Linn Genki

Options
LuSh
LuSh Posts: 887
edited June 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I might have a chance to score a "final Redbook cd player" for about cost. The Linn Genki. I won't have a chance to listen to this thing but I've asked alot of people I respect. I was curious if anybody here has heard it? I was worried about it being too harsh and accurate but I've since been told that it would be lightyears ahead of both the NAD and Rotel stuff. I'm currently using a NAD541i.

Another player I had been thinkin about was the Sony XA777ES bought used from a friend. The added benefit would be SACD playback, but I'm not entirely convinced it would hold up with the Linn in redbook playback.
Post edited by LuSh on

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2004
    Options
    a buddy of mine LOVED the Linn Genki when he was auditioning gear. I believe he liked it best out of the Arcam CD92 & CD72, NAD541 which are all pretty good company. He ended up with NAD Silver series gear because he like the system as a whole better.

He was trying to convince me to buy the Genki but I never shelled out the cash for a CD upgrade yet... If you can get the Genki for a good deal you might as well try it. You can always sell it at Audiogon.

Isn't the Genki the CD player that has a preamp built into it, you could hook it right up to a power amp, no pre needed...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I haven't listened to the Linn, so no comment on that. The Sony I use to own, it's pretty good on SACD, but lacks on redbook, although better than a lot of stuff out there. If you're looking for redbook only, you might want to consider one that upsamples to 24/192 and has a tube output. It's a winning combo.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk