SUB security

aort237
aort237 Posts: 6
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
what is the best way to keep your box from getting jacked. a lot of people at my school have had that happen to them and i dont want to be next.
Adam
Post edited by aort237 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    dont play your system loud in the parking lot, dont put stickers 'advertising' your equipment to thieves
    and finally, get some carriage bolts and bolt it through the frame to the inside of the box, if they want to get the sub out, they have to take out each individual screw
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • aort237
    aort237 Posts: 6
    edited June 2004
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited June 2004
    Just Put a polk MOMO sticker on your car....nobody will steel it :)
    joking

oh come on...It was funny
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    no... no, it wasnt :D

besides, i'd rather get my car steeled than stolen... i mean, you can fix a few dents... :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2004
    another thought would be, if your using regular phillips screws, take a soidering iron, and soider, melt some into the top of the screw...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    the problem there is that no one can get it back out... not even you (without drilling it out, of course :p)

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2004
    sure you can, melt the soider back down, in the screw of course, and there is a tool that sucks the soider back out, its mainly used for circuit boards, if your trying to disassembal it, melt the soider, and use the soider sucker.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited June 2004
    for my sub box in my old car, I drilled a hole and bolted a loop bolt on the back of my sub box. I had originially planned to get one of those computer anti-theft lockdown kits and glue a piece on my amp, run the cable through some metal parts in the trunk, then put a lock at the end of the cable on the sub. I got lazy and never put the cable in.
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by fairlynew1
    sure you can, melt the soider back down, in the screw of course, and there is a tool that sucks the soider back out, its mainly used for circuit boards, if your trying to disassembal it, melt the soider, and use the soider sucker.
    yup neo, its an old trick, you dont even have to have the tool that sucks it out, after its melted just stick your screw driver/drill in there and back it out
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    hmm... didn't think of that... but what if the thief has a lighter? would that not create enough heat? and if they're in the car that far, perhaps they'd be willing to spend an extra minute to back out the screws?

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited June 2004
    Lighter...I chuckled at that thought....some guy...in the middle of the night with his azz in the air sticking out of the trunk/hatch and using a zippo to try and melt the solder on who know's how many screws...lmafo! just look for the guy the next day with bandages on all his fingers :D
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by TrappedUnder Ice
    Lighter...I chuckled at that thought....some guy...in the middle of the night with his azz in the air sticking out of the trunk/hatch and using a zippo to try and melt the solder on who know's how many screws...lmafo! just look for the guy the next day with bandages on all his fingers :D
    lol
    i just pictured that...
    all you lacked was the sounds...
    "oowww, damnit!, this **** burns, $*@# i burned myself again!"
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited June 2004
    To answer your question, no, a lighter probably wouldn't do the trick. Soldering irons get around 500 degrees. Yes, a lighter can too, but they wouldn't be able to get that heat directly on the solder to melt it. The box would probably start on fire first...
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    lol...i got so caught up in the thomas' story i didnt answer the question
    hes right, if they had one of the windproof zippos it might do the trick, but im not sure how many thieves consider windproof zippos to be part of the 'tools of the trade'
    even so...im not sure if they would spend the time to heat and unscrew every screw anyway...
    -Cody