Subwoofer Recommendation - to go with my new LSiMs

Options
Hey All. You have been amazingly helpful as I journey down the road of spending entirely too much money upgrading my family room home theater! In the last few months I upgraded my system to LsiMs up front (706 & 703s) and added an Outlaw 5000x to help power them and my surrounds. At this point, I'm thinking that my Bic F12 is the weak point and am ready to upgrade my Sub.

My room is 14x22' w/ 17' vaulted ceiling and tile floors. We use the system for 90% HT and TV, 10% stereo. At this point I only want to go with 1 sub, but I could add a 2nd later if I really feel the need. I want to keep this under $1k.

Sub brands I keep seeing online are SVS, HSU, REL, Rythmic, monoprice. Right now there is a sale on the REL HT 1508 for $1k. Should I just jump on that? Thanks for all advice!

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Two SVS SB-1000?
  • JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I would always buy 2-sub woofers over 1- big sub woofer, no matter what your budget is, even if you have to buy smaller subs to fit both in different spots in your room.
    The way bass loads a room and how much easier bass is to tune in your room with 2 sub's is way better!

I always bought one big sub but after learning how to tune my room over the years, I will never only own one sub again, Even if you cannot afford 2 of those top of line subs buy a couple RSL Speedwoofers, SB1000, 10" Monoliths or HSU 12's all day! those should all be priced at or around $400-$600 each, so it easier to budget for two. Two average priced subs, always outperformed one more costly sub also, in my experience. Good luck!
    Post edited by JayDog on
  • csphokie
    Options
    Damn you guys are quick! I really appreciate pointing me in the direction of getting 2. I think the wife likes the idea of 2 smaller subs anyway. Think I'll pull the trigger on 2 RSLs as their price can't be beat and the reviews look great.
  • JayDog
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Good decision, The speedwoofers have a solid amp and sound! There one of my first recommendations, I tell my friends.
    RSL speakers are a little over priced for what you get imo, but that speedwoofer sub is a solid sub and 2, now your also avoiding allot of future tuning headaches with your vaulted ceiling.

Also about the speedy reply, I am stoked waiting for the UFC Fights to start, I have a second hobbie of Jitz, Lets GO!
    Post edited by JayDog on
  • JayDog
    Options
    Your post got me back reading up on wireless 5.1 systems again. I'm still looking for something user friendly and that just works for my parents. It looks like this JBL system is functioning fairly well by its Amazon reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-5-1-Channel-Soundbar-Wireless-Surround/dp/B075SKB4TF/ref=pd_di_sccai_6?pd_rd_w=GoNGV&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=2KPGZ33P7W0SXYGVN1R6&pd_rd_r=0632d401-5194-4943-8338-0c28b71d143d&pd_rd_wg=IwiwB&pd_rd_i=B075SKB4TF&psc=1
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    csphokie wrote: »
    Damn you guys are quick! I really appreciate pointing me in the direction of getting 2. I think the wife likes the idea of 2 smaller subs anyway. Think I'll pull the trigger on 2 RSLs as their price can't be beat and the reviews look great.
    Great performers for the money and two high preforming 10's will surprise some.

For thought, at about $1200 two 12" HSU VTF2 mk5 or Rythmik LV12F are nice values and should ward of the 'what if's' or upgrade bug. The HSU offers the option to run sealed or ported.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • JayDog
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    For thought, at about $1200 two 12" HSU VTF2 mk5 or Rythmik LV12F are nice values and should ward of the 'what if's' or upgrade bug. The HSU offers the option to run sealed or ported.
    Good advice WLDock, I am running 2 HSU's myself and the addition of Q control settings, along with the port plugs is what won me over the other brands.
    The RSL is a great sub also for $399 still? It hasn't gone up in price since its release 4yrs ago, that says allot for RSL also..Good Luck!
  • JayDog
    edited January 2021
    Options
    JayDog wrote: »
    Your post got me back reading up on wireless 5.1 systems again. I'm still looking for something user friendly and that just works for my parents. It looks like this JBL system is functioning fairly well by its Amazon reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-5-1-Channel-Soundbar-Wireless-Surround/dp/B075SKB4TF/ref=pd_di_sccai_6?pd_rd_w=GoNGV&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=2KPGZ33P7W0SXYGVN1R6&pd_rd_r=0632d401-5194-4943-8338-0c28b71d143d&pd_rd_wg=IwiwB&pd_rd_i=B075SKB4TF&psc=1

My bad for the mistake post last night members. :|

F1 if you see this post please erase it here, I already posted it in the correct thread thank you!

I was watching the PPV fights. I ended up finishing the holiday spirits with the wife. I meant to post this in the other thread. Please ignore this posts thanks!
    Post edited by JayDog on
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    Options
    Rythmik is a fantasic addition to the Lsim line. I love my E15HP with my 705/706c and 702fx combo. If I had to do it again I would get a F18 and I'm already saving up for a second one. Having said that since you are budget constrained I'd go with the dual drive VTF-2 MK5 Subwoofer from HSU is a killer deal. Two 12" driver subs for $1069
  • JayDog
    edited January 2021
    Options
    pawelmwo wrote: »
    Rythmik is a fantasic addition to the Lsim line. I love my E15HP with my 705/706c and 702fx combo. If I had to do it again I would get a F18 and I'm already saving up for a second one. Having said that since you are budget constrained I'd go with the dual drive VTF-2 MK5 Subwoofer from HSU is a killer deal. Two 12" driver subs for $1069

Your Rythmik is a beast pawelmwo, That model is servo controlled right? I looked at that sub also before i got the HSU's very nice sub bro.
    I do love my HSU subs if I did have one complaint after owning them for 3yrs now, it is how much room 2 subs take up in your room.
    The subs perform like most brands 15 inch subs or better.

HSU subs can hit in the lowest subsonic "feel not hear" waves like crazy with one port closed. But... They are huge, for a 12 inch sub, it is the size of 15 inch or 18 inch normal boxes, they take up allot of room, so be prepared. 21 1⁄2" H x 15" W x 24" D
  • shs
    shs Posts: 105
    Options
    A servo controlled sub is good and 2 are even better. I am using 2 older Velodyne 15" subs with my LSiM. You can read here the advantages of using 2 subs in terms of cancelling out certain problem room modes and getting a good response in more than one location in the room. https://hometheaterhifi.com/features/custom-home-theater/the-smallcombe-home-theater-ii-part-3/
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Hello! The volume control is broken on Q Acoustic 3030i. What to do?

What??? Why are you posting that here?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer