SDA grill cloth

Options
Hello friends. Soon I will have the crossovers rebuilt for my sda-srs 2.3tl speakers. I still need two things done. First the speaker cones are very dusty as I ran them with no front cover for years. How do I clean them without damage?
Second, They could use new speaker grill cloth, mainly on the front. I am hoping I can just re cover the fronts as the sides look to be a big pain, plus the sides are not really as exposed or dirty/worn as the front. Where and what type cloth do you suggest that matches good? I do not want cheap junk cloth if possible. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    Original Windex on a lint free cloth to clean the drivers. I've heard places like JoAnn's fabric stores carry a decent material to recover the grills. Others will probably chime in with other options.
  • hytekrednek
    Options
    I do regret running them for so long without the front covers in place. They are very dirty. They just look so great without the front grills, I couldn't resist.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Use two hands to support the driver and keep the rag wet with original Windex. I'd take the coth with you to the fabric store to get as close as possible.

Remember they are doped paper they should be shiny and sticky do not try and scrub it off.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,093
    Options
    Call Magnepan and ask them for the cloth they use on the MG-20.7 This is by far the best looking grill cloth I have seen, and is exceptionally shear, and easy to work with. It is acoustically transparent and imparts nothing whatsoever on the sound of the speaker itself. It is not cheap, but it is well worth the money.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Spray the Windex directly onto the cloth and wipe the drivers in a slow circular motion. DO NOT spray the drivers.

I used this Grill Cloth many times, it's heavy and not as transparent as some, but it's a very close match to the original material.

https://www.parts-express.com/Mellotone-Premium-Black-Speaker-Grill-Cloth-Yard-64-Wide-260-332?quantity=1
  • hytekrednek
    Options
    awesome. Thank you
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    kiwi98 wrote: »
    That was a very good thread about the clothes and I have been added one more thing is that that kind of clothes are easily available at xxxtentacion merch at very cheap rate as well.

6bvulgqf0ch1.jpg
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Quite a face plant.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    The upper end grill cloth parts express sells, it's like 30 a yard is phenomenal and very black compared to a very dark gray like most grill cloth
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.