple times and/or received wrong parts and Newegg wouldn't back me up on trying to get exchange or refund from the vendor and never got my product nor my money back.

Newegg would just say "oh well they are not responsible" . Newegg was not monitoring these vendors and weeding them out.
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I think microcenter survives because it's strictly computer oriented.

Not entirely true...they sell phones, TVs, and lots of miscellaneous stuff...

I do think their core business is PC parts for DIY builds though. They are always busy. They have almost always had the best prices on CPU/Motherboard combos (at least since Frys stopped being a real competitor). It is not significant, but $40 savings on a combo is worth the drive compared to Newegg. It is also nice to be able to talk to someone who is fairly knowledgeable and make sure you are putting together the right parts, and not forgetting anything. Oh yeah, you don't have to wait 3-4 days for a package to arrive either! I visit Microcenter at least a few times a year. I'm lucky there is one that is not far out of the way coming to/from work.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    One of the founders of Microcenter lives 3 miles up the road from me, has quite the spread.

I like MC, I can usually find just about anything I need there on the shelf.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Frys started out here in Silicon Valley, and I spent many a dollar in Frys over the years, but I haven't been there in 12-15 years. Amazon was/is a lot easier.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • sucks2beme
    edited February 2021
    Options
    In Dallas area, the thing I miss the most is Tanner surplus electronics.
    You could wander around and find great deals on stuff. If you were doing repairs
    or scratch building, they had a lot of parts a lot cheaper than Mouser.
    My understanding is they went under in 2020. I used to go there every time
    I went back to Dallas for a visit. I had a work thing where I needed a bunch of
    2g industrial compact flash cards. They had a bin of them at $5 per.
    I asked for a volume discount and got about 200 of them for a couple of bucks apiece.
    Connectors, soldering supplies, blank project boxes, board standoffs, you name it.
    I guess Altex is still alive and well in Dallas???
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Last year, I went to the Fry's out in Downers Grove Illinois. It was looking like a bad Kmart as far as stuff everywhere from T-****'s to mattresses. The sales people had no idea what they were talking about in the computer, audio and TV sections. The place was a mess. I had a feeling that store was going to go out soon but, I didn't then the company itself would close.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    10ch22biui2e.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    In the St. Louis area we had "Gateway Electronics" off tbe Rock Road.
    It was staffed by ex-Navy ET's and electronic enthusiasts who had knowledge out the wazoo.
    Aisles and aisles of bins upon bins of just about any electrical/electronic part you could dream of.
    They've since moved downtown. I hope they haven't lost their flavor. 🇺🇸
    Sal Palooza
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 602
    Options
    Frys is closing?

Who knew they were still open :D .
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    It was staffed by ex-Navy ET's and electronic enthusiasts who had knowledge out the wazoo.
    Aisles and aisles of bins upon bins of just about any electrical/electronic part you could dream of.

There used to be a bunch of places like that.
    A lot of the people who went to places like that were ex military techs.
    Or Hams. There was also a 1st Saturday open air flea market downtown Dallas.
    IT started out as a Ham thing, but morphed into mostly a computer thing.
    You could walk around and find just about ANYTHING. Want to buy a vax cluster?
    Sun system? Want a pallet of routers? Motherboards?
    The brick and mortar guys got tired of competing with it (low prices and often no taxes) so they pushed hard on the city to close it down.
    IT ended up moving and downsizing. Then it just fizzled.
    I remember getting up and driving down at 5 am to wander around.
    And of course, a stop at the wurst wagon for a bratwurst before sunrise
    was a must.

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Yup Fry's is totally toast. Been getting empty for the last few years. I did get lucky with my 4400H @ $699

The news said they were blaming the pandemic.. BS poor management. The way computer and home electronics have been selling the last year they could have made millions. They managed themselves right out of business. Can't sell anything if you don't have anything to sell.

I like Micro Center, problem is it's 106 miles each way. We in San Diego now only have Best Buy and a few high end stores.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    They had acquired so much debt that vendors cut them off

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    edited February 2021
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »

There used to be a bunch of places like that.
    A lot of the people who went to places like that were ex military techs.
    Or Hams. There was also a 1st Saturday open air flea market downtown Dallas.
    IT started out as a Ham thing, but morphed into mostly a computer thing.
    You could walk around and find just about ANYTHING. Want to buy a vax cluster?
    Sun system? Want a pallet of routers? Motherboards?
    The brick and mortar guys got tired of competing with it (low prices and often no taxes) so they pushed hard on the city to close it down.
    IT ended up moving and downsizing. Then it just fizzled.
    I remember getting up and driving down at 5 am to wander around.
    And of course, a stop at the wurst wagon for a bratwurst before sunrise
    was a must.

Yea, I went to 1st Saturday numerous times in Downtown Dallas back in the day.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    It was quite the event.
    PC parts all over, used and new.
    When a company dumped their current pc's, they would show up there on a pallet.
    Radio shack liquidators would also have a ton of returned stuff/broken stuff
    in bulk. Sometimes you could get a pretty decent deal on something that just needed
    a bit of work. My 1st laptop came from there. It was a 286 clone.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    Frys is where I got my start with Polk. I think I paid $200 for some LSi7. I walked out of there on New Years Eve about 10 years ago with a pair of LSi15 for $450. That’s a lot of speaker fir $650.

I also bought an H/K 7200 AVR for about $700 on a separate occasion. Luckily I bought the extended warranty because it went South and they weren’t able to fix it. They tried to replace it with an 845 or some such as an “equivalent” replacement. I basically told them I wasn’t leaving the store without a 7300, the replacement TOTL AVR. It took a while, but we finally came to an agreement. I got the 7300, but the warranty I had purchased for the 7200 would be considered null and void. No worries there, the warranty had already served it’s purpose.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden