Modding my Belles 350A Reference.

Options
audioluvr
audioluvr Posts: 5,456
edited January 2021 in 2 Channel Audio
Well, the timing was right for internal upgrades. It was either that or pull the SDA 1C's apart and upgrade the internal wiring and I didn't want to be without speakers for that long right now. I had such a huge improvement in sound quality upgrading my Belles 21A pre with Mundorf Supreme caps I decided to try it with the 350A. So I pulled the box out of the closet and proceeded to unpack and set it on my work bench / dining room table. I forgot how heavy this thing was!

Here is the left bank circuit board with the 15 uF Dayton cap and the two Amphion 2.2uF caps
zitdhmaz8uko.jpg

Not bad, just a zillion screws. The Amphion 2.2 uF caps were about the same size as the Mundorfs I was replacing them with so it was an easy swap. The 15uF Daytons on the other hand were MUCH smaller so I had to drill out bigger holes for the leads and new holes for the zip ties since for some reason there were none. All in all it probably took me 5 hrs with inspection, clean up and throwing the ball for my dog.

Here's a shot of one channel board with the caps reinstalled.
4x7v60ibe4q5.jpg

With only a few hours of burn in I'm liking what I hear
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,616
    Options
    600v the only voltage that the mundorfs come in? That would be why they're so big.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    Yes. The Supremes anyway.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus