Get 'em while they're hot.... errr, cold?

Any steak fans out there, BJs Club has whole beef tenderloins in their case for $5.99/lb.,
that's less than 1/2 of what they typically sell for around here, though YMMV. I picked up 2
yesterday, they avg about 6-7 lbs apiece.

That is all.
So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    omm-nom-nom

Yup, I have to shovel a path to my grill but I think it'll be worth the trouble :smiley:
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    We keep our smaller Weber (18") in the garage -- I'll grille anytime.
    Indeed, I shoveled out a niche for the grill adjacent to the driveway after our last snowfall and grilled some fresh lightly marinated tuna "steaks" Monday night and some (ahem) beanburgers Tuesday night. With Garfield's smoked cheese melted on top, the latter are quite tasty :)

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited February 2021
    I have gotten to the point that only like seafood and bacon. OLD is a drag.

"Anyway, like I was sayin', bacaon is the fruit of the pig. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's uh, bacaon-kabobs, bacaon creole, bacaon gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple bacaon, lemon bacaon, coconut bacaon, pepper bacaon, bacaon soup, bacaon stew, bacaon salad, bacaon and potatoes, bacaon burger, bacaon sandwich. That- that's about it."
  • polrbehr
    ^^^ funny you mention bacon, that fridge looks like ours did a couple weeks ago. I routinely buy 20 lbs at a time from a butcher shop that's 15 miles away because it's the best bacon I've ever had. It's thick cut and if you get lucky, it's on special for $1.99/lb. The rest of the time it's $2.49, still a bargain.

• afterburnt
    Ya know, I used to like a good steak but maybe what changed was Costco blade tenderized Prime beef. It can and will get you sick if you don't cook it to ruination. I can't remember what cut it was but my family loved it until we all got sick from it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited February 2021
    Umm
    Costco and Sam's club have had Prime grade beef for the last year. Then last week i seen both had prime grade brisket and whole tenderloins for 2.48lb brisket and 3.99lb tenderloin. If I had a freezer I would have several in my freezer.
    Oh almost forgot Prime grade prime rib was also 4.00 a lb

In most normal years you'd never see Prime grade beef at any butcher shop or Sam's or Costco club at all since almost all of it goes to major steak restaurants.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Here on the West coast we have Fred Meyer which is Kroger elsewhere. During the pandemic they had whole beef tenderloin for $9.99/ lb. A filet mignon steak (same thing) is $34.99/ lb. I bought like 150 lbs of it. Cut it into 1" steaks and vacuum sealed them. I haven't used a steak knife in months!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I just bought a whole beef tenderloin in cryovac packaging. It's about 7 pounds. I am reluctant to roast it in the oven because I am afraid of overcooking (at least part of) it. We like beef on the rare/medium-rare side.

I usually pan fry steak with excellent results. I am thinking about slicing some or all of it into 1.5 or 2-inch filets. If I open the cryovac packaging, how soon should I use it up. Is the 3-5 day rule applicable here?

Any suggestions are welcomed*.

*Well.....except that. Hell, I don't even think it would fit. :o
  • afterburnt
    @Viking64 slice it up and pan fry it. As much as I like the grill I always had better results with a hot as hell grill pan. If you do put it in the oven wrap it in a ton of bacon, but I would grind it up and make sloppy joes before I put it in the oven.
  • afterburnt
    This thread is sure making me want some Shrimp n' Grits!
  • polrbehr
    @Viking64 cut it into steaks as you like. The smaller end can be used for stir-fry or kabobs or medallions, and whatever you don't use right away can be frozen. I got the vac sealer because I fully expected to freeze most of what I bought. I am also considering trying the sous-vide method of cooking them first in the airtight bags. There was a thread about that not too long ago, it seemed intriguing to cook them that way, then drop them on the grill to sear them. On second thought, maybe using tenderloin for my first effort isn't such a good idea, I might just buy a cheaper
    cut of sirloin or something...

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I am trying to avoid freezing it because I don't have anything decent to put it in. HAHAHAHAHA

It just seems like a shame to freeze tenderloin, and even worse to do so in one of those disposable Glad containers or whatever.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    They will last week's in the fridge if you vacuum seal them.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • afterburnt
    @polrbehr isn't it the sous-vide method that's supposed to make a combat boot tender?
  • afterburnt
    @Viking64 looks like it's ok to just leave it sitting around for weeks.

gm88t2c0ck1m.jpg
  • polrbehr
    edited February 2021
    I don't know, I never tried sous-vide. In fact, I never even heard of it until someone started a thread here last year. It just looked like a good way to get a thicker cut of steak done.

That pic looks like those dry aged steaks at Peter Luger. That must have been an interesting meal when that was first discovered.... "hey, look how nasty the beef looks, let's see how sick we'll get if we eat it." No thanks.