How accurate is Crutchfields audio speaker compare??

MikeUp
MikeUp Posts: 86
edited February 2021 in Speakers
While I don't have the exact matching headphones, I'm close with the brand. I have B&O H3 while I select crutchfield's headphones for B&O H2. Granted, the speakers won't sound exactly like they should since I'm not matched, but I still should be able to tell speaker differences.

What I've found is the Signature series and TSI series sound very much a like while the RTI series sound much different.

In fact my Blackstone TL1 sound very very similar to the TSI100s. If true, would make TL1s and TSI bookshelf easy to mix and match, since there's no small TSI bookshelf speakers and the OWM3 sound nothing like the TSI speakers using crutchfields app.

While the TSI and Signatures sound very much a like, the Signatures are a more laid back sound with emphasis in the upper frequencies where the TSI speakers are more forward and have more emphasis on the mid frequencies. However these differences are very slight and nothing like the differences I heard between the RTI series.

I also found that the OWM3s sound terrible with the vocals very low in the volume and the highs and lows drowning the mids out. Sounds nothing like the the TSI, Signature or RTI series while Polk saying they're voice matched to most. I would say just the opposite.

Also I found some discrepancies in the sound pressure levels compared to with magazine tests. The Blackstone TL2 tested to be low output while the crutchfield app has them nearly as loud as TSI100s.

Just doesn't seem that the crutchfield app is accurate but if it is, then there's some interesting findings.
On to new and better adventures
0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    It seems generally accurate to me as far as it goes. Klipsch sounds ear splitting bright and LOUD, RTiA series sounds bright and more accurate, Wharfedale sounds comparatively dark but better balanced, etc. About what I would have expected to hear in person. Some speakers in the same line from the same manufacturer may sound louder than others when fed equal power. That's normal and is what level adjustments are for in a home theater receiver.
  • MikeUp
    edited February 2021
    Wow, after all the good reviews I've read about the OWM3, to me, they sound like one of the worse speakers ever judging them by the crutchfield app. I was hoping they didn't sound as bad as they did on the app.

Going by that as accurate, I guess I prefer the Polk TSI and Signature series speakers over other Polk series and definitely over other brands except B&W which won't allow an audio comparison. When I heard them at a demo room, I was blown away how good even the cheaper (still very expensive) B&W speakers sounded. Makes sense as the signature and TSI frequency response tests I've seen have them being very accurate and the RTI series being less accurate emphasizing the treble. Which is why they sounded bright to me with the crutchfield app.

I'm considering replacing my 7.1 main theater system's Infinity Reference Main and center channel speakers, and maybe even my Infinity Primus and Entra surround/back surround speakers with Polk TSI for the front and TSI100s or TL1s for the surrounds. I'm using Polk TL1 sats and center for my 5.1 media room system.

While the Signature series sounds slightly different, they don't sound better or worse. Hard to justify their extra expense for a slightly different sound that is neither better or worse to me, judging by the crutchfield app.

0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    What's the Crutchfield app?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Emlyn
    It can be found here:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-xZZp3iu4hmY/speakercompare/default.aspx

I would recommend not taking it as a way of assessing speakers fully. The speakers they have on it are tested in an anechoic setup. The system can't replicate the full scale of output a speaker is capable of in a room. It is good for getting general impressions and hearing differences between similar speakers. What I heard when I played around with it was very clear.
  • MikeUp
    edited February 2021
    Good point as speakers will always sound differently in a room by the way they react with it. I guess the signature speaker series offer a lot for it's extra expense as far as more refined drivers, better built cabinet, better high frequency range(that won't benefit my older ears) and the such. I'm more of a bang for the buck guy even if I can afford more.

Right now the TSI speakers just offer a lot for a little but the TSI100 speakers are their smallest which is to big for my wall areas in the rear. But the TL1s will fit in nicely or I can keep my Infinities. They both are about the same sensitivity even though the Infinity go down to 100Hz -3db (claimed spec) on both the Primus and Entra speakers opposed to the TL1's 135 Hz -3db.

My Velodyne sub is in the rear of the room close to the rear speakers so directionality of the higher frequencies isn't a problem but the sub's high frequency roll off may leave a depression in the higher bass frequencies. However I've not heard any lack of higher bass in media room system which is crossed over at 120Hz, the highest setting of my Denon AVR-3803.

Thanks for the insight!

Hek, I may just have to rent their headphone kit for fun!
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,374
    When I heard them at a demo room, I was blown away how good even the cheaper (still very expensive) B&W speakers sounded.

They make me run out of the room. Life is too short to listen to bad sound.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Surprising to me how many sounded a bit muddy and others like the Elacs were very clear. It would be interesting to have some modified vintage Polks in there but then they might not sell as many of their new high priced wares.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • MikeUp
    edited February 2021
    Yep, the Jamo speakers were a disappointment judging with the crutchfield app. Their voicing as a whole, sounded very inaccurate with vocals muted.

Most speakers sounded decent to good with differences in frequecy range. Klipsch as always sounded pretty bright while horn loaded JBLs pushed the higher midrange frequecies.

Nothing sounded really poor with crutchfield app except the Jamo speakers and the Polk OWM3 speakers IMO.

I've always liked Crutchfield and have bought quite a lot of equipment from them in the past. Sometimes they're overpriced while many times they're very competitive with the benefits of their customer service.
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• Emlyn
    Those Polk TSIs sounded really good to me for home theater use. Especially for the money.
  • MikeUp
    I agree, i really like thei TSI100s sonic characteristics next to similar offerings.

I will say that more and more brands sound very similar, sometimes more similar than other series in the same brand offering.

Years ago speaker voices were very different among different brands. Maybe technology now allows more frequency response accuracy where differences are more subtle than in your face.

In that case, overall output, cabinet resonance, soundstage/imaging, cabinet wood finish, and options of bi-amping seem to be more of the cost differences. With subwoofers so good, low frequency extension is less of a concern to me anymore.
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,356
    Why doesn't B&W allow a comparison
  • F1nut
    invalid wrote: »

Read my previous post.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,493
    It still baffles me how anyone would think this a valid way to "audition" speakers. Other than overall tonal balance, and that's a stretch, nothing else can be determined.
    Hard pass!
  • F1nut
    DaveHo wrote: »
    It still baffles me how anyone would think this a valid way to "audition" speakers. Other than overall tonal balance, and that's a stretch, nothing else can be determined.
    Hard pass!

WORD!!!

President of Club Polk

• MikeUp
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Hard pass!

I agree, hard to go by anything other than voicing but honestly, where do you go, BEST BUY??? Which never has much hooked up decently, especially for an A/B audition.

Unfortunately, that's about it unless you want to take a vacation from work and take a trip to find a dealer who actually has all the speakers you want to audition against each other. Hard to find as most around here only have a one or 2 different brands, are very very overpriced, and want an appointment to even come and audition them.

Amazon, Walmart, Most internet dealers have run out all of our home audio/theater stores. There's none left except custom installers who want to sell and install them for you add a bloated price after you make an appointment to see and hear them.

Then you can buy at internet stores where most fight you on returns. Maybe Crutchfield would let you audition them at home but you're on the hook for all shipping costs. Makes no sense when you're buying inexpensive $200 - $300 speakers where shipping charges for an assortment of speakers could equal the speakers price.

Crutchfield apps are good starting place as voicing/timber is the most crucial characteristic for most people, obviously soundstage/imaging and even bass extension for some, is just as important. In those cases internet research is needed, reading reviews, talking to people who have owned the speakers in question, and then finally you own purchase and interview.

LIfe use to be so simple when you could walk into a store that had many brands of speakers and electronics, set them up and compare them. Times are different and young people hate quality, they're about easiness, cheapness, and wasting no time on purchases. After all back in my younger days, PPV movies were the devil, MP3s would had been unlistenable, wireless poor quality earbuds had no place in a music listeners ears, and no matter how cheap, any money spent on garbage sounding gear was money thrown away.

I long for the days of yester-year!

0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• Coralinus
    Coralinus Posts: 28
    edited February 2021
    For what its worth, I have the polk s55 and I think the crutchfield speaker compare pretty well sounds like my speakers.
  • MikeUp
    Coralinus wrote: »
    For what its worth, I have the polk s55 and I think the crutchfield speaker compare pretty well sounds like my speakers.

Nice to know, thanks!

0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    invalid wrote: »

B&W just released there 600 Anniversary series line up this year and I don't think they will be putting the 700s on there demo page, give them a little while, 600s should be posted soon.

Crutchfield usually only records there best selling speakers lines for that comparison demo, Also it takes a while for them to record and post the new speakers in there system.
    Its tells you all about "Speaker Compare" on there website. I'm not a fan of this type of trail/demo, It didn't work for me but it is nice to hear its working for other members.

I agree the older more affordable B&Ws were bright and harsh sounding but there newest 600 Anniversary series is sweet imo.
    I own the B&W 606 anniversary series now and I demo'ed the 700's also, before I bought the 600 series bookies, I think you will be surprised how good there new tweeter technology and continuum mid sound, Its not dark or warm, it is more refined and very detailed without the harsh or bright highs, Its almost ribbon sounding in a way.

I bought the 600's because there was so little difference between the 600 & 700 series it seemed to be more cosmetic upgrades then sound.
    imo 700s wasn't worth twice the price tag of the 600s. Anyway if you can go to Bestbuy or local Audio shop and get ears on the newest B&W 600 anniversary series speakers.

606 impressed me enough to buy a set and they sound nothing like the old kevlar killers from back in the day, B&W took there affordable speaker line to a another level with the 600 series imo, give them a listen, Its a completely new B&W 600 sound. I am really enjoying mine.

anvn1gfj3y1e.png