LSiM 705 base standoffs/spacers anyone have a set?

Options
burialcloud
burialcloud Posts: 30
edited January 2021 in Speakers
Hey folks. Super weird request.

So I purchased a set of the damaged 705’s through audorama that I’m slowly getting in order. They came in way rougher shape than the images and missing stuff.

I ordered replacement parts through polk for everything, but the new base didn’t come with the plastic oval standoffs/spacers and screws that go between the base and the speaker cabinet.

I figured they just forgot them, but polk just sent an email saying they unfortunately don’t sell or have those available at all. Super weird to me. But here we are!

I know it’s a long shot but I’m just wondering if for some reason anyone here has an extra set they’d be willing to sell. Or any ideas on what I can use to replicate them since they are such a weird design. I can’t find anything online or the hardware store that is similar. The screws/bolts I can find, but the plastic oval spacer thing is a very unique part unfortunately.

I don’t have a 3d printer or know anyone with one. Anyone on here have one and able to print some? Would that even work and support that weight? I’m not sure about the material strength and hardness of 3d printed stuff.

Thanks and sorry for the weird question.

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    edited January 2021
    Options
    If it were me, I'd make some spacers out of wooden dowels and call it a day. Are there threaded inserts in the bottom of the cabinet or does it look like a hole for wood screws?

Edit:
    I just measured my 705s. The spacers are 1 1/4" tall. The surface of the base and the cabinet they contact looks to be flat, so that's easy. Don't know about the attachment method as I'm not about to disassemble the speakers.
  • burialcloud
    Options
    A wood dowel wouldn’t really work with how they attach considering the original has a bolt that comes up through the bottom/inside the spacer.

The thin PVC tubing *might* technically work but having that much weight on a few thin pieces of PVC is worrying. I feel like just moving them around or if a cat were to jump on them could tweak it enough to crack.

I’ve attached a picture of a spacer removed from the other one so you can see what I mean. The original disperses the weight and surface area to the cabinet and base using the oval portion and these are incredibly rigid and strong.

Perhaps a larger piece of pvc cut to size with a thin inner diameter might work. But still not a totally ideal situation. 2j97pi1rtips.jpeg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Find someone with a 3D printer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• burialcloud
    Options
    Yea, I have been trying, and that’s the route I’d like to go. But, no one I know seems to have one unfortunately. The two people I know who I thought had one sold theirs recently.

I do have digital calipers, so I could provide exact dimensions if anyone on here happens to have one and is willing to help.
  • DaveHo
    Options
    A wood dowel wouldn’t really work with how they attach considering the original has a bolt that comes up through the bottom/inside the spacer.

You can't drill a straight hole through a 1 1/4" piece of wood? Turn in your man card! 😁

In all seriousness, it's not hard.

• DaveHo
    edited January 2021
    Options
    You're over thinking this. I have a 120ish pound subwoofer held off it's base by wooden dowels. It's not going to crush them, or pvc if you'd rather go that route.
  • burialcloud
    Options
    Yea. Wood might be doable now that I’m considering it more. At first I thought you meant just getting a couple skinny dowel rods and glueing them in the bolt tap area, but I’ve rethought it and think I know what your saying. Wood could work.

I had actually initially thought about shaping new ones out of wood anyway. It’s just a lot of work if I wanna get them looking identical. And I’m unfortunately a little ocd so I’d have to go all in.

Would need some dowels as thick as the thickest portion of the oval. Sand in the oval shape, sand in the change in diameter from top to bottom, drill a center hole for the bolt, and then paint it. Just wouldn’t have those center protrusions/guides.

Mainly, getting them all hand sanded and shaped pretty close would be quite a pain in the balls.

I run a guitar repair shop though, so I suppose I have everything to do it.

Still hoping someone might have a 3d printer. Would definitely be easier and a lot less work.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Sand into shape!?! No man, you can do all of that on a lathe.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Another thought, search online for furniture legs and feet. You never know what you'll find as there's plenty of options.

President of Club Polk

• burialcloud
    Options
    Not sure if you can lathe an oval shape? My uncle does have a lathe but I’ve never messed with one.

I think I have found some friends who might be able to help me pull this off. One does 3d renders as his main job, and the other has access to a 3d printer but just doesn’t really know how to render. Combined we might just be able to make it work. Lol.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Oval you say, eh. Sorry, I never looked closely at them.

President of Club Polk